bad alternator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My alternator went bad the other day and i replaced it with one i was gived. Supposed to be good. Anyway, i had a white plug and this one was green. Not a big deal i figure because the pins on the alt are labeled F, E, and N and the stud is B on both. I cut of the plug and put on spade connectors and hook it all up and ta-da. The stupid alt is putting out zero juice. I am certain i have it hooked up correctly but it gives nothing. Any suggestions. The F and E are hooked up but the N is a dead end and was prior to the fix. I have it hooked up exactly the same way and it looks the same as the other alt except for the plug color. Any suggestions. Also, where is the voltage regulator?

I don't know much about electrical systems, so I can't be of too much help, but I recently had the same problem on my '76 FJ 40. I replaced both the alternator and the voltage regulator and it still wouldn't put out anything. Took it to a mechanic who found that there was a break in the exciter wire. I'm not sure what color that one is. The regulator is that 2 X 2 inch black box on the firewall. Mine has 5 wires coming out of it. There's another regulator I think for earlier models. Go to Yankeetoys.com and you'll find a wiring diagram for a '78.

I talked to the mechanic that worked on my electrical problem, and he printed me off a diagram for an '82 FJ from ALLDATA. I wish I could scan it, but I'm at work. Anyway, on the diagram the regulator has 5 wires coming out of it. One goes from B on the regulator to B on the alternator and is labeled on the diagram as WL. I don't know what the L stands for. Maybe light blue. The second wire goes from N on the regulator to N on the alternator and is also labeled WL on the diagram. The third wire goes from E on the regulator to E on the alternator and is labeled WB (white & black). The fourth one goes from F on the regulator to F on the alternator and is labeled WG (white & green). Finally there's a black and yellow wire that goes from the regulator to a 15 amp fuse on the fuse block, which in turn is wired into the ignition. I believe this is the exciter wire, and is the wire I had trouble with. A guy that rebuilt my carburetor cut that wire when he put in a new solenoid. :mad: Hope this helps. If you email me in the next 2 hrs. I can fax the diagram to you.

O-fishul Toyota color codes

B=Black
Br=Brown
G=Green
Gr=Grey
L=Light Blue
O=Orange
R=Red
W=White
Lg=Light Green
Y=Yellow

John Sherwood