Bad alternator voltage regulator? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I noticed driving this am that my voltage is all over the place while running. Down to 12 up to high 15. I have a brand new OEM alternator (engine is 2f) with brand new regulator. This alternator literally is only been in for a few weeks. Any advice/help would be appreciated. :beer::cheers:

Check your V and amps with a multimeter with all lights on and AC on .. then you can figure if where a faulty batt, V reg or alt.

...could be your gauge if you're still running the stock voltmeter. a while back my gauge started doing weird things, (showing readings much like you describe.) i hooked up a voltmeter to the battery like Tapage suggested, (and to the back of the alternator too,) and found that everything was fine. i have yet to fix my erratic voltmeter gauge but at least i know that my charging system is ok.

I would assume gauge but I have a secondary gauge on my radar detector( I know...I dont need a radar detector on a 60) I ordered a new alt for a spare. I have a 55 alt with the VR on top. I can just replace the VR with a screwdrive right? Looking at the FSM it seems pretty simple. Hopefully that fixes it.

Where did you get the alt? I would run it by a auto parts store and have them test it. I used an O'Riely lifetime waranty alt on my 60 and I have had a lifetime of replacing it. I am very fast now. The first one I installed was bad like yours. I had them test the next one before I left the store and it was bad, as was the other one they had in stock. They had to order a fouth one in that finally worked. They usually only last a year but it was only $55 and each unit is free. Since I installed a second alt and battery on my truck I have not had this problem but the point to this ramble is that there is a good chance the alt you got is bad and I would check it out at the store you got it.

It is a reman toyota alt- In researching the VR tend to go out on them quite frequently. I am picking up a multimeter at lunch and will double check my diagnosis.

I would assume gauge but I have a secondary gauge on my radar detector(

keep in mind where you rad detector take the readings .. are not the same reading in the BAT or Alt that you get inside the cabin, throught lot's of cables, plugs and bad grounds ..

turned out to be VR- replaced and it sits rock solid at 13.7-14
thanks for the help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom