Auto tranny shifting super late all of a sudden (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, my 1997 90 2-door 2.7 just started auto shifting funny. Fine forever, now in D it stays in first off the line until about 3,000 rpm unless I play with the accelerator, then when coasting under 25 kmph will down shift to first. Shift to 2, and seems like L, will never shift out of first.

I just changed the tranny fluid (after this started) although it wasn't dirty or broken down, the mech put an "additive" and said that it would take time to work out, but it's been 2 weeks and still shifting the same.

Any ideas? Thanks, Art

An update. I was searching around and performed the TPS reset of first completely disconnecting the battery for about 15 minutes, but nothing changed.

Then I did the 1st procedure from this link

1. Put the key in the ignition. 2. Turn the key to the On position, without cranking the engine. 3. Wait a few seconds, then turn it off. 4. Repeat the second step. 5. Crank the engine. 6. Pull the parking brake. Set the gear lever in Drive. 7. Wait 5-10 minutes.

While it doesn't seem to shift like before, it is better, and as well my tachometer, that was stuck around 2,000 rpm and not registering much, is now tracking the rpm well.

We'll see with time

An update. I was searching around and performed the TPS reset of first completely disconnecting the battery for about 15 minutes, but nothing changed.

Then I did the 1st procedure from this link

1. Put the key in the ignition. 2. Turn the key to the On position, without cranking the engine. 3. Wait a few seconds, then turn it off. 4. Repeat the second step. 5. Crank the engine. 6. Pull the parking brake. Set the gear lever in Drive. 7. Wait 5-10 minutes.

While it doesn't seem to shift like before, it is better, and as well my tachometer, that was stuck around 2,000 rpm and not registering much, is now tracking the rpm well.

We'll see with time
Well, it was only temporary. It keeps going back to the shifting problem.

But my mechanic is trying to tell me that my auto transmission is not controlled electrically? It's a 1997 Prado 2-door, 2.7l. Is he right?

Auto trans is controlled by the ECU. The TPS has some involvement in the process but my knowledge is a bit sketchy. It's possible the TPS is out of failing? Any issues like this, I always go over all the wiring and look for broken wires or cracks in the wire shielding which can mess with resistance values being sent to the ECU.

*I just re-read your post. 2.7L is the Petrol motor? My knowledge is based around the 1KZ motor but I'm sure my advice is transferrable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom