Balance Large Tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Done with the search... now I need opinions from folks running the ‘ol hill-billy wheel balancing techniques –
a) what do you run that works (golf balls, bbs with anti-freeze, anti-freeze only)
b) how much should I run with 38.5 x 14.5 TSL SX swampers

Thoughts now are that I would run anti-freeze only – environmentally safe stuff for RV’s so it does not hurt the tires or animals if some spills on the trail.

From what I can tell this would be easy to put in the tires & don’t see the need for the bbs – thought I would run about 24 oz of the stuff (approx 3 cups per tire)

I never used liquid- but I've heard it works.

I had some 35x15.50 Swamper SXs balanced with Equal powder. Worked pretty well. Some imbalance up to about 30 miles an hour for the powder to move around, after that pretty decent.

As far as quantity- Equal puts out charts to help the dealer get the right amount in.

Good luck, keep us posted. Luke

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/BigTirechart.htm

I use airsoft pellets, but after about 6 months on them I noticed that a fair number of the airsoft pellets had disintegrated into a fine powder.

Be careful what you put in there, many BB brands will rust into clumps, also, anything that clumps with moisture is not a good idea.

I am likely going to switch to stainless ball bearings (www.mcmaster.com part # 9291K14) soon due to this fact. At $5 per 100 1/8" balls, it should not be much more expensive per oz than airsoft pellets were.

Note that if your swampers are old, don't expect them to balance out, I ran up to 150% of the recommended weight in my 38.5"s as low as 4 psi on the street and still had death wobble and pretty severe shaking on the highway.

good luck

1/2 cup of rv plumbing antifreeze and you should be good with that size of tire

1/2 cup ?

I settled on 3 cups in that most of the charts I have seen (i.e., equal, etc.) state that I need 20oz of weight. So I went with 24oz which is about 3 cups.

Is there a reason I would only need 1/2 cup? Is it because it is liquid?

Balancing

They are not going to balance good. Just drive it. I like the look on peoples faces the first time they experience death wobble.

I've got 44" boggers on beadlocks, not balanced at all.

But, you can still ride down the road at 60 mph.

That's fast enough.

x2 on the old tire not balancing. They get wore/flat spots/chunks and they just don't balance.

JR

ran golf balls in my old SX's, helped a ton, but still had some DW

added a steering stabilizer, masked it a little more...

added hydro assist, and ZERO DW, even with my unbalanced 39.5 IROK's or my unbalanced 37" PitBulls..

IMO, just do hydro assist and be done with it ;)

what are the specs

Woody,
do you have specs and pics for your hydro solution? I am SO DONE with the DW and I feel it is time for me to really fix it... I am running a saginaw box in the typical location now if that matters (I assume I will need to replace / upgrade that box though with the new set-up)

woody said:
IMO, just do hydro assist and be done with it ;)

laughing.gif
Thats always been my solution

FredTheMonster said:
Woody,
do you have specs and pics for your hydro solution? I am SO DONE with the DW and I feel it is time for me to really fix it... I am running a saginaw box in the typical location now if that matters (I assume I will need to replace / upgrade that box though with the new set-up)
PSC sells whole kits, or they will drill and tap your gear box.

I have seen home grown solutions that went bad. The ram was not matched to the gear box capacity so the rig had severe under steer, then when everything caught up it would over correct. Scary stuff on the highway.

I got a PS conversion from PSC, the one for a CJ. It worked out well, included the gear box, pump, resivior, hiem joints, mounting tabs and most of the hoses. I notice the price has gone up by a couple of hundred dollars since I got mine.

My setup:

West Texas Offroad modified Scout saginaw box
custom rebuildable hoses
West Texas 8" stroke ram, behind the axle to the tie rod (4x4Labs)
PSC pump and reservoir
stainless-braided high presssure line

PSC comes highly recommended for their whole setup, it's nice stuff...mine is well balanced and has worked great for years...I DID have pump issues with the generic stuff, but the PSC cured that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom