Bad CAT? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys,

I dropped off my '95 cruiser (140k miles now, purchased a few months back with 138k) at the Toyota dealer this morning to have the knuckles /Birfields repacked ( I wanted to do this myself but I was never gonna get to it with my current work load). I also asked them to run the code on my check engine light that came on shortly after I changed the O2 sensors (DIY repair). The repack is done cha-ching but they are saying I have a bad front CAT and that it'll cost me $1,475 for the CAT and $458 for a section of pipe ??? Is there a section of exhaust that gets sacrificed when swapping out a CAT? Is there a source for a cheaper CAT replacement (generic)? Better yet, could someone tell me what the code is for a bad CAT so I can give myself a second opinion? I was hoping to go wheelin' this weekend - will it do any_more_ harm to drive the truck with the bad CAT for a few hundred miles? Any feedback very much appreciated.

Peter

Mudslinger,

Wow, that is a :cry: in' shame after just buying the vehicle. I can't believe the price they are saying, typical Toyota. You can find after market CATS, just need to go to a muffler shop. Possibly do some calling around in your area. I have one aftermarket in place of the two. I guess I should have kept the original two to sell off, they only had 35k miles through them. As far as the CAT causing you problems, yes and no. &nbsp:Depends if the CAT is plugging up then you will loose some power and performance ( I had a different vehicle that had a plugged CAT and with the pedal to the metal she could just barely hold 20 MPH). The only concern I am not sure about depending upon what is wrong with it and if you have the o2 sensors before and after the CATS like my 97 if it could cause your Cruiser to run lean. I wouldn't think so though. As far as setting a code for that problem? Only code that I can think of that the CATS could set would be related to your o2 sensors, otherwise I don't think you would get a code. If that helps :dunno:

Yomama

Hey peter, Yes, there are generic cats and high performance cats you can buy. The generic cats cost around $60-70 and the high performance ones cost about $70-120 depending on who you go through. Summit racing and J.C. Whitney have some good prices so check them. Midas or a local mechanic you trust can eaisly put in the new cat(s) and it definatly wont cost almost 2k thats nuts. I was quoted about $300 for the cat and the labor and everything done. Its good you already changed the o2 sensors, when you put in a new cat(s) you will notice a definate performance diffrence. I am not sure if the car will be picky as to have only one cat. (some one help me here) i'm not sure if the 02 sensors will freak if there is only one cat, but i do know with only one you probably will get better performance if the o2's take it. but thats what i know (not much but its better then nothin) keep me informed because i need a new cat too.

-Bryan

Peter,
The short answer is yes... Just get an aftermarket cat.

I destroyed my #1 on a small boulder. Shortly thereafter I got an astronomical price on my new cats over the phone from a dealership. Basically 1400 in parts with no labor. There are several reasons for there price. I believe the #1 cat also comes with the pipe that down turns from the exhaust manifold? Could be wrong on that one. Cats are plain expensive. Not really going to go into it but it's been scoured over here recently. It's Toyota OEM and they are proud of their parts. Search some of the older posts for a little more info.

Not real sure why you pulled a code, but if the upstream sensor is detecting the same amount from the downstream than that my trigger it. You also said you DIY'ed the 02's prior to this. Even if you had a bunk 02 if you did not reset the computer after the repair it will not self heal. It has to be reset with a scanner or at the least a code reader.

Now for the good news. I like yourself have a 95 and have had no problems with an aftermarket cat. Not real sure on where you’re at in the world but I had a local Meineke fix it on the cheap. It cost me jus over 200 for a new cat as well as all the labor associated with it. It’s a high flow stainless cat. Cost was around 160 bucks. This one high flow cat will replace your 2 original ones. Also there is more ground clearance since it is shallower.

I don’t see the point in going back to OEM stuff unless you have money to burn. Although you did have the dealership repack your birfs. :slap: If you don’t mind my asking what did that set you back?

I would consider looking at the quality of cats yourself before going to Minicke :slap:( however you spell it) I had one replaced with a muffler and found it falling apart after 2 years on the truck.The cats doesn't have a hole but is coming apart at the welded seams. This allowed corrosive gas to get near the body of truck and now I got rust holes on the driver's floorboard (2"x4") and inside rocker panels( 3"x5"). I don't see any other rusted out body parts on the truck's bottom as I seen near the cat.. I think maybe the floorboard rust was due to road salt brought in by driping shoes but the carpet is in good condition and it does not account for the rust on the inside of the rocker panels but not on the outside.
The muffler has a hole big enough to put a hand in :mad:but luckily it is pointing down( problably due to water/condensation build up). The hole problably developed less than a year after installation. I would recommend that you choose your cats or you might pay twice in labor even though the muffler/cat has a lifetime warranty.
My price to put on a new warrantied muffler (labor and parts)= 130 bucks. I rather buy a good muffler and put it on myself than pay those guys another 130 in a few years. Just a word of caution.good luck. By the way did you discconect your battery after the O2 sensor change? the codes could still be in the comp. system.

Yomama- Yeah, I'm not too happy about this "little" surprise, but I got the truck cheap. I knew I'd have to tackle the knuckles but the Cats... At the dealer's price I'll get an aftermarket -AND a Slee bumper :D Seriously tho, I really am nervous about driving to my camp this weekend.

Archie -After I installed the new O2 sensors I had the local service station reset the computer for me. The sensors were new Toyota parts.

Moralien- The stealership lightened my wallet by 800 for complete knuckle / birfield service and new fluids in diffs. Another dealer wanted 1,200 :eek: It's a lot of money but I'm self-employed and work long hours. &nbsp:Doing this myself would mean MANY hours either not working (no income) or losing what little free time I have as it is. Besides, the cruiser is my work car and I get to deduct some of the cost at tax time

I got a e-mail that thay can be rebuilt.

"Hey, I just read your post on the SOR forum about converters on your cruiser. At 103000 my check engine light kept coming on with a code for the cats being bad. I live in Northern Virginia and we have emissions testing and they wont even look at a car that has a check engine light on so I thought I had to sell one of my kids to get new converters. I found Kansas City Converters on the web and for 400 and change they sent me OEM rebuilt converters that were exactly like mine, painted real nice and a large box with prepaid shipping to send my old ones back to them. Had my dealer install for around 150 dollars. A week later I replaced the front O2 sensor on the dealers recomendation and with all new parts (no rust,etc) this took me 15 min. 15000 later and no problems to report. I have a 95 with OME med and 295 Nitto Terra Grapplers. The suspension and tires were a great upgrade which greatly enhanced the whole cruiser experience. And with all the cruisers at the mall it is much easier to tell which one is mine. Tires and lift gave an extra 4 inches before and after.

Fred Mueller, Sterling VA "

kurt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom