Back up light turns on all lights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NWxDrew

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello! I found my back up lights and all other marker lights operating at the same time this morning. When I turn my lights on at the steering column the reverse lights are on. When I put the transmission in reverse all the lights come on! It has been raining a ton here in the PNW, so I’m guessing it has something to do with that.

Has anyone had anything similar happen to them?

We have some dry weather headed our way next week, so I’ll be able tear into the car then.

As I have mentioned in a few threads, wonky lighting behavior (lights going on when they shouldn’t) is caused by a bad grounding junction. All the lights’ ground wires terminate at a junction (ground bus) behind the instrument panel. Its a dinky insufficient thing that can get smoked due to excessive current, creating resistance in the wire’s spade connectors. Once there’s resistance on the way to ground, the electricity takes the path of least resistance - which frequently is through other accessories- in a path that wasn’t intended.
It’s called a floating ground.

Excellent information! Thank you very much. I will start looking for threads for a ground bus replacement or upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom