Baja trip early June (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

workingdog

GOLD Star
Threads
My son and I are hoping to do Baja something like June 8 to June 19. Probably a tour of the northern half of Baja down Sea of Cortez and back up the Pacific side with as much exploring as possible. Looking to put together a group.

We are working on the same thing but slightly later in June and a bit shorter. Let me know if I can help with planning or if you've got questions that I can answer. We are planning a small group of vintage 4x4's and vintage motorcycles. Northern Baja, lots of dirt by day and good food and a decent bed at night. June 25-28 2020

IMG_5592.jpg

IMG_5552 2.jpg

IMG_5671.jpg

Thanks for the offer of help. We had hoped to be at Rubithon (on the Rubicon) on those dates. But, I think there's little chance that Rubithon is going to happen in June this year. I'd love to hear more about your itinerary.

Thanks for the offer of help. We had hoped to be at Rubithon (on the Rubicon) on those dates. But, I think there's little chance that Rubithon is going to happen in June this year. I'd love to hear more about your itinerary.

In the same boat here; signed up for Rubithon but I guess it might not be happening ? Interested in this trip and will be watching this space....

Here's our tentative itinerary

Day 1
Tecate compadre trail to Mex 3 to El Diablo dry lake into San felipe
Hotel

Day 2
San Felipe to B of LA quite a bit of pavement but scenic
Camp

Day 3
B of LA off road through El Arco and into Vizcaino 125 ish miles of great trails
Pavement into Asuncion
Camp or there's a bed and breakfast I can look into

Day 3
Asuncion pavement north to about 10 miles north of Rosarito our to the coast.
130 or so miles of coastal running
Camp on the beach halfway

Day 4
Complete the long trail we come out on 1 just above Catavina into El Rosario
Motel

Day 5
Depending on how we feel I have a great loop about 60 miles around Punta San Antonio and Punta San Carlos
Then Pirate Bar and into Cuatro Casas

Day 6
Wheel up the coast and into Horsepower Ranch for our final night.

This is a trip I’d love to join in on. But given the current events I’m not sure it would be possible?
Do you ever travel down there in December and January, over the holidays?

devo

Mexico is way behind even the US in CV-19 mitigation.
In June they will still be in full lock-down mode.

I spent January and February on the Baja, and your heart is in the right place.

I'm afraid you right about Baja being in lockdown, we may have to wait until October - by which time by son will be back in school.

I'm afraid you right about Baja being in lockdown, we may have to wait until October - by which time by son will be back in school.
What type of rig is required. Any reason my dog wouldn't be good for this hunt?? Id jerk my 74 off the "For Sale" list in a cold second to make this run with my youngest and oldest boys (25 and 12).
Also have a best friend thats lives in Rosarito that could provide local insights and support as well.

Most any kind of rig, shouldn't be any hard wheeling, just a lot of bad roads. Dog should be fine, but there are lots and lots of requirements to bring a dog across the border. Check into that.

Most any kind of rig, shouldn't be any hard wheeling, just a lot of bad roads. Dog should be fine, but there are lots and lots of requirements to bring a dog across the border. Check into that.
Lol. By dog, I meant my FJ. Im sure it's completely worthy. I just wasn't sure of the level of terrain/challenges to expect.

Oh, the FJ will be fine. I'm not sure if you insulted dogs or FJ's.

My son and I are starting to plan a trip Dec Jan or there about. 2 weeks leaving from central Texas. Probably do a northern trip but just started gathering info. Never been there so super excited. Any points of interest and must see would be appreciated. Lots of prep and planning ahead.

I'm trying to find information on when the boarder will reopen. Although they are opening up plane travel to resorts, right now, it appears it's closed until June 22 - which makes no sense to me. I there's a good chance that the closure will be extended to protect the population of Baja.

I'm trying to find information on when the boarder will reopen. Although they are opening up plane travel to resorts, right now, it appears it's closed until June 22 - which makes no sense to me. I there's a good chance that the closure will be extended to protect the population of Baja.
One of my best friends has lives full time just south of Rosarito. He's pretty immersed in the culture, so not like he's an isolationist and home body.
For any one is doesn't know, Tijuana is just over the border, and Rosarito is 15-20 min south of there. All in Bout 35-40 min south of San Diego with light traffic.
Anyway, he says that you can't drive far south past Rosarito without being stopped at a military checkpoint (heading towards ensenada( with out good reason. To get through, you have to be going to the store (I believe there's a Costco or similar) or to a verifiable doctor's appointment.. I'm sure they allow verifiabke residents too.

His neighbor gets cancer treatment in ensenada and was stuck at the checkpoint calling his doctor's office for 30 minutes. He couldn't pass until the doctors office confirmed his appointment ....so apparently, it's more than just a suggestion. They're trying to isolate things things from the south. So many work in us and live in Tijuana cause its cheaper, but they don't want the tourists or even Mexican citizens leaving the bubble. They don't have the medical resources there obviously.
That's was as of a week to 10 days ago. Things may have opened up since, I will reach out see whats up and post again.

Thanks for that update. It sure seems like the 22nd is unlikely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom