Auto shifter lockout (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Today after a FUNTASTIC weekend of helping my parents move with the LC the lockout that prevents you from shifting into gear without your foot on the brake broke.

(NOTE: Ifin this happens to you, don't forget the little plug in front of the shifter pops out and you can stick a pen or screwdriver down there to get it in gear)

So not having easy access to my FSM, but having access to a computer I figured I'd ask the gurus...that's you guys, scary!

And I had just removed the running boards and installed some mud flaps from CDan (thanks Dan!)...do you think that was the problem? Maybe that makes it a Toyota warranty repair of some sort, right? ::)

My will shift without the use of foot brake. I checked the safety switch and it was ok. I don't mind but it could get bumped out of gear. I still have to use the thumb button on shifter. The PO was going to try to fix as I found a new thumb button for shifter in the glovebox.
I have never seen any gloves in any glovebox I ever had looked in :-\
kurt
I guess this didn't help U, but I was meaning to post this usless info ::)

Todd,
Check your brake lights. If one of them is burned out (did you use a trailer for the move?) then the shifter is locked automatically. It's a safety feature.
-B-

-H-
ditto here.
I have one pair of surgical grade latex gloves, and check valve/mask for CPR. :D

-B-
If I understand your post correctly, a burned out taillight, will lock-out the shifter?

Whoa there B, you telling me that a burnt brake light can cause this? C'mon, don't play with a guy like that...

Todd & Eduardo,

I misspoke slightly. The fuse for the brake lights controls the release for the shifter. If that fuse is burned out (maybe from overloading the brake lights?) then you cannot shift out of park without manually releasing. Burned out individual brake light bulbs will not lock the shifter.

-B-

It could also be a bad switch at the brake pedal. Do the brake lights come on when the pedal is depressed?

B gets the cookie on this one :D

It was the fuse, blown as a result of the uhaul I'm sure. A simple fix that I wouldn't have thought of immediately without you folks. Thanks for saving my sanity!

Cookies are nice.

$$$$$ ---------> Beowulf@PayPal.com is better. ;)

Seriously, glad it turned out to be something simple. Check your trailer light harness. You might uncover a problem before you need to tow another trailer at night.

-B-

I had a similar problem, but mine was actually the brake switch wiring (from my rerouting during assembly) that wore through enough so once in awhile when I would push the brake it would short and blow the fuse. Fixed that one while on vacation. -B- Shhhhh :-X I know what you are going to say...
Another thing after adding the ARB bull bar with lights and the Kaymar rear bumper with lights when I hooked up my trailer (more lights) it was blowing fuses (C-Dan you can not read this next paragraph) I increased both my lights and brake fuses by 5 amps, I think they were 10's and now are 15's.
No more problems.

Yomama

Yo,

I love the smell of burning wire insulation in the morning ::)

D-

"Are you gonna surf, or are you gonna fight?"

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=3829;start=0#msg28564 date=1058987909]
Yo,

I love the smell of burning wire insulation in the morning ::)
[/quote]

Hey C-DAN you weren't suppose to read that :-\ Hey at least I have a fuse in there, not like the old days of chewing gum tin foil :eek:

Yomama

Did I say I read something?

I don't recall saying I read something.

My WEB-nose detected an aroma of fried wire insulation, thats all. ::)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom