axels from 85 pick up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
found a set of axels off a 85 toyota pickup. would I be able to use those on my 77 fj40. if so i'm going to get them cut and turned. they have 4'11 's .any other info would be great.

Use the disk brakes off of them on your front 77 axle

The front axle's spring pads are spaced too far apart and the rear axle is centered. You planning on changing tcases as well???

Are you after extra width or are you chaning to a centered reat driveshaft? I would keep the 40 axles and use the birfs and hubs and such on your axles. There is a recipe somewhere here I think if you do a search to make a centered rear using the cruisers diff and the mini's tubes. If you want wider axles why not some out of a FJ60?

Width of a mini is the same as a 40..

Mace said:
Width of a mini is the same as a 40..

AHhhhhhhhhhhhh, I learned something today :D I thought they were a bit wider, but that make sense when thinking about it.

In that case, I would DEFINETLY stick with the 40 axles....

Mini birfs are stronger but the inner axles from the mini ARE different from the '40 series Cruiser. Check out "Tech Trivia" for the inner axle length differences.

Long side mini = Long side FJ60

Short side mini= dam short and only mini stuff. Shorter than a 40 or a 60

Mini birfs are stronger but not that much stronger than the 77 unit.

Mace said:

" Width of a mini is the same as a 40.."

Jason...

Please help me with all of this...

Mace said:

I think thats why I had in my head they were slightly wider then the 40 axle, the long side being the same as the FJ60s.

85-older minitruck = 55" WTW
FJ40/55 = 55" WTW

86-newer minitruck = 58" WTW
FJ60/62 = 58" WTW

(round numbers, but close enuf)

The mini front diff is further offset to the passenger side, and the spring packs of a FJ40 install will land "on" the front diff, forcing you to outboard the springs, much like a FJ60 front axle install does.

http://www.ih8mud.com/techtrivia.php for some shaft lengths and interchangability info....

My rear axle uses a FJ40 center section grafted to 84ish minitruck outers, and uses 84ish mini shafts...width is the same as the stock FJ40 front.

inner axles are all 30-spline at the side gear, 27-spline at the birf, and the birf is 30-spline at the lockout

The 85 front axle does offer some upgrades to your current 77 tho....bigger/stronger birfs (slightly, but why not...) - large pattern knuckles for strength and more hi-steer options down the road, and aisin lockouts. My 77 front axle runs the same mini-upgrades. (76-78 front FJ40/55 disc axles are morphs with small pattern knuckles and smaller diameter/longer shaft birfields...."most" of the balance is the same....)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom