Axle rebuild for my HJ47 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gwagg

SILVER Star
Threads
Grabbed the picture from another thread but I need to buy similar items. Matt and I got the HJ running, and I am motivated to get it road worthy, titled and on the road. I have a long list of things I need/want to do, but the first thing is to fix leaks. I also have new rear springs that I am going to install in the back to reduce a lean it has developed.

I am looking for ideas on rebuilding the rear axle; currently, it is leaking at the hubs. It is a 1981 full floater axle. I will be keeping the actual axle stock. I am buying some items not because they are needed, but to renew and have the old ones for trail parts. Please review my list below and let me know what else I need to purchase.

To install the E-locker in the front will require disassembly. The hubs were recently rebuilt before importing. I am thinking of installing new Chromoly axles while I have them out.

Rear Axle
Need to buy for the rear axle

Already Bought for the Rear Axle
  • New rear wheel studs
  • New rear hub cone washers
  • Marlin Crawler Full Face Differential Armor
  • Harrop E-Locker

Front axle

Need to buy for Front Axle
  • Chromoly Birfield Axles

Already Bought for Front Axle
  • Harrop Elocker
  • WBK2 Front Axle / Steering / Brakes: WBK2 - Wheel Bearing Kit

Supplies need to buy
  • __ Qts of __ x __ Gear Oil
  • Three cans of brake cleaner
  • One container of wheel bearing grease
  • One container of synthetic grease

Supplies Already Bought

• Aluminum Pans
  • Nitrile Gloves
  • Shop Rags
  • Throw away bucket
Anyone interested in a tech session on the rear axles sometime during the last week of the year?

ItJyRPc_QS6K3CZ8Mo-WjHeq0SWJtTIhv8ZTAvoBcw50LgNYoNbjxBPpwJCfuMcq2qSEHCjUADw85PeBwsUoGGO2YN_JYrjjBHCSARVdm0aJ81f2u0b9IQpWPmOzA840pPiG-QVaYcbuHRwjgtjHKckOBzHT8fgt5CLHCJcb49Kvci_Bd491vroNH6jgDYsBEl8Kdb88_ZEKIO4c0uClEK-9SsStL4111i_9MWEwWPJUdlptJta98HpRMvUxL-Q5KlStP9Hzk9tHXY0Z6n1edhSCeR1-d2FBzGMZZBDqSf5Rd_xaR75ucAFu0pbELPX3ck0W6Yi0dp3yPGm9SGpmIvWKXKuVJUOwSI3u5Ys5EoJ9R-kQZR1niX-t_iZUbRjYCVcqZZtPM5G6Z2JrTq0XkG-NoLYgAnmwPVI7nsgDX7ADFlQP7_0x6z6fQs5xXhXC9Z1yStZLu_YqQSNVBl2M9rF8G3O83p6MD30ripoYf0DOpcr_tPAHWF1jip-Ptb3MzSv5lACsySlZDUTMCW9aAXerN4TtIBGXEI2mrIQY9hm0ma_yLDLSN0MTDEKa8e24Jm489WKRkqDNgW8YXtcBAR5qdB8oMBeV3vT33XYJZpgfEHVC3zf_vIyrtqqTh9VSEQrOF9THg6cgzwJueWrNwjjUtFD4C3Dsl8i0yNKYV3bZ6DmKYV8Y0LsWw1xW1JATQ2hctwMqocBtzp5tfHE=w1432-h730-no

WrILRK6yFuAQpXsMJYgX6lbyZt5JEZG9aoqFZ99rJQHSfPjox3ImCJn444x54q3RnRC53kZAj_qZKR4wYgzQgTeiy_YOVTS6o3lpwIEdJBGpNCu9pDKQNdCGg6adG3AQTdvy-klUAwX-klDOti6QEDzsVNvh84QS2-EqZfuOIBi3rsxYmIJ4VVEyEKu2rs09YqkFtKqv7bxSfOiwoOCQ5Y7WgIMRGnUIkWvkLjySpfJM_ia6AfS7QJU6vFA7c0nrn8-vKHxUlXZ3UBmFfWnu5RWPOI1H33guzLTDdUoq11ZkFFLqJTsJxYvDiBR3m51_dMZ54Ezy4oXIEx4f9nzWkaEAs-aCJL26Y02I5etjSEUJrrzhgdTOJEVZ1VkHPX7axuJDNsQSCAxEbQSc8ArF2bP_9qhKKwKaDXbDz4-kwt6rsMYUQyo9XHbol1H8iA2a6-6p7HXKWnqLDnrxthfIKQISimGAKhS-RHhdmYHulVK7qV9CPmGQNfIX3zj6MYcnVM-ALDJ135Iw77ZO-MN6vIyNICb698c7lo5498TKJ9Ah2xAdZGBts6fh00sVk8xTZkh_BSTFLw0aSCC0TTEyli8WFxYlec0tsa97L-pMUOaOY8aVRJaDr04UKzvF7pdGRf6GHyu9IqE8KCyZz3R8YDgP5w=w1342-h737-no

Last edited:
Rear Axle
Need to buy for the rear axle

Couple issues here Gregg. Your axle doesn't use C-clips, and those seals are for a front axle. The Marlin rear axle kit is for a semi-float application and completely different for a full-float. You need to order a rear axle rebuild kit for a full float axle. The axle seal, hub gasket, wheel bearings (which are the only parts you replace) will be the same on 40/60/80 for a full float rear. (They are also the same wheel bearings in the front as the full-float rear, you only need one inner and outer wheel bearing to have as spares).

Another issue I see is that it looks like that Marlin diff armor is for a mini-truck axle which has a small housing, I don't think it will fit the face of the bigger Cruiser axle housing. I'd just return it if it doesn't fit, I don't think they're really needed for most rigs.

Supplies need to buy
  • __ Qts of __ x __ Gear Oil
  • Three cans of brake cleaner
  • One container of wheel bearing grease
  • One container of synthetic grease

I'd get three gallons of gear and a Harbor Freight $7 hand pump. That's enough to do both diffs and the transmission and transfer case. The hand pump makes filling the diffs a breeze and you don't waste fluid pouring it on the ground. With those dumb squirt containers.

You want a molybdenum grease for the front birfields.
The rear axle shafts don't see any grease, just the bearings inside the wheel hub. I often just use Moly for everything for consistency but a synthetic wheel bearing grease will work fine too for the front and rear wheel bearings.
We shouldn't have too much cleaning to do since the front knuckles where done recently, I'd just get a plastic tote and some diesel fuel for parts cleaning. Lots of shop towels too.

There's a few others that have asked about doing a tech session John @Das Shtig has a front differential to replace in his LX470 :eek: , and Simon (who's was at Turkey Trot in his Grey FJ62, don't think he's on Mud yet? ) has a few odds and ends to do.

There's a few others that have asked about doing a tech session John @Das Shtig has a front differential to replace in his LX470 :eek: , and Simon (who's was at Turkey Trot in his Grey FJ62, don't think he's on Mud yet? ) has a few odds and ends to do.
LX470 with a bad diff? Somewhere I missed hearing about that. I thought I knew of almost every broken 100 in Central Florida. :)

Yup I blew it, literally. Shoulda taken care of that pesky leak... oh well. New front diff arrives tomorrow!

In case you missed it, I also have a rear diff up for grabs… And am in need of a tailgate upper. Both lx470

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom