Backup Lights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like 'em..... :D

Wayne S :cheers:

Yes, I think I will add some at the time when I modify my courtesy lights for my running boards. But I will use blue light. Looks much cooler in the night.

Mike

I had a hard time seeing through the tinted rear window when I first bought my FJ80. I found some 50 Watt halogen back up bulbs that replaced to stock ones. I bought them from www.performanceproducts.com but I can't find them on their web site now. They are in their cataloge for $19.95 a pair so I know they stiil have them. I installed mine in '94 and haven't had a problem yet. I have had people complain when I backed into parking places though. I'm sure they aren't quite as bright as the link you posted, but they are hassle free.

Greg

Forgot to mention,

The ref # is 1598

They also have 50 Watt stop/turn signals (ref # 1599) for $19.95

Performance products phone # is 1-800-553-2840

I want me some f*%k u tailgaters....errrr backup lights on my roof rack.

-Matt

How much are the hitch mounted lights in the link?

DougM

[quote author=80and100cruisers link=board=2;threadid=10027;start=msg89327#msg89327 date=1073964876]
I want me some f*%k u tailgaters....errrr backup lights on my roof rack.
[/quote]

Carefull 80&100. I flicked mine one time only to quickly see the bubble go red right behind me :whoops:. Luckily I didn't get a ticket, but I would not advise it based on what he told me. He asked me how I'd feel if the person behind me drove off the road and hit a tree. (personally, if it was him I would have been ok with it at that point, but he had a valid point).

I see your point, I just get pissed when I am tailgated in my neighborhood for going too slow...and we have some dumb ass kids who always seem to play chicken... Tailgate me for going 55 in the fast lane, but not 15 in a neighborhood.

-Matt

Matt,

My twin 55w beams on the roof work great for the odd tailgater. The only time it didn't work was one smartass who put his visor down. I actually thought this was rather funny and he backed off soon after so I shut down the light show. So, the BEST location for this purpose would be these hitch mounted lights as they would be tough to block and still be able to see down the road. Of course, I'm not recommending you do anything like this as it's patently illegal.

DougM

flick on your rear fog - they'll think you've hit the brakes and back off :D. I also have 'strobing' rear brake lights on my motorcycle - a slight drag on the rear brakes causes tailgaters to hit the brakes

Cheers, Hugh

Hugh,

How is the strobing effect created? I've wanted for years to find a way to make mine strobe when ABS engages as a warning.

DougM

Doug:

They are an add-on LED unit (with some type of strobing modulator). The original brake light is still used/on and these units attach within the lens cover. The wiring is spliced into the brake wiring.

I believe the unit I have are called 'Hyper Lites' (see http://www.sampson-sporttouring.com/hyper-lite.html for an illustration) and they are quite small - 2 'banks' of 6 or 8 LEDs. The ABS idea is a good one - as long as power is sent to some line that you can slice into, you could make them work.

Cheers, Hugh

Doug -

My neighbor and I use this module on the overhead LED 3rd brake light...

http://www.ledss.com/balertinfo.htm

It can be adjusted for speed and duration of blinks. Pretty simple, and effective - about $50.00.

Cheers, R -

That's a great idea. What did they refer to on this site when they said "like the newest cars"? Are there cars out with flashing 3rd lights now?

Never heard of a stock flashing brake light on a car, but have heard of LED brake lights that increase in brightness as you brake harder.

-Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom