Battery drain... advice needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tech advice needed for a long time LC owner that just can't seem to find a fix to the issue

Vehicle: 2006 Land Cruiser, 155k miles, great condition, no aftermarket electronics nor electronic modifications. No interior lights in the "on" position. It's stock except for some Slee bumpers/skids and larger tires.

Issue: Over the past couple of years Ive struggled with keeping a battery charged. Ive been thru two new batteries. If it sits more than 5 or six days the battery will be drained almost to the point of not starting. 6 or mores days and its dead.

Does anyone know of any "common" failures in the 100 series that might be causing this?

Thanks up front!

I was hoping to just say your battery is shot but if you've gone through 2 new ones and the issue remains then it sounds like you have some kind of parasitic power draw.

I know I've seen some forums floating around on this but I think the solutions vary. Some people have mentioned their door lock actuator. At a minimum you will need a volt meter to start poking around.

Since your symptoms seem consistent, you could take the long way around to try and figure it out. Remove fuses one by one and start measuring voltages / observing changes.

For example, remove whatever fuses control windows / door locks and measure battery voltage. Check voltage again the next day and so on. Is the voltage dropping ? If yes, then that circuit is not your problem .

Maybe as a control you should first check your battery voltage , let it sit for a few days as you described, and check again. This will give you a baseline to go off when removing fuses and re-testing

there may be some other ways of testing but I'm not sure, that is my round about way of trying to narrow it down.

leave the doors and hood open. Wait til it sleeps, give away is that the door open indicator goes out after 20 minutes.
Then you could start measuring. Me, I'd pull anything related to port installed, DVD/NAV ECU drive, anything under the passenger front seat, DOME, etc, take your pick. SIngle battery- 24f, 06/7 should last 40-60 days at the airport and still crank above 10.25vdc

388.jpg

390.jpg

392.jpg

394.jpg

Set the multi-meter to lowest DC V setting. Once all modules have gone to sleep, check for any voltage reading across any fuse. Place the two terminals of the volt meter on two pins in each fuse (while plugged in). If you see one or more mV readings, then that fuse is feeding power to a module leading to parasitic draw.

I knew some folks way smarter than myself would know better techniques lol nice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom