Best feature of my workbench (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
Today, I was as usual fiddling at my workbench when I was thinking that one of the best features I built into it, and one that I use multiple times a day for less aggravation and time saving is a MAGNETIC TOOL HOLDER.

I put a long magnetic strip on a protruding upper shelf, facing me. It's one of those older HF strips, like 1" wide and about 18" long maybe. Quite strong. So I end up storing my most commonly used tools up there, like calipers, a utility knife, scissors, a couple of screwdrivers. Always handy. And during any given job, I will also put up there whatever tool I use so it's not lost in the nightmarish mess on the bench. Reach up, grab it. Works great.

And in a similar vein, I have a second one, that I stick upright in a little bench vise whenever needed. It's like a handy pole on the side of the bench that you can readily hang tools on when working.

I have a magnetic strip over one of my work benches where I frequently need Allen hex keys and Torx keys. The strip does a fine job of magnetizing the keys in contact with it. I rarely loose a screw off any of those keys....

Those things are great. I have them over my workbench, on my workstation, my grill, and my griddle. Can't beat em'

Downside is that over time it tends to magnetize your tools - which then start picking up all of the metallic cruft laying around...

yes, that can be an issue. Unless you do want to clean up the metallic crud that is, then it's all good...

But no worry, if you have an older transformer-based pistol grip soldering iron, it works great as a demagnetizer. Those likely go for $5 at garage sales.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom