Best headlights for an FJ60? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.autohomeus.com
I would like to upgrade the stock headlights on my '87 FJ60. I would like the best, street legal (California) headlights I can add without having to rewire, add relays, etc. :banana:

What are you 60 owners using, and what do you reccommend? ???

Many Thanks,

Mike S

check out Hella.....they've got some great high power halogens that drop right in and make an amazing difference (better beam spread, more light).

Man-A-Fre sells them as well as others....

-dogboy- '87 FJ60

IPF H-4's, I prefer them over the Hella H-4's, beam pattern is better IMOP, I have 4(or 5) sets of the IPF's, got Hella's in the fj55, they are fine but not as good. With the stock wiring you can run 55/60 watt bulbs, if you upgrade the wiring you can run higher(I run 80/100) upgraded harness also gets more volts to the lights....so they be brighter.

Oh......and you prolly can't find the IPF H-4's they have a new light that is getting DOT aproval so the non US H-4's might be had to find.

Cibie makes a nice light as well

Thanks gentlemen! I have the order in, new lights by Wednesday!!

Mike S

Rewiring the headlight harness is an easy mod; after doing mine and installing upgraded headlights (blue ice or something they're called), the amount of light I got out of them seemed to virtually double. It took all of 20 minutes to do.

I picked up a harness from http://www.suvlights.com/ maybe 6 months ago or so, but in just looking there, they've bumped up thier price significantly to $55 since I ordered mine. The basic materials can't be that expensive however to put together yourself, and the results can't be matched with just higher wattage headlights thrown in.

When these go out, I'll be replacing with non-sealed beams so I can easily use standard H4 bulbs instead.

G'luck

Cruc

Ordered Hella Vision Plus Halogens - brightest that are street legal in CA. The bulbs are replaceable. I will not rewire unless indicated by lack of adequate amerapge at the light.

I don't want to fix sumpin' that ain't broke, but I will test amperage, etc.

Thanks for your help!

Mike S

What about with the FJ62's and their odd rectangular quad setup?

We've been fabbing our own realay harness but I'm more concerned about the crappy selection of lamps available.

Hella has E-code H4's and H1's for a 62(I have just the H4's on ours) IPF doesn't......well they do(gotta ask nice) but they are set up for right hand drive, so beam pattern is wrong. Cibie as well should have them.

the 62 is a oddball set up, good job figuring out how to wire em up. Matter of fact I'm pretty sure there is a market for a plug and play fj62 harness............hint hint ;)

JohnH

[quote author=TOZOVR link=board=1;threadid=9944;start=msg90479#msg90479 date=1074117652]
What about with the FJ62's and their odd rectangular quad setup?

We've been fabbing our own realay harness but I'm more concerned about the crappy selection of lamps available.
[/quote]

I used to run replaceable Hella lights a few years ago but the silvering oxidizes and peels and makes the lights worse than regular lights. I don't know if they've changed to a sealed reflector or not but I now run sealed beam halogen. There is now the "Blue Ice" lights out which are even better but are a little pricey.

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=1;threadid=9944;start=msg90498#msg90498 date=1074118894]
Matter of fact I'm pretty sure there is a market for a plug and play fj62 harness............hint hint ;)

JohnH
[/quote]

I'll start with this from DS's page and let you know how it goes....if it goes well, I'll be happy to hook you guys up.

relaycircuit.gif

Mike,

How do you like the new headlights? I'm thinking about doing the same thing, but I want a simple upgrade, no wiring changes.

A relay setup is a much more effecient way to run even stock wattage bulbs...haven't had a change to start tangling with mine, but I did replace what looked to be 10 year old Non-halogen Wagners with some new Sylvania "cool blue" sealed units just so I can drive the thing at night until we get the new plan done....very big improvement (granted my dog, taped to the hood with a mag light in his mouth, would have yielded better visibility than the yellowed waterfilled units I got the truck with).

RJ

[quote author=jl link=board=1;threadid=9944;start=msg92503#msg92503 date=1074570404]
Mike,

How do you like the new headlights? I'm thinking about doing the same thing, but I want a simple upgrade, no wiring changes.

[/quote]

Hey, I whipped off the light doors, dropped in the new lights, set them up on my garage door, and now I CAN SEE. High beam is killer. Heading for Nevada tomorrow AM.

This is a good upgrade, and I left my box of wiring tools and connectors on the shelf :D

Mike S

I have the FJ62 with the weird quad headlights, but it seems to me that the bulbs are fully sealed.... So I gather that IPF have a replacement sealed beam insert? or at least one that allows a change or upgrade of bulb?

[quote author=OzzieFJ62 link=board=1;threadid=9944;start=msg94224#msg94224 date=1074819290]
I have the FJ62 with the weird quad headlights, but it seems to me that the bulbs are fully sealed.... So I gather that IPF have a replacement sealed beam insert? or at least one that allows a change or upgrade of bulb?
[/quote]

Ozzie, Looking around, I found you can get the Set of four 165mm lamps. Two H4 with 60/55w Bulbs, two H1 with 55W Bulbs and two adapters from http://www.susquehanna.com

yes you can get an E-code headlights for your 62, outside lamp will use H-4 halogen bulbs(55/60 or better) inner is H-1 halogen, not sure what wattages are out there(prolly 55, 80, 100). But yes you can replace just the bulb on these lamps.

[quote author=OzzieFJ62 link=board=1;threadid=9944;start=msg94224#msg94224 date=1074819290]
[/quote]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom