Awning room as a primary tent? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

reznunt

Massive Metal Shop
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
massivemetalshop.com
I am leaning towards an awning/room (with a large ground tent as a backup) versus a RTT because an awning room:

• Will provide the space I need for four people
  • Is tall enough that I can stand up in it so it can be used during the day as a bug free room
  • Is pretty quick to set up compared to most giant ass ground tents
  • Gives me access to my truck without leaving the tent
  • Will be much cheaper than a RTT... I want a permanently attached awning anyway for normal use

A RTT:

• Is way more expensive ($450 vs. $2000)
  • Would need space for storage in the garage
  • Would be difficult for me to install and remove it for each trip (especially short ones)

Anyone want to share their opinions/experiences of using an awning room as their main shelter for camping? The reviewer in the link below stated it may not hold up to high winds or heavy rain. I don't plan on camping in severe weather since I have two toddlers. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Something like this:

ARB Awning Room with Floor - Nick Carver Photography Blog | Photography Tips, Photography Tutorials, Articles, & VideosNick Carver Photography Blog | Photography Tips, Photography Tutorials, Articles, & Videos

ARB_awning_enclosed_room-02.jpg

ARB_awning_enclosed_room-04.jpg

Last edited:
I can see the advantages you spoke of and an additional advantage is it removes some weight from the top to lower the center of gravity of the vehicle. Plus, I woke up the other morning and found out I am 70 so climbing up into RTT could be an issue.

I can see the advantages you spoke of and an additional advantage is it removes some weight from the top to lower the center of gravity of the vehicle. Plus, I woke up the other morning and found out I am 70 so climbing up into RTT could be an issue.

Good points! I totally neglected the weight advantage. Also, you made me realize that with an awning room I won't have to carry my kids up and down a ladder in the middle of the night so they can use the restroom.

I wouldn't have much confidence in the room in an unexpected storm. I think wind might be an issue. Please note I don't have an awning room but I do know tents.

Awning + room for camping in leu of an RTT = Good as long as you always find relatively smooth, flat & level spot...and have the extra time it takes to set-up/take down. And the cargo space to haul the room...

I thought about this option too.... right after buying a $1500 RTT. :inpain:

I love the RTT but to have a bed, nite table, table and maybe a kitchen with room to stand up would be awesome! I still may do it as I already have the awning (8ft ARB).

How big is the rolled up wall kit?

I thought about this option too.... right after buying a $1500 RTT. :inpain:

I love the RTT but to have a bed, nite table, table and maybe a kitchen with room to stand up would be awesome! I still may do it as I already have the awning (8ft ARB).

How big is the rolled up wall kit?

awningbag.jpg

Awning + room for camping in leu of an RTT = Good as long as you always find relatively smooth, flat & level spot...and have the extra time it takes to set-up/take down. And the cargo space to haul the room...

Ya, the location would need to be choice... but that would be the case as well with a regular ground tent. The set up time doesn't seem too long at all. It looks comparable to a large, standard ground tent. The carry bag for the room is small as seen in the previous pic. About the size of a large backpack.

I wouldn't have much confidence in the room in an unexpected storm. I think wind might be an issue. Please note I don't have an awning room but I do know tents.

Wind and heavy rain are my biggest concerns. I think this is going to be my setup for the next few years... awning room as a tent, with a standard 4-person ground tent as a backup for bad weather. At any sign of weather coming in, I'll set up the ground tent and put away the awning room.

The biggest drawback I see (the same with an rtt) is you can`t leave the camp site without packing up. I would go stand alone tent due to the greater flexibility.

I have a 2.5m ARB awning room and tent. I have slept in it for about 20 nights over the last year. In mild weather it is a perfect shelter for 2 people plus 2 large cots. We place a folding camp table as a "nightstand" at the end of the tent. For 4 people, cots would not be possible. It is certainly a fair weather tent. It withstood lots of wind (45+mph) in Baja this winter, but I would not expect that to last under those conditions for several days on end. It is not horribly waterproof by design, but for light rain it is fine. Monsoon-like downpours… not its forte`. For 2 of us, I have been exceptionally happy with the tent. Since I already had the awning, the price point was excellent. However, like the RTT it is best if you are moving or stationary. It does not serve well as a base camp, as you will need to move it daily.

For your situation, I would look at an awning (like ARB, CVT, Tepui, etc), and big tent like an REI kingdom with a vestibule cooking/gear area.

Aw man that's NOTHIN!

Provided one could get it wrapped back up that small with reasonable ease. Still even at double the size I could still get it on the crowded roof rack, on top of the solar panel though.

Just noticed that pic looks like the 6 ft awning not the 8 ft. So my roll would be a big larger. Still good though.

Our rig uses a drawer/camper conversion for sleeping in the truck. I adapted a DAC Tailgate Tent for a better fit. This makes for a quick camp, while also serving as a room divider/skeeter discourager when we deploy our awning.

rearcornerdone5.jpg

Our awning is a quick-up design familiar to all, but in size 8x10. They made these for the sometimes restrictive space allotted for tailgating outside the game here in the Midwest. Works great for this purpose. We used the screen and blank walls from standard 10x10 awnings, allowing enough extra to lap over the truck and tie down. We also have a window wall made to fit the 8x10 in the end opposite the truck for when we need a good view. Here's the fit together in camp without the awning walls except one for a windbreak off of Lake Superior for a quick camp.

PointAbbayeCamp-1.jpg

This one is a bit more cozy and permanent for a 3-day camp after it turned colder.

EchoCampRear-4.jpg

The trailer carries most of the gear, including the awning and restroom/shower pop-up. We unhooked and closed up the front of the awning for daily drives, folding the DAC Tailgate Tent and the tailgate, of course.

With a couple of sets of weights for the awning uprights, the awning did just fine in the autumn winds off of Superior, including 2 days at High Rock Bay at the end of the Keewenaw. I'm sure really high winds would be a problem, but served us well.

Last edited:
Greentruck, nice photos and nice set-up.

Reznunt, very good idea, thanks for posting this information. I expect the short 1500 model would be the only one that would fit the FJ-40. Need to measure and also need to build/find a roof rack. Have the TIG machine and aluminum...time to get busy I guess.

The biggest drawback I see (the same with an rtt) is you can`t leave the camp site without packing up. I would go stand alone tent due to the greater flexibility.

I don't see that as much of an issue for me since I probably wouldn't leave a standalone tent behind either unless it was an emergency. Since I'm going to try both the awning room as well as a large stand alone tent backup, I guess I'll have the option when the times come to set up camp.

Last edited:
Aw man that's NOTHIN!

Provided one could get it wrapped back up that small with reasonable ease. Still even at double the size I could still get it on the crowded roof rack, on top of the solar panel though.

Just noticed that pic looks like the 6 ft awning not the 8 ft. So my roll would be a big larger. Still good though.

Got any pics of your 8-ft awning installed? I was considering it but not sure how it looks installed being so long. Still deciding between the 6-ft and 8-ft and I'll be leaving it on the truck year around.

I actually have both a RTT (Ezzi-Awn) and 3x3m Awning with a Oz-Trail 3x3m gazebo room. Honestly they both serve two different purposes. The RTT is where I sleep with my bedding and undies hidden up there. The 3x3m is kinda the hangout with the people all hanging out there for eating with the table and chairs. If I ever had friends to ride along and camp I'd more likely throw a few sleeping bags down there for them. But here in the middle east with all the creppy stuff in the desert at night and the hard uneven ground in the mountains I prefer my RTT.

I don't see that as much of an issue for me since I probably wouldn't leave a standalone tent behind either unless it was an emergency. Since I'm going to try both the awning room as well as a large stand alone tent backup, I guess I'll have the option when the times come to set up camp.
1 - The advantage is if you find a nice area and want to spend a few days exploring you can pick a primo camp site and do day trips without packing the whole shebang up every time. RTT's are relatively easy to set up and take down, the awning rooms look like they take about as much time to set up as a traditional tent. Something like a Springbar/Kodiak might even be faster to set up.
2 - If you plan to pack a ground tent anyway why waste the cargo space on an awning room? It seems like a larger ground tent would still pack smaller than the combination of awning room and ground tent and provide more comfort. Decades ago, when we had a toddler, we used a cabin tent with a screen porch. IMHO for a family this is a great option.

1 - The advantage is if you find a nice area and want to spend a few days exploring you can pick a primo camp site and do day trips without packing the whole shebang up every time. RTT's are relatively easy to set up and take down, the awning rooms look like they take about as much time to set up as a traditional tent. Something like a Springbar/Kodiak might even be faster to set up.
2 - If you plan to pack a ground tent anyway why waste the cargo space on an awning room? It seems like a larger ground tent would still pack smaller than the combination of awning room and ground tent and provide more comfort. Decades ago, when we had a toddler, we used a cabin tent with a screen porch. IMHO for a family this is a great option.

1 - Yes, the RTT is easy to set up and take down once it's on the truck. The main issue I'd have is getting it on the truck myself and then taking it off myself for every trip... even overnighters. Setting up and taking down an awning room or roof top tent to break camp and explore would definitely take an extra 10 minutes or so... but it would take me longer to install and remove a RTT.

2 - The awning room is tall enough for me to use during the day as a bug/element free room as I please. If I can find a large enough tent that offers me this, and is cheaper than $175 then I would absolutely forego the awning room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom