BBCNN Run: Rubicon 8-15-08 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When we got back to camp, I had some COOOOOOOOLD BEER that had been sitting in the ICY water of my cooler...I had NEVER had a better beer IN MY LIFE! We then proceeded to head down to Loon Lake for a swim. AMAZING!
I would like to report that the bumper I built took some rather BIG hits off some of the ledges, and also held up under the duress of winching (Granted it was only once...) which I was VERY HAPPY about!

Cant wait to actaully COMPLETE a run this year!
Maybe Ill be able to make it through Deer Valley in a couple of weeks without breaking anything!

K

So did you just pull the pinion and tow it out, or did you have a diff to swap in? It makes a FF a lot more attractive, doesn't it?

You had a coarse spline pinion, I'm guessing?

Time for some polys in the rear too. What are you going to use for gears?

One other suggestion is to add a long helper spring leaf to the rear pack, to stiffen it up and make it less likely to wrap.

I am really close to carrying a spare differential on trips. This is one more example that's pushes that day closer.

We swapped the front to the rear so he could get out under his own power!
After we were done, I was watching Dan's rear axel while climbing a grade...it became IMMEDIATELY apparent as to why the pinion broke as it did without the traction bar. It rotated like a MO FO without it!
I was kinda thinking that a spare third wouldnt be a bad idea either after that. Not very practical for weight concerns though....that is one HEAVY spare to carry!

K

Dang dudes! where did you guys end up camping?

I was saving you guys a beer at the springs.

ken

Holy moly Dan! The hundy project is starting to look cheap in comparison :flipoff2:.

Glad to hear you guys were able to get everyone and everything out safely.

Fortunately we didn't have carnage...but I did end up having to winch my hundy and horizon up a couple hills...twice :rolleyes:. Jack's 80 makes a great anchor and the Warn 9.5XP IS conservatively rated (;)) per Warn! It pulled my 9,000lbish train just fine.

But as you...it just adds to the adventure!

Wow.

Glad to see you guys were able to get it fixed and not be too far into the trail.

Sometimes I think 40's would be better off using the cheapest u-joint at the pinion you could find. That way hopefully the u-joint would go before the pinion itself. Damn Toyota u-joints.

Sooo, do you need a stock 4:10 ratio? I happen to still have mine from the 80.

Jack

Dang dudes! where did you guys end up camping?

I was saving you guys a beer at the springs.

ken
We decided to check out the campground at Loon Lake. To our amazement there were at least four empty sites at 6:30 on a Saturday evening. We snagged what turned out to be a fairly decent site, for a developed campground.

Were you in the yellow and red Helio that was flying in and out?

I flipped it off a couple of times, hoping your were. :flipoff2:

Wow.

Glad to see you guys were able to get it fixed and not be too far into the trail.

Sometimes I think 40's would be better off using the cheapest u-joint at the pinion you could find. That way hopefully the u-joint would go before the pinion itself. Damn Toyota u-joints.

Sooo, do you need a stock 4:10 ratio? I happen to still have mine from the 80.

Jack
Will they fit?:bounce:
You have PM.

Will they fit?:bounce:
You have PM.

They will fit and make a nice swap. You get a fine spline pinion that way, and likely a low mileage factory gearset. No down sides! There is something funky?maybe?) about the shape of the pinion shaft itself and if you want a spacer instead of a crush sleeve, you have to have Sean make it for you. You will of course need a new companion flange which will add to the bill.

Holy moly Dan! The hundy project is starting to look cheap in comparison :flipoff2:.

Glad to hear you guys were able to get everyone and everything out safely.

Fortunately we didn't have carnage...but I did end up having to winch my hundy and horizon up a couple hills...twice :rolleyes:. Jack's 80 makes a great anchor and the Warn 9.5XP IS conservatively rated (;)) per Warn! It pulled my 9,000lbish train just fine.

But as you...it just adds to the adventure!
Sounds like fun. Did you guys do a write up somewhere?

They will fit and make a nice swap. You get a fine spline pinion that way, and likely a low mileage factory gearset. No down sides! There is something funky?maybe?) about the shape of the pinion shaft itself and if you want a spacer instead of a crush sleeve, you have to have Sean make it for you. You will of course need a new companion flange which will add to the bill.
My plan was to leave the third from the front in the rear. Shawn offered to help me set up the broken third for use in the front. Since the front doesn't see as much use as the rear we should be okay if it's a little off.
I though the 40 third used a spacer and shims to set the pinion preload?

We decided to check out the campground at Loon Lake. To our amazement there were at least four empty sites at 6:30 on a Saturday evening. We snagged what turned out to be a fairly decent site, for a developed campground.

Were you in the yellow and red Helio that was flying in and out?

I flipped it off a couple of times, hoping your were. :flipoff2:

Thats cool , at least you guys were in camp before dark and there were open spots.
I tried to raise you guys on the radio with no luck :frown: . You guys prolly passed my pick up parked with some other vehicles on the slabs @ Hot Rock.
Thanks for the :flipoff2: I was in that Heli Fri and Sun , BTW thats the quick way home Rubicon springs to Hot rock @ Loon in 6 minuets :cool:

Nice to see you guys were crafty enough to get out of there! :wrench::wrench:
ken

Back to the story.
I managed to back the 40 off the ledge it was on but when I tried to move forward the pinion sucked into the diff and bound it up bad. Keith positioned his rig as a dead man and we used the 8274 to drag the rig onto a relatively flat spot. The poor winch was in for a work out that day.

Once we had the rig in a fairly safe place to work on it we got started pulling the front diff. Lucky for me Shawn has had experience swapping diffs front to rear. Things went pretty smooth until we tried to pull the c-clips from the rear third. And yes Andy FF rears are looking much more attractive now. The ring and pinion gears were so bound up we couldn't rotate the Axel to get at the center dowel, more on the center dowel later :rolleyes:.
Eventually we worked the pinion gear out far enough that we could rotate the ring gear. Shawn got the big brass drift and the big F'ing hammer and started wailing on the center dowel. After a few minutes of no luck he remember the retaining pin. :doh:
I'm not sure how long we screwed around with trying to get the retaining pin out but it seemed like hours. Shawn had a cotter pin we jammed into the little threaded hole and with much cajoling and a some @#&%&$# it just slid out. I had actually given up and was just sitting under the rig playing with the damned thing while we tried to come up with ideas of what to do next. BTW this is an ARB thing, the stock third has a different method.

More later.....

My plan was to leave the third from the front in the rear. Shawn offered to help me set up the broken third for use in the front. Since the front doesn't see as much use as the rear we should be okay if it's a little off.

There will be shims under the inner pinion bearing for setting up the pinion depth. The shims go between the inner bearing and teeth of the pinion. The crush sleeve (I would recommend a factory one, I have an aftermarket one if you want it.) is used to set up the pre-load (drag) on the two bearings.

Jack

What vehicles have FF axels?
Im not quite understanding the advantage. I know theyre better in the event of a break, but Im not quite sure how.

K

Im not quite understanding the advantage. I know theyre better in the event of a break, but Im not quite sure how.

K
Remember spending half the day getting to the C cilps?

No C Clips on a FF, the axle just slides out. IIRC you don't even have to pull the wheel???

I would not leave the front in the rear. The rear sees the greatest loads and you are putting your weakest 3rd back there (weak, relatively due to the coarse splined pinion shaft). The Fine spline set up is more desirable because it's stronger, everything else being equal. I don't know if the factory spacer from an old pinion will fit the 80 series pinion. I think it won't, but I don't know for sure. From the factory the 80 series uses a crush sleeve. If you can use the old spacer, you just saved $30, since that's what Shawn/Sean (RCD) charges to make a new one.

I do have an uninstalled 1978 fine spline 3rd you can borrow if you need the truck to be up and running, but I'll need it back eventually. It's fine spline, and pattern checked out/resealed at RCD 2 weeks ago.

If there is going to be a diff party, I want in, since I have a 3.70 diff and a 4.10 set of gears from my 80 series. I'm more than willing to travel to Reno to learn how to set up gears.

K

Fullfloats came on most over seas Land Cruisers and on 80 series (most). The advantage here would have been you could have just pulled the inner axle shafts (5 minutes each), and driven out in front wheel drive. Then you do the complex repair in the garage with your good tools.

I would not leave the front in the rear. The rear sees the greatest loads and you are putting your weakest 3rd back there (weak, relatively due to the coarse splined pinion shaft). The Fine spline set up is more desirable because it's stronger, everything else being equal. I don't know if the factory spacer from an old pinion will fit the 80 series pinion. I think it won't, but I don't know for sure. From the factory the 80 series uses a crush sleeve. If you can use the old spacer, you just saved $30, since that's what Shawn/Sean (RCD) charges to make a new one.

I do have an uninstalled 1978 fine spline 3rd you can borrow if you need the truck to be up and running, but I'll need it back eventually. It's fine spline, and pattern checked out/resealed at RCD 2 weeks ago.

If there is going to be a diff party, I want in, since I have a 3.70 diff and a 4.10 set of gears from my 80 series. I'm more than willing to travel to Reno to learn how to set up gears.

Thanks. Good advice. And thanks for the offer of your spare third, we still have three other vehicles running, including the 100, so no pressure to get the 40 back on the road.

I'll post up and let everybody know what is going on. Shawn has only done one or two set up which is why he is reluctant to do a rear third.

Thanks. Good advice. And thanks for the offer of your spare third, we still have three other vehicles running, including the 100, so no pressure to get the 40 back on the road.

I'll post up and let everybody know what is going on. Shawn has only done one or two set up which is why he is reluctant to do a rear third.

The only other reason I would be hesitant to try and set up your rear third is that without the gearset going back into the original housing and without knowing the original pinion shim thickness (I am not sure if I still have that measurement), you could spend a lot of time chasing the proper set up. Whereas a diff guy probably could get it done, set up and be on your way in a couple of hours.

My recommendation, call Sean, set up an appointment, haul the parts down to him, watch him work for an hour or two and drive back, install, have fun.

Jack

The only other reason I would be hesitant to try and set up your rear third is that without the gearset going back into the original housing and without knowing the original pinion shim thickness (I am not sure if I still have that measurement), you could spend a lot of time chasing the proper set up. Whereas a diff guy probably could get it done, set up and be on your way in a couple of hours.

My recommendation, call Sean, set up an appointment, haul the parts down to him, watch him work for an hour or two and drive back, install, have fun.

Jack
What exactly do you mean when you say housing? :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom