1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bad alternator

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by cavsfj40, Nov 25, 2003.

1. cavsfj40

cavsfj40

My alternator went bad the other day and i replaced it with one i was gived. Supposed to be good. Anyway, i had a white plug and this one was green. Not a big deal i figure because the pins on the alt are labeled F, E, and N and the stud is B on both. I cut of the plug and put on spade connectors and hook it all up and ta-da. The stupid alt is putting out zero juice. I am certain i have it hooked up correctly but it gives nothing. Any suggestions. The F and E are hooked up but the N is a dead end and was prior to the fix. I have it hooked up exactly the same way and it looks the same as the other alt except for the plug color. Any suggestions. Also, where is the voltage regulator?

2. paulj

paulj

I don't know much about electrical systems, so I can't be of too much help, but I recently had the same problem on my '76 FJ 40. I replaced both the alternator and the voltage regulator and it still wouldn't put out anything. Took it to a mechanic who found that there was a break in the exciter wire. I'm not sure what color that one is. The regulator is that 2 X 2 inch black box on the firewall. Mine has 5 wires coming out of it. There's another regulator I think for earlier models. Go to Yankeetoys.com and you'll find a wiring diagram for a '78.

3. paulj

paulj

I talked to the mechanic that worked on my electrical problem, and he printed me off a diagram for an '82 FJ from ALLDATA. I wish I could scan it, but I'm at work. Anyway, on the diagram the regulator has 5 wires coming out of it. One goes from B on the regulator to B on the alternator and is labeled on the diagram as WL. I don't know what the L stands for. Maybe light blue. The second wire goes from N on the regulator to N on the alternator and is also labeled WL on the diagram. The third wire goes from E on the regulator to E on the alternator and is labeled WB (white & black). The fourth one goes from F on the regulator to F on the alternator and is labeled WG (white & green). Finally there's a black and yellow wire that goes from the regulator to a 15 amp fuse on the fuse block, which in turn is wired into the ignition. I believe this is the exciter wire, and is the wire I had trouble with. A guy that rebuilt my carburetor cut that wire when he put in a new solenoid. :mad: Hope this helps. If you email me in the next 2 hrs. I can fax the diagram to you.

4. sherwood

sherwood

O-fishul Toyota color codes

B=Black
    Br=Brown
    G=Green
    Gr=Grey
    L=Light Blue
    O=Orange
    R=Red
    W=White
    Lg=Light Green