Basic ham repeater question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

workingdog

GOLD Star
Threads
Just got back from the Rubicon, and they were encouraging everyone to use the Rubi repeater in simplex so as to not tie up the repeater and not link over to 805. So, my questions is, can I have one memory of my TYT TH-9800 set up for Rubi in simplex (which I think means, no offset, no PL, no encoding) and one memory set up for the repeater, or do I have to go in and change the settings in my radio to switch back and forth.

Yes you can. I have several frequencies in my mobile radio and my hand held that are simplex only and have no relation to any repeater frequencies. The national simplex frequency is good to have as well as several others.

Larry in El Paso

Okay, great. thanks for the info.

So, on my TYT TH-9800, how do I do it? How do I set up Rubi both as simplex and separately as a repeater?

The manual YouTube have showed me how to change the menu items, but I can't figure out how to save them to the current memory location.

I don't have a TYT anything but I do have a few Icom radios. I would put them in adjacent memories so you can switch back and forth from repeater to simplex. The memory channel for the repeater will have a transmit offset in the memory where the simplex won't have an offset in the transmit/receive frequencies.

Larry in El Paso

How is using a repeater frequency in simplex helping much? It may not repeat but you are still using the frequency. Would it not be better to use a distinct simplex frequency?

How is using a repeater frequency in simplex helping much? It may not repeat but you are still using the frequency. Would it not be better to use a distinct simplex frequency?
One use - the simplex channel is set to the receive frequency of the repeater, enables you to tell if another user of the repeater is in range for switching to peer to peer on another frequency. You only hear the repeater's transmit frequency when setup in duplex.

One use - the simplex channel is set to the receive frequency of the repeater, enables you to tell if another user of the repeater is in range for switching to peer to peer on another frequency. You only hear the repeater's transmit frequency when setup in duplex.

I suppose. But you can also clutter up the user-listening frequency from the repeater while doing that. Whereas you could use some prearranged simplex frequency -or even the National one- to contact your buddy within range. Easy to have most radios scan over 2 separate frequencies.
Or have you or the buddy state on the repeater that you are listening over such and such simplex frequency.
Anyways, was just curious about the rationale. Still learning...

Guess I need to provide a little more detail. You are not using the repeater receive freq as a "simplex channel" just using it to verify that a repeater user is in range. You are talking on the repeater and want to have a long conversation with them. They may or may not be in range of your rig, as repeater covers a much larger area. So you switch to repeater's receive freq. while the other continues talking, if you can still hear the other, (takes just a moment to verify) you are hearing the other rig's transmission directly (so in range) then you switch back to duplex and you both agree to switch to a non repeater freq. If you can't hear the other, you switch back to repeater duplex and continue courteous use of the repeater.
If the setups are in adjacent memory channels you can ping pong back and forth quickly.
Of course rather than this you can both switch to a non-repeater freq and do the "are you there dance" until you decide you haven't stepped on them and they are not in range and switch back to the repeater and do the "are you there dance" until they return.

Last edited:
I see what you are saying now. When you say "repeater's receive freq" you mean that literally, as in the frequency that the repeater listens on, as in the frequency your station is transmitting on for repeater use; my mistake. Not foolproof, though, I think, because that also assumes your transmit range is the same as his transmit range. But, can help and, yes, I can see that could result in less use of the repeater and less need for call outs on simplex if done well. Good to know! Thanks!

My TM-D710GA automates this process, it has a function that reverses the receive and transmit frequencies with one button.

From the manual:

REVERSE FUNCTION

After setting a separate receive and transmit frequency, you can exchange these frequencies using the Reverse function. This allows you to manually check the strength of signals you receive directly from other stations, while using a repeater. If the station’s signal is strong, move to a simplex frequency

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom