Battle BornLithium 100 AH (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

back of the envelope: Fridge draws 5A, works 1/3 of the time: 30/5*3=18 clock hours

Nernst and all is for the front, have a go ...

Ok thanks. My MT45 draws 2.4 amps when running. After that like Tony said it all depends. Ambient temperature, how often you open it, etc. In 70 degrees F mine runs about 33 percent duty cycle. So in 12 hours (overnight) that's say 15 amp-hours which is the max draw down on a 30 Ah battery. I think I'll go 50 Ah to be safe. Thanks.

Yes I may very well be upgrading in amp hrs after this. We'll see! Another thought I had was to install a relay to switch to starting batteries after the lfe drops to a certain voltage. I really only need it as an overnight buffer.

-edit-
Also, I think lfes have a higher usable draw down percentage, maybe more like 80%. Still 12hrs at 2amps/hr. All hypothetical, happy to be the 30ah mt45 guinea pig.

Last edited:
keep in mind that some of those LiFeP batteries have built-in protection circuits and with mine at least the manufacturer strongly discourages having more than one battery connected to the load. Presumably because the protection circuits can't handle parallel connections. Don't know why. But the point is that you may not want to assume that you can just add a bunch of those in parallel later on if they don't have enough capacity to start with.

keep in mind that some of those LiFeP batteries have built-in protection circuits and with mine at least the manufacturer strongly discourages having more than one battery connected to the load. Presumably because the protection circuits can't handle parallel connections. Don't know why. But the point is that you may not want to assume that you can just add a bunch of those in parallel later on if they don't have enough capacity to start with.

I know in the sailboat world they do that all the time. 10-20 LiFeP batteries hooked together in parallel being used and charged via solar and wind generators.

i picked up the battle born 12 v 100 ah and have it paired with a bcdc1225d redarc with lithium profile, so far so good, better than my 2 x 100 ah agms... i have yet to look back

i picked up the battle born 12 v 100 ah and have it paired with a bcdc1225d redarc with lithium profile, so far so good, better than my 2 x 100 ah agms... i have yet to look back
Ok so I went with the reLion 100AH lithium LT(low temp) it can still be charged in cold weather because it has heating element built in Ill also be using the BCDC1225D but I may keep both my AGMs up front with a blue sea ACR dealing with them. Not sure yet but I have everything to install either way .

do you have a diagram of your wiring layout? or did you have it done.

pretty much followed the instructions for the bcdc1225, ill see if i can find online. if it has a relay for the solar, its the older model, the newer model does not need a relay to connect solar.

its a newer model and no relay for solar.

Purchased a small 30ah LFE battery to run the fridge overnight. Bought a relay thermostat to disable charging below freezing. I hear some of the larger starter LFEs have heater elements in them... Not 100% sure on that though.

Im planning on charging it directly off the alternator with an isolation manager designed not to float the LFE. Should have that up and running in a week or two.

Also in my research I found this vid, thought it worth sharing:

good video but the technology from 14 to now is voodoo witchcraft leaps and bounds ahead

Used my 30AH LFE over the last week out camping. Weather was on the cool side. Was stationary for more than 48 hours at one point. Ran the alternator at idle for a few minutes each day to be safe. No problems whatsoever keeping my Engel 45 going. Was convinced I'd need solar to make it work, but it seems to charge pretty quickly off the alternator. More use and hotter weather will tell if its a good long-term solution.

yea, toss a panel on there and you can sit for days. It really is a game changer for long camping trips. I know I have had my setup on the beach running with the fridge, stereo on, and a crock pot cooking a pork butt all day long.

I think solar is on the short list for purchase. Here's a pic of my setup. Still some room for a solar controller.

- Ignition controlled fuse block and relay
- Coach/lfe fuse block
- Battery isolation manager for LFE batteries
- Adjustable thermostat to cut BIM charging below 0 celcius
- 30AH LFE (lower right corner)
- Crappy inverter

Oh, also I was just at Overland Expo and it was a little shocking to learn most vendors aren't familiar with LFE technology. I walked in with my wallet ready for a solar setup.

I think solar is on the short list for purchase. Here's a pic of my setup. Still some room for a solar controller.

- Ignition controlled fuse block and relay
- Coach/lfe fuse block
- Battery isolation manager for LFE batteries
- Adjustable thermostat to cut BIM charging below 0 celcius
- 30AH LFE (lower right corner)
- Crappy inverter

View attachment 1985118

Oh, also I was just at Overland Expo and it was a little shocking to learn most vendors aren't familiar with LFE technology. I walked in with my wallet ready for a solar setup.
Thanks for the details - this is very similar to the direction that I want to go. See you have a Wits End rear quarter panel mount. Will the original panel cover fit over this set up? Also, which 30ah battery are you using? Thanks!

Randomly came across this thread looking for thoughts on a lfe house battery (bigger than my fridge batt to sit in the #2 hdj battery position since I converted to 12v starter). So the 30ah fridge battery continues to be a champ, and after all this time I still get the satisfying clunk of the charging solenoid every time I drive. Still no DC DC converter, just direct 14v charge from the vehicle through the solenoid. This has been one of the more reliable diy projects I've made. Lfe ftw. I did add a solar panel and controller, and the fridge now lasts indefinitely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom