B for 3B Diesel swap in BJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys - I'm fairly new here...the short of it is I recently bought a 1979 BJ40 (4 speed) that needs a new diesel engine due to rod knock on the original B. I read somewhere in these forums that mid-80's Toyota Coaster Bus had the 3B engine in them. I found one in Queensland Australia at a wrecking yard... $3300 running. They are saying that is is a "Good used late 3B (square tappet cover) engine". Does anyone know if this will bolt into my H42 transmission?
Cheers,

It should, the bellhousing bolt pattern for the B engines are all the same (a 15B will bolt to a 3B bellhousing). That Coaster should still be the 6 bolt flywheel, so you should be able to use the flywheel from your B. The 3B should be as close to a direct drop in as you're going to get.

It should, the bellhousing bolt pattern for the B engines are all the same (a 15B will bolt to a 3B bellhousing). That Coaster should still be the 6 bolt flywheel, so you should be able to use the flywheel from your B. The 3B should be as close to a direct drop in as you're going to get.
Thanks... I found a 3B at CruiserParts in NH... got the AC and power steering kit aa well. Should have it in 3-4 weeks... if they can dig it out of the snow drifts ;)

Hey guys - I'm fairly new here...the short of it is I recently bought a 1979 BJ40 (4 speed) that needs a new diesel engine due to rod knock on the original B. I read somewhere in these forums that mid-80's Toyota Coaster Bus had the 3B engine in them. I found one in Queensland Australia at a wrecking yard... $3300 running. They are saying that is is a "Good used late 3B (square tappet cover) engine". Does anyone know if this will bolt into my H42 transmission?
Cheers,
Hi I am doing the same Got a 3B out of Canada and it bolts on the 4 speed tranny no problem but I'm having trouble with the starter fitting/working have you had this experience as well?

Hi I am doing the same Got a 3B out of Canada and it bolts on the 4 speed tranny no problem but I'm having trouble with the starter fitting/working have you had this experience as well?
My project got slow played and then I finally made some progress.... I ordered a new starter supposedly for the 3B and it showed up and it still doesn't fit and cruiserparts is not sure what to do anyone out there have any ideas?

Since you are using the original bellhousing why aren't you using the original B starter? What was the 3B starter from, because there are different bellhousings depending on whether it's a 40 series a 70 series or a coaster/dyna.

For example a 40 series is a a cast iron bellhousing and a 70 series is an aluminum bellhousing and the starters aren't interchangeable.

My project got slow played and then I finally made some progress.... I ordered a new starter supposedly for the 3B and it showed up and it still doesn't fit and cruiserparts is not sure what to do anyone out there have any ideas?
Hi just finished going through this exact thing Give me a call 310 488 8842 Brent

Hi just finished going through this exact thing Give me a call 310 488 8842 Brent
Will do... it just hit me that they sent me an aluminum bellhousing with the 3B.... I know it came out of a '85 or 86 Canadian BJ... Probably 70 series based on wormfood's comment. The old cast iron bell housing from the B does not fit the 3B block and of course the starters are not interchangeable either. It's been a head scratcher for sure...

Well I have to make a bit of a mea culpa here; I know the 2B onwards all share the same pattern, I'd never heard that the B was different; I thought they were the same through the whole series.

Just for posterity/the next guy with the same problem, can you post a picture of what doesn't match up on the B bellhousing to the 3B block?

Cheers,

On the topic of your B, what are you doing with the B Series parts?

On the topic of your B, what are you doing with the B Series parts?
Hey there... The B engine is currently occupying floor space in my garage. It's got serious rod knock so not sure it's good for anything.

Hey there... The B engine is currently occupying floor space in my garage. It's got serious rod knock so not sure it's good for anything.
I assume you stripped things like water pump, timing chain cover, and so forth? Was it the 24v B?

I assume you stripped things like water pump, timing chain cover, and so forth? Was it the 24v B?
Yes it's the 24 volt 1979 B ... everything's there sans the motor mounts, starter, exhaust manifold, and hoses. I'm still unsure at this point which bell housing to use on my 3B. My wife wants me to get it out of her workout room 🤣
20210622_134618.jpg
20210622_134625.jpg
20210622_134611.jpg
20210622_134644.jpg

I actually need some stuff off of it... I'll message you.

Well I have to make a bit of a mea culpa here; I know the 2B onwards all share the same pattern, I'd never heard that the B was different; I thought they were the same through the whole series.

Just for posterity/the next guy with the same problem, can you post a picture of what doesn't match up on the B bellhousing to the 3B block?
@wormfood I apologize for just getting back to this post. I have not made any progress on getting the 3B into my bj40. It turns out when trying to put the B series flywheel onto the 3B the bolts are different diameter and thread pitch and it is impossible to bolt up. Hence the only thing I can do is put the 3B flywheel on as well as the 3B bell housing and 3B starter. This is a major pain because the 3B bell housing does not have a support bolt for the crossmember. The support is built into the transmission so now I'm having to move the crossmember back and find a custom-made support for the transmission. In addition I'm going to have to cut out the top of the hump and enlarge it for the shifter mechanism.
I also talked to a mechanic today and he told me that I will have to pull off the water pump off the 3B and put the old B water pump on as well as the fan and clutch since the diameters are different and won't fit in the B series radiator shroud. Ugh... I think I bit off more than I can chew at the moment.
I did talk to Craig at cruiser parts the other day and he told me that he can sell me a 5-speed tranny with new transfer case but I will need to move the crossmember and have new drive shafts made. I'm wondering if this B to 3B conversion was worth it... Where did I go wrong?

20210803_154923.jpg

20210803_154911.jpg

20210803_154900.jpg

Seems like the main issue is the B bellhousing not matching up with the 3B block and everything snowballed from there. Are the 3B flywheel bolts smaller? Is the flywheel bolt pattern a much different size? It seems like you could get the B flywheel redrilled to fit the 3B, which still leaves the bellhousing as the main problem. I should point out that the aluminum bellhousing may clock the transmission a few degrees relative to the engine as well. I'm really sorry, I thought the B mounting pattern was the same as the 2B - 15B, and you'd be able to use your stock bellhousing.

@Beachmobile is it OK if I give you a call later this afternoon? I apologize for just now getting around to this. I'm finally getting "serious" about getting this motor in.
Ben

An issue I ran into when using the 70 series bell housing was getting the starter to fit. I ended up going with a 60 series starter which sticks up which then interfered with the steering box. I had to go to a 60 series steering box. I shifted my motor forward 3 inches because I used the 70 series top plate and wanted the shifter in the original position. Hopefully this isn't an issue for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom