Bent axle @ the hub?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I pulled open my diff cover expecting to find broken bearings and what not when I started feeling a wobble and my sister told me it looked like my tire was gonna fall off when she was driving behind me. I found only good looking parts nothing broken besides the axle spacer pin. I had to use an extractor to get it out and Toyota had a few left in inventory. I made another post about it and we all settled on a bent wheel was the issue. While I still feel the wheel is bent I have run in to more issues. The round of the break drum and the round of the axle don't match up. Same goes for two other wheels I tried other than the ones I was running. It seems the axle is bent? Has anyone seen anything like this? In the pictures you can see the drum almost fits flush but when I cranked down on some lugs on it all it did was scrape metal from the drum leaving a marred edge. The two wheels I tried seem to be further off. Looks like I need a new short side axle and drum.. What else should I be looking at here as the culprit? Would the bent wheel of done this or was it the axle that bent the wheel? Anyone got a line on some parts I need??
20140916_145324_zpsply3lxit.jpg

20140916_145405_zpsgiidcg5h.jpg

20140916_145802_zpswr91cc26.jpg

20140916_145813_zpsnorzzgkk.jpg

Take your rims to a shop with a tire balancer and tell them to check them for being bent. You have to tell them because they will balance just fine even if they are bent. Take a good straight rim and bolt it on the axle you are looking at. Then take something that will remain stationary and set it next to your (off the ground) tire. Measure the distance from your object to the outside of the rim. If you see a huge change as you rotate the wheel then you can be sure your axle was probably bent at the same time the rim was. If it looks to run true replace your rim and happy wheelin.

Spin the axle with no drum (jacked up idling in gear) and see if it wobbles-you can place anything close to it for reference or to actually measure in different positions. bolt the wheel to a front hub and spin it-with something like a jackstand very close to the rim and watch whether it wobbles in/out-up/down.

I ran into the same thing over thirty years ago. Coming back from putting new tires on my now ex-wife told me one of my back wheels was wobbling. Installed the spare and same thing. Before tearing anything apart I switched the back wheels. Problem than switched to the other side. I slide off a icy road back in 75. When I hit the shoulder going side ways the 40 popped on it's side. I'm sure it was the two wheels that were on the passenger side that got bend the same way. So from 75 until the early eighties I drove it with no problem. I had a spare set of factory wheel so problem was solved by switching rims. Steel in the hub is a lot thicker than the wheel. I seen axles that sheared off but in a accident but never seen bent axle that didn't also bend the housing in some way. If your bearing were that bad for a wheel to wobble there is a real good chance it would have destroyed the seal enough that you would have gear oil inside the brake drum.

I am curious what a axle spacer pin is? Sure it's a part I use a generic term for. A picture of extractor you bought? Never used any special tools working on rear axles but if there is a special extractor I still available I'' probably want to pick one up.

I think he meant the retaining bolt for the cross pin in the carrier.

are the retaining screws that hold the brake drum on there ? sometimes they have to be removed for the wheel to set on straight

Never bent one on a 40 but other makes can be slightly bent-which is all it takes to make a large amount out at the wheel OD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom