B for 3B Diesel swap in BJ40 (2 Viewers)

Hey guys - I'm fairly new here...the short of it is I recently bought a 1979 BJ40 (4 speed) that needs a new diesel engine due to rod knock on the original B. I read somewhere in these forums that mid-80's Toyota Coaster Bus had the 3B engine in them. I found one in Queensland Australia at a wrecking yard... $3300 running. They are saying that is is a "Good used late 3B (square tappet cover) engine". Does anyone know if this will bolt into my H42 transmission?
Cheers,

It should, the bellhousing bolt pattern for the B engines are all the same (a 15B will bolt to a 3B bellhousing). That Coaster should still be the 6 bolt flywheel, so you should be able to use the flywheel from your B. The 3B should be as close to a direct drop in as you're going to get.

It should, the bellhousing bolt pattern for the B engines are all the same (a 15B will bolt to a 3B bellhousing). That Coaster should still be the 6 bolt flywheel, so you should be able to use the flywheel from your B. The 3B should be as close to a direct drop in as you're going to get.
Thanks... I found a 3B at CruiserParts in NH... got the AC and power steering kit aa well. Should have it in 3-4 weeks... if they can dig it out of the snow drifts ;)

Hey guys - I'm fairly new here...the short of it is I recently bought a 1979 BJ40 (4 speed) that needs a new diesel engine due to rod knock on the original B. I read somewhere in these forums that mid-80's Toyota Coaster Bus had the 3B engine in them. I found one in Queensland Australia at a wrecking yard... $3300 running. They are saying that is is a "Good used late 3B (square tappet cover) engine". Does anyone know if this will bolt into my H42 transmission?
Cheers,
Hi I am doing the same Got a 3B out of Canada and it bolts on the 4 speed tranny no problem but I'm having trouble with the starter fitting/working have you had this experience as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom