Belleview (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well i've got an old Belleview that generally looks to be in good shape for my 40..

Motor is toast, could be rewound, but I was wondering if anyone has tried to fit an 8274 reversable motor to a belleview?

Also, should there be some sort of lining on the brake? Right now there is just the metal band and a bare wheel.

Thanks!

I took my old band off, dropped off at NAPA, and they got it relined....not terribly cheap, but it outta last quite a few years....

Good deal.

For some reason I doubt my Napa's will be that capable, but certainly worth a shot!

Thanks! (and for that writeup Woody, it has been valuable-lucky for me the winch included new control cables)

You can get the brake re-lining material at McMaster Carr. I know Woody has put
the contact info for Minnesota 4wd on the Tech Notes. They have rewound motors.
I'm not sure why a local starter shop can't rewind your motor though.

rgentry said:
You can get the brake re-lining material at McMaster Carr. I know Woody has put
the contact info for Minnesota 4wd on the Tech Notes. They have rewound motors.
I'm not sure why a local starter shop can't rewind your motor though.

If I can't get a reversible motor to fit I will go the local rewind route. Only downside to the belleview is no reverse.

Thanks on the Mcmaster info. I will likely get it from them as they are a few minutes away.

mine has reverse. Though I am pretty sure its done by gearing since you throw a lever to move between spool out, neutral, and in- and not the motor actually spinning in reverse. I got my brake replacement from The 4-Wheel Drive Center of Minnesota, phone number 800-328-4445. This link has more info on the winch:
http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/oldwarn.php

-Dustin

search PBB usename log-jam Grant (or something like that. He made a hybrid out of a ramsey and the belvue motors that had reverse.

Thanks silva, I looked up those posts, that is exactly what I want to do.

Supposed to be hitting Tellico in 2 weeks with a group that requires having a winch, gonna try and get this belleview together. If I can get that reverse to work, I'll end up with a $250 8274. :D

There's a old (pre '69) cruiser here at school that belongs to a professor, it has a complete operational Belleview on it, I walk by it daily to make sure mine is getting assembled correctly. :D

CruisinGA said:
There's a old (pre '69) cruiser here at school that belongs to a professor, it has a complete operational Belleview on it, I walk by it daily to make sure mine is getting assembled correctly. :D

Small world. I bet it's mine.

I picked up a non funtional warn 5687, (which is the same or very similar to belleview), the motor was stuck, I took it apart, and it was just that the windings had expanded from having the cable spooled out with the clutch disengaged, took it to the local electrical shop, and the guy there just gave them a few well placed blows with a hammer, till it looked round again, and would fit in without rubbing, then i took it and painted the windings with clear laquer (nail polish) and put it all back together, works like a champ.
-stefan

One more question- from the pictures and the winch I see in the parking lot daily, it seems as though the brake lining is bonded to the drum, not the band that surrounds it?

Any suggestions on what to bond the material with? I will likely order some lining strips from Mcmaster to save time over going to Napa.

Lining material should be bonded to the band - not the drum.

Mine's about 1/8"-3/16" thick, but I would assume it's supposed to be more like 1/4" when new.

Be careful not to make the lining too thick. If you do, then the brake will rub
on the drum even when the band is fully relaxed. Makes it really hard to get
the cable out. You can measure my lining thickness - I would not make it any
thicker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom