Beer Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

These, on the other hand, are delicious:

60D835C8-1960-412B-8A70-DE1801C98661.jpeg

2C5FE428-DCF1-4184-BE8C-38E3B371BE94.jpeg

Never had a beer from Greece before. Very very good beer. I love Hellas and I don't know why we don't see more of it here (as far as beer advertising/claiming to be Hellas).

IMG_0192.JPG

The Michelada dates to Mexico in the 1940s or early 1950, when ice cubes became commonly available in bars. There are two widely known legends about the origin of the name, plus our third choice, the most likely version.

One story says that the Michelada was invented by a man named Michel Ésper at the Club Deportivo Potosino in San Luís Potosí, a town in east-central Mexico. He is said to have drunk his beer with lime, salt, ice and a straw, in a special cup called a chabela (photo #2). The members of the club started asking for beer as “Michel’s lemonade,” with the name shortening over time to michelada.

The next story claims that the drink was named after Mexican general Augusto Michel, also of San Luís Potosí. He reportedly liked to add chiles and a squeeze of lime to his beer. However, this story is known to have been made up by the sellers to “add mystique” to a product called MicheMix, a hot-sauce-and-lime seasoning in a Tabasco-like shaker bottle, used to flavor a Michelada [source].

The most likely derivation is the obvious: Chela is Latin-American slang for a blond, blue-eyed woman, and by extension a light beer. Helada means iced; thus, the contraction chelada means beer with ice. Add mi for “my iced beer.” Just to split hairs, some Mexicans order beer on ice with lime juice and hot sauce added to the beer itself, and call it a Cubana.” The origin is unclear.

Michelada recipe

Mexican lager (Negro Modelo by choice, but Yeungling works too)
2-3 limes (preferably Mexican or Key limes)
Coarse salt for rim
2-3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
1 dash Tabasco sauce
1 dash Maggi seasoning (or soy sauce)
Black pepper

Squeeze lime wedges into glass until lime juice reaches at least three fingers. Add Worcestershire, Tabasco and soy sauces, pepper and Maggi and stir. Fill glass with ice. Pour in cold Mexican beer.

I usually skip the ice since my beer comes from a fridge, but sometimes on a hot day, the ice is nice and it goes down easy enough to have a 2nd one ;)

The Michelada dates to Mexico in the 1940s or early 1950, when ice cubes became commonly available in bars. There are two widely known legends about the origin of the name, plus our third choice, the most likely version.

One story says that the Michelada was invented by a man named Michel Ésper at the Club Deportivo Potosino in San Luís Potosí, a town in east-central Mexico. He is said to have drunk his beer with lime, salt, ice and a straw, in a special cup called a chabela (photo #2). The members of the club started asking for beer as “Michel’s lemonade,” with the name shortening over time to michelada.

The next story claims that the drink was named after Mexican general Augusto Michel, also of San Luís Potosí. He reportedly liked to add chiles and a squeeze of lime to his beer. However, this story is known to have been made up by the sellers to “add mystique” to a product called MicheMix, a hot-sauce-and-lime seasoning in a Tabasco-like shaker bottle, used to flavor a Michelada [source].

The most likely derivation is the obvious: Chela is Latin-American slang for a blond, blue-eyed woman, and by extension a light beer. Helada means iced; thus, the contraction chelada means beer with ice. Add mi for “my iced beer.” Just to split hairs, some Mexicans order beer on ice with lime juice and hot sauce added to the beer itself, and call it a Cubana.” The origin is unclear.

Michelada recipe

Mexican lager (Negro Modelo by choice, but Yeungling works too)
2-3 limes (preferably Mexican or Key limes)
Coarse salt for rim
2-3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
1 dash Tabasco sauce
1 dash Maggi seasoning (or soy sauce)
Black pepper

Squeeze lime wedges into glass until lime juice reaches at least three fingers. Add Worcestershire, Tabasco and soy sauces, pepper and Maggi and stir. Fill glass with ice. Pour in cold Mexican beer.

I usually skip the ice since my beer comes from a fridge, but sometimes on a hot day, the ice is nice and it goes down easy enough to have a 2nd one ;)

Learn something new every day.

Wife found a beer she will drink. Not in my palate but to each their own.
10DA7244-4EB8-4166-96B2-85AE1E1A228E.jpeg

Different. Boozy.
FFC9F8FE-199C-471A-A67B-1A896DF09B37.jpeg

Dominica water

D273A397-9AD3-4E18-9EFC-4080436F486A.jpeg

Not so easy drinker
E43623A8-08E3-44EA-9C61-B30CA8FA7625.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom