Battery terminals material (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got a group 31 battery that is mislabeled as having automotive posts but in fact it has 3/8 stainless terminals. My truck has OEM terminals, for automotive posts and I do not plan to change that, but only replace them with Slee billed terminals.

For the experts here what is better:
1. stainless steel 3/8 terminals with brass adapters
2. stainless steel 3/8 terminals with zinc adapters
3. return and get a properly labeled battery with automotive terminals

Please look at both electrical (conductivity, corrosion, etc.) and mechanical (securing adapters/harness to the terminals) considerations.

I'd take it back and swap for automotive type studs. It will be easier in the long run...
Not sure which materials theoretically have the best conductivity and least amount of issues from a dissimilar metals perspective but I generally try to avoid stainless-on-stainless at all costs due to its propensity for galling...

Seems like automotive terminals would be easiest if you are not planning on adding a lot of extra accessories that may use the studs. I would return and get the correct battery, but that's just me.

Do you have a picture of the battery? Does it have two connections at each pole (two studs or one automotive terminal and one stud)? If so and a stud is closer to the edge of the battery allowing you to use the adapter and not have to use an extension, that may be a benefit.

Also keep in mind that the studs have a torque rating, so you can only tighten the adapter so much before you risk spinning the stud. Not an issue tightening the normal lug onto an automotive terminal.

Forgot to mention, you can also source battery post adapters where you thread into the 3/8" terminals and end up with tapered automotive style studs.

Linked other thread, post 51

Do you have a picture of the battery? Does it have two connections at each pole (two studs or one automotive terminal and one stud)? If so and a stud is closer to the edge of the battery allowing you to use the adapter and not have to use an extension, that may be a benefit.
No, only one set of 3/8 studs.

I generally try to avoid stainless-on-stainless
The battery terminals are stainless. The adapters to auto posts are brass. Slee terminals are aluminum.

Do you have a picture of the battery?
Here is a link on Lowe's web site
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Deka-12-Volt-1-140-Amp-Farm-Equipment-Battery/50183735

Here is a pic of mine
1695489957493.png

Forgot to mention, you can also source battery post adapters where you thread into the 3/8" terminals and end up with tapered automotive style studs.
That's why my question when I referred to "adapters". Here is a link to the one that I ordered to see how it fits.
Amazon product ASIN B0BXT329JZ
And here is a zinc version.
Amazon product ASIN B07TB61N33

The link above to your battery shows a battery with SAE posts on it (today anyway, 23/09/25). I think that they gave or sent you the wrong battery.

If you have male threaded studs on the battery and all of the cables have eyelet lugs, then putting an adapter to SAE battery posts on those studs only to put some kind of SAE post to eyelet cable lugs 'adapter' on those seems like the long way around the barn to me. The general goal with electrical is to reduce the number of connections in a circuit.

Any mariner with experience will tell you that stainless and aluminum in direct contact and without a dielectric barrier of some sort between them is a recipe for disaster. Since a dielectric barrier is counter to the desired results of the system......

+1 replace battery with standard auto terminals. Just easier all the way around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom