Ball Mount too long, hits spare tire. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ChuckB

SILVER Star
Threads
**Towing Noob Alert**

Did a search and couldn't find any info on this subject.

A couple weeks ago I was planning on towing a Uhaul trailer for moving. I have in the integrated hitch in the bumper. I bought the OEM receiver adapter and installed it. Then went to Uhaul and bought a "TS1" ball mount. Went to install in in the parking log and the male end (comment away :D) hit the spare tire and we couldn't get it lined up to get the pin through.
Went back in the store and couldn't find shorter one, so I ended up renting a truck.
I haven't been able to find a short one. Any reason I couldn't buy the TS1 and cut it to fit. Would that compromise the structural integrity of the mount? Or any links to find a shorter one?

TIA.

Drop the spare an inch or so, install the hitch in receiver, snug the spare back up.

Problem solved. At least it was on my truck.

Cut it. I have the original short one, but cutting a longer one won't effect the strength.

as long as you still have a total contact length (male/female) in the receiver of a few inches (say 4 or more, guessing) you should be good. Cutting off a bit at the end should make no difference then and, of course, especially if it is sticking out anyway and doesn't add anything to the contact torque.

Now, you could also drill a new hole for the pin that won't give you interference with the spare. You'd have more sticking out, which is probably OK for a light trailer and may be convenient. You want the hole to be just right though.

The OE ones also fit perfectly on stock vehicles.

If there is not a specific trailer you are towing, then I'd consider getting a ball hitch with an adjustable drop. Also helps when you lift your LX, install larger tires, aftermarket bumper.... etc.

I didn't even think about an OE mount. I'll check on the price vs buying a generic one and cutting to fit or moving the spare.

Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as long as you still have a total contact length (male/female) in the receiver of a few inches (say 4 or more, guessing) you should be good. Cutting off a bit at the end should make no difference . . . .

^^This^^

It ain't black magic. Cut that thing off and run it.

Still working on it. I'm planning to buy the mount this weekend. OEM looks to be about $80. Uhaul is $24 plus the cut. I'll report back.

Lots of new OE ones can be found on eBay as well for cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom