Builds Back in a 60 series - 1HZ Swap (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I tried mocking up the intercooler, but it's really thick and takes up a ton of room. Might have to go with something less tall and not so thick. Might also look into an aftermarket condenser without the crossover pipe in the middle.

There is also a guy making metal grills that aren't as thick as the stock one. Might have to try one out, but I really like the stock look.

View attachment 1780909 View attachment 1780910
Same location and direction I went with my intercooler.

that's why I end with a top mounted IC .. front grill limitation it's real ..

It's doable though. Low profile parallel flow condenser and some hacking away at the grill will probably work. Mike @The Phoenician has a smaller IC that might work.

I also started on the Autometer diesel tach install. This one has a sensor that straps to the alternator. Seems to work well. Just need to calibrate it.

I will install it in the same spot as the stock gasser tach.

20180903_205239.jpg
20180903_205243.jpg

I pulled out my little Miller plasma cutter and cut out some holes where the intercooler piping will go. For some reason I had a hard time keeping the plasma lit. Might be the long ass air hose.

20180903_215157.jpg

I pulled out my little Miller plasma cutter and cut out some holes where the intercooler piping will go. For some reason I had a hard time keeping the plasma lit. Might be the long ass air hose.

View attachment 1781579

Did you sand the paint off before you started cutting? Poor conductivity will do it.

I did that in the area where I started the cut, but you are probably right.

@orion has good info for using an aftermarket condenser and hose fittings: V8 (SBC) to V8 (Gen III Vortec) swap in my FJ60...

The top fitting is an o-ring fitting, but Toyota specific. Smaller than a standard #6 fitting. I'm using part of a Toyota hose for this (from the old OEM condenser) - I cut the rubber portion, and it will be crimped onto one side of my high pressure service port (you can see it laying *mocked up* in the box of fittings, in the picture above).

The lower fitting on the firewall is a standard #10 o-ring.

So, other than a 6" long piece of Toyota line coming off that top fitting...I'm just making standard lines to connect it all.

The compressor fitting are adapted to #10 and #8...and the new condenser has a #8 inlet (top) and a #6 outlet (bottom),

The basic layout is: (four A/C lines are needed)

1) #10 off the firewall, with a low pressure service port in the middle of it, going to the #10 fitting on the compressor.

2) Toyota fitting on the firewall to the high pressure service port...then #6 line out the other side of the service port, headed to a #6 fitting where it attaches to the drier.

3) #6 from the drier to the lower fitting on the condenser (also a #6)

4) #8 from the top of the condenser to the outlet of the compressor (which is a #8)

So by going all aftermarket, it's very straightforward and the lines and fittings are almost 100% standard.

Hope that makes sense typed out - I'll be sure to add pics once the lines are made/crimped.

Working on mocking things up this week, and will hopefully have the lines crimped soon!

- Brian

It's doable though. Low profile parallel flow condenser and some hacking away at the grill will probably work. Mike @The Phoenician has a smaller IC that might work.

I got to hack mine and still tight with fan and oil cooler ..

20170303151233-fd343670-me.jpg

Well, my FJ62 fan shroud was delivered yesterday and I don't think it is going to work. A couple of people that have done the 1HZ swap into a 60/62 just flip it upside down. Anyway, I modeled up a fan shroud and will just make it with some plain carbon steel sheet metal.

I also ordered a new 16x24 parallel flow condenser and hose kit. Should be in this week.

Last edited:
Well, my FJ62 fan shroud was delivered yesterday and I don't think it is going to work. A couple of people that have done the 1HZ swap into a 60/62 just flip it upside down. Anyway, I modeled up a fan shroud and will just make it with some plain carbon steel sheet metal.

I also ordered a new 16x24 parallel flow condenser and hose kit. Should be in this week.

We also flipped our fan shroud 180 and fit perfect. Strange you're is not lining up.

Interested to see how/what set up you end up going with the intercooler as I need to get one on my HZJ62, but really don't want to go with a top mount and a hood scoop.

Great work! Following along.

Yeah, like the fan is way low and shifted to the passenger side.

20180905_121747.jpg
20180905_121731.jpg

Yeah, but aren't you always complaining about engine temps? :)

Last edited:
Yeah, but aren't you always complaining about engine temps? :)
I'm always complaining. "A bitching Marine is a Happy Marine :p". I just think I can always get something to be better.

I think you need a custom grill, David.

actually I did try a front mounted intercooler no grill, and then other " grill " options, but didn't keep the spirit in there .. so I went top mounted .

Finished the shroud. I would have filled the radiator with coolant, but the lower hose is too short.

20180909_155538.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom