battery desulfation on dual battery system (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently bought a couple of pulse desulfation units but am unsure how best to apply them. Normally one unit would connect to two batteries in parallel by putting the + on one battery and the - on the other battery. So far so good, BUT, on the short dark winter days the batteries are often disconnected by the dual batt charge relay, meaning that neither one is being pulsed.
My question to PowerPulse was how do we desulfate both batteries ALL of the time..? But they have so far not responded to my email of 15 days ago. I wrote to them again today but I thought in the mean time I'd let the board brainstorm this issue. The first thing I asked them is, if I put one pulse unit on each battery for when they are separated, will this do any harm while they are combined?
Sure I can run some extra wiring and a couple of switches to manually switch things around, but I can't be there all the time to watch the relay. So what else can be done?

So far I have one PP unit on each battery for the past month with a circuit breaker open to prevent combining, and I'm pretty sure there has been an improvement in each two year old AGM batt. So I'd like to keep these PP units.

It's this one BTW:

PowerPulse_115193b7-7a53-456b-a181-2820e5a36e9e_large.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: RFB
I look forward to any updates you hear on this.

Normally one unit would connect to two batteries in parallel by putting the + on one battery and the - on the other battery.
Pulsetech claims connecting across one battery of a parallel set is OK. Ref pulsetech FAQ

The first thing I asked them is, if I put one pulse unit on each battery for when they are separated, will this do any harm while they are combined?
I don't think that's a problem.

BTW I have and use both PowerPulse PP-12 and BatteryMinder OBD-12.

Yeah I know about one PP unit for two batteries which I would do if the two were always connected, or even most of the time. But it's winter time now and the temps went into the teens two weeks ago and are staying there for at least another week. Voltages were 12.35 the past few mornings - WITH a 100w solar panel and MPPT controller. (I'm lucky if it stays on 3 hours a day)

I also kinda doubt two units will do harm, but banging opposite each other at 2 sec intervals for each is double the pulsing and if it doesn't do any harm then why not make them to pulse faster? It would logically clean the plates faster, but no company I know of does this, they're all pretty uniform in design/specs.

Anyway as I said I'm about 80-90% sure a mere 3-4 weeks made the batteries charge more fully and hold it longer.

Until this past summer I had a BatteryMinder solar controller and was always impressed by the amount of juice it made from first light till sundown. The new MPPT wont do that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom