Baja Mexico: Part 2 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Port of Indecision...otherwise Northern Arizona
Part 2....of ?

December 23, 2003

I figure that 0840 isn't too early for some rum (ron, in Espanol). Packed up after relaxing on the beach and made our way into San Felipe. Found a great litte restaurant by the shoreline called Mariscos Conchita and had some fish tacos and Pacificos for lunch....lots of food...tab: 80 pesos (about $7.50 US).

Now for the hard part...finding someone to verify that we did or did not need tourist visas! We soon found a couple from Colorado who was heading South, and they just happened to be in the middle of getting their visas from immigration there in San Felipe. They agreed to show is where the office was, so off we went, following their heavily loaded Chevy quad cab.

The immigration office in San Felipe is a white, concrete block structure by the main roundabout, and you'd miss it easily if you don't know where to look. Sure enough, we can get our visas here! The immigration officer fills out our paperwork, then directs us back to the bank to pay our $20 US each, get the bank stamps on the forms, then return for the final immigration stamp. All in all pretty easy. I feel much better having the proper paperwork, just in case we're asked at a military checkpoint!

We then head out to Campo Nuevo Mazatlan, about 32 Km South of San Felipe, where we've told Skeddy we would meet up with him that evening. Next time we'll pick a spot closer to San Felipe...

Sure enough, I get Skeddy on our SAR radios (which we have in addition to CBs) right on time!

December 24, 2003

We're awakened to the sound of pelicans diving for fish right off the beach. A couple of times that night we stuck our heads out of the tent to see if we were above high tide...it sounded pretty close, but we have a good ten feet to spare.

Headed back into San Felipe to get Skeddy his visa...wouldn't ya know it...he can get the "short form" which allows him to pay the immigration officer $20 US directly, without going to the bank...Hmm. I think it was La Mordida day at the immigration office!

While Skeddy was in with immigration, I stop to check out a leak from the steering box...o' well, I'll have a well lubed front stabilizer and driver side coil spring. Doesn't look bad enough to deal with, and I figure if it totally goes I can pull it and seal it with some gasket goo to make it back, or just pull the ps belt and do without power steering...

Stop by the local Pemex (All gas stations in Mexico are govt' run facilities, technically...) and top off the tank and fill the two 20L Nato cans in the back of the rig before heading to Bahia de San Luis Gonzaga, about 75 miles down the East coastline. The road reminds me of some of the San Juan Colorado trails, rough, shale with great views. It follows the coastline for the most part, with islands and the Sea of Cortez in the distance.

After dark we find a deserted palapa and make camp. We find out pretty quickly that Skeddy's short stint in culinary school comes in handy, as he fixes up some tortilla soup and fresh walnut crusted shrimp we purchased fresh in San Felipe! No Ramen and tuna here! Save that for climbing, we're on the beach!

December 25, 2003

Merry Christmas!

The day is heating up fast, and we're all anxious to get the kayaks in the water, so we grab some bagels and go for a paddle. Water is cold, but glassy. We're followed by a curious seal, and watch numerous sea birds diving for fish. A great way to spend the day!

After paddling, we're all interested in finding some fresh fish tacos, so we load up and head into Gonzaga. The Pemex station is closed, very closed...not just because of Christmas, but we find Alfonsinia's restaurant and hotel open. Great views and exemplary tacos de camaron (Shrimp Tacos). We look over a rented Ford Taurus which is bleeding transmission fluid profusely from a dented AT pan. Guess a little more ground clearance is a good thing.... We offer to help if they can't find a mechanic (which they did, and got the problem fixed for $30).

We camp at a nice palapa on the beach, the wind picks up, and we bivy in the back of Skeddy's 80 to a dinner of Spongebob Mac n Cheese over the mountaineering stove. The wind gives the Hannibal roof tent a workout, but no failures!

Next: Bahia de Los Angeles and Guerro Negro!

-H-

Chillin' listening to New Zealand news on the shortwave:

Sounds like so far the tent was holding up.

Great write up and pics. So it sounds like yall had a frickin great time out there. Jealous is an understatement.

I can only second Junk's comments! Jeez, what has this world come to. :flipoff2:

Hi Hilt:
could you elaborate a bit on how the tent (and the rack) held up? Seems like it's sticking way out there...
thanks
Eric

e,
I'll let Hltpper elaborate, but the tent is designed as a fold out tent and that's the idea. It mounts to the rack, then it folds out and over the back.

(Junk, your being so polite and such gives me the chills.... WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT DID YOU DO WITH OUR JUNK????)

anyways, I'm surprised this thing holds up so well, doesn't seem to have very sturdy feet under the protruding part...

:)

Eric

You guys are so lucky!!! Don't envy you as I am sure you earned this trip. Someday I'll take one myself. After living there for 6 months (San Vicente Guererro) I learned the sunrise is the best part of a Baja day!

Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom