auto trans question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.rockcrawler
i've read a lot about switching to an automatic, and i'm going to get a th350. i've read that it's good to get a 2.5" body lift for more clearance. i can't find anyone who sells them. that's my first question.
second is, what's the deal with splines? how many does the trans have to have to match up to the transfer case?
and last, what kind of vehicle should the trans come out of? does it have to be a 4wd trans? i don't know how the transfer case and all that works.

you should get a trans out of a 4wd with the short output shaft (not like 6 inches). if you find a 2wd one, i have a short shaft for 30 dollars.

as for the body lift, buy a boat roller (big round chunk of rubber with hole in the middle) and cut it up so you have the appropriate lift.

-Max

If you get the long shaft you can cut it down to size. Depending on the adapter you use it may require buying the long tail and taking off a few inches. The short tail is too short for some applications.

Doesn't the length of the shaft depend on the adaptor you use ? ( I got the downey adaptor which came with the shaft)

Whats this about the body lift ? Is it really necessary to fit the th350 ? :dunno:

Thanks Jeff

well, whatever, i have the shaft needed for the AA adapter.

as for the lift, just go for it! it is easy when you use a boat roller....

a few new questions:

how many body mounts are there? 4? would i need new longer bolts, what kind to get?

i have an old ramsey pto winch. will this still work with an automatic?

someone has a th400 for sale. what's the difference between the th350 and the th400?

I run a th350 mounted behind a 305 and I have no clearance problems so a body lift may not be necessary depending on how it is installed. Some driveshaft lengthing (front) and shortening (rear) will be needed, and your transfer shifters will not line up in the hump where they used to so plan on fixing up that. On my conversion the entire tail shaft housing is replaced with a new one that mates the auto tranny body to the Toyota transfer case, and it is about 5 inches long. Inside is a new tail shaft that converts the auto tranny output shaft to the correct splines and length of a Toyota shaft. Also, the e-barke and speedo cables will be a long stretch or longer ones can be had. All in all my conversion was a good job, but the resulting increased length of the transmission and transfer case was a draw back. I wonder if it really has to be that long.

Paul_A, where did you get this converter you used? is it advanced adapters or downey? i know they're both around $500. how much do you think you invested in the tranny conversion total?

I wish I could answer you but I did not do it, the PO did. I do know it is not an AA kit, and it was professionally installed at Cruisers Unlimited in Idaho as was all the upgrades (V8, power steering, winch, etc.) I can tell you that the th350 with 4.11 gears is not great on the highway as it turns 3000 rpm's to do 60 (and I fear for my life as the cars and trucks blow past me!). On the positive side, I drive a lot of trucks with manual transmissions and the automatic in a recreational vehicle is a pleasant change. I moderately off road it and am sure there is plenty of power and control, though I am not beating on it by any stretch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom