Bajarack Megamule (mounting options?) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've had this rack on my 200 for several years. It's just one of the universal racks that mounts to the factory (or aftermarket) crossbars. Any time I'm on expeditions or camping i tow a offroad trailer, which has my tepui tent on it. So for my needs, which are just occasionally putting a few light items on the roof, this rack has worked fine.

The part i do like is the old school single piece style construction, and that its as low profile as you can get for this style of basket. Much lower and better looking than the yakima/Thule or other options. I also like that its just a partial rack and doesn't cover the sunroof. I also like that it's the same rack quality and takes the same accessories as Bajaracks other roof mounted racks.

What i don't like is that it's mounted to the flimsy flexy factory crossbars so it bounces around a bit, and does not at all feel solid if i walk on it. I just have made due as it's fine for my needs, assuming I'd eventually upgrade to a full roof modular option like the slimline II. What i'm now wondering is if anybody has any ideas of a way that this could be mounted to either the roof (with feet), or to the factory side rails. I heard Frontrunner sells the mounting feet separate (can't find on website). So one thought was if it'd be possible to have a metal fabricator weld those to this rack, or ideally bolt on. I was also gonna reach out to Bajarack to see if their feet bolt on. I obviously don't want to pour a bunch of $$ into this, as the whole point is just to slightly improve upon something I already have. Otherwise I'd be better off selling and then paying for a "real rack". Just curious if anybody has any ideas. The easy option would be to get Yakima crossbars, but i really hate how high up this makes the whole thing. Thoughts?

IMG_7158.JPG

804934780.png

Cheapest solution is probably to add 1 or 2 more stock crossbars as additional support. Perhaps you can get one for the price of shipping from those that have removed their stock racks? I use 3 stock cross bars on mine for a roof top box.

Even though the stock bars are flexy, doesn't mean they aren't strong. The flexibility is likely by design for long term durability. Just like commercial frame rails on trucks flex.

I can't see exactly how this mounts. Maybe use large stainless steel pipe clamps to tie the cross bars to the rack bars?

If you haven’t already seen the thread on replacing the stock rails with 80/20 you might want to check it out. Sounds like a reasonably priced, stable solution.

I did the plug and play and look of the Rhino bars @Itsky, but at around $200 for each bar that suddenly gets my total rack investment to very close to what i coulda got a Slimline for. I spent around $600 with shipping for this rack. @TeCKis300 good point on the flexy not meaning not strong. I guess it just bothers me seeing/hearing the rack bounce when offroad. Extra factory crossbars is a good idea, easy, cheap, and would keep the profile nice and low. @Tommy Dwyer i totally had seen that thread...and completely forgot. I actually really like that option, and with the slots would be awesome if i could possibly even mount my TREDs up there. Good options though, thanks for the suggestions. I gotta think on this one.

I spoke to BajaRack customer service. They basically said the answer was no to modifying the rack. I kept talking though and explaining all i really need is the mounting brackets and hardware. They told me to send an email with pics to customer service. Of course they don't sell the mounting brackets separate, but they do have them as replacement/warranty parts. My thought is, if i could just get the mounting brackets, i could then place the rack on them, and see where i would need 4 mounting tabs welded onto the rack. This would be my ideal option, to basically modify this to be a actual roof mount rack. This pic is instructions from a 4runner, but the mounting is the same

Screen Shot 2019-04-05 at 11.46.19 AM.png

response i got from bajarack. Now seeing the instructions i think both the width and length of my rack would be issues not lining up. Oh well, was worth a shot.

"The cost for the 8 brackets is $286 plus shipping SKU BR-TYLC200-BKTS, the measurements for the specific rack for your vehicle are 51”(1295.4mm) Wide x 84” (2133.6 mm) Long x 5” (127mm) tall.The one you have is the Mega Mule, measurements are 48” (1219.2 mm) Wide x 64” (1625.6 mm) Long x 5” (127 mm) tall, this being said, probably it won't match with the rackYou have even if you weld the plates it will be too short, attached is the installation instructions just to have a better idea. "

Attachments

• LC200 Normal.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 76

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom