Baffling issue with 2006 Toyota LandCruiser 120: engine quits when at idle, once ignition key is released (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

I’m trying to help out my uncle: before retirement he ran a successful garage for many years, but now he has a peculiar issue with his own daily ride, that seems to puzzle everyone he knows. Here I try to convey the information he gave me, so I don’t have all the details, but if nonetheless someone recognizes the issue or could provide us with some pointers, we would both be grateful.

The engine intermittently quits at idle. The engine can be restarted, and it turns over, but quits the moment he releases the ignition switch out of the start position. Also, pushing the throttle doesn’t increase rpm: it just stays idling until the key is let go.

He found a temporary workaround to get the car starting again: disconnect the poles of the battery, connect the poles together to get rid of residual voltage, and the car starts normally again. The problem is so persistent that my uncle even considers routing the battery leads into the cabin, so he can use the workaround fix without having to leave the car!

He replaced the fuel filter, that didn’t help.

They can’t do a diagnostics readout for some reason. Perhaps the model is too old.

My guess, and it is only a guess, is the ignition switch has failed

+1 on the ignition switch. Or, something to do with the chip in the key and the pickup ring around the ignition switch tumbler. Or an ECU issue...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom