Builds Aussie 95 HZJ75RP, red rocket build-up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Indestructible 47

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys, i recently brought a 95 HZJ75 as the title suggests:). Now, i brought this after the sad and regretful selling of my 40 series, a HJ47. i brought the 75 because i needed a better dd than a 40. to say that i achieved that, brought the 75 for less than i sold the 40 which is a win. however, with the good comes the bad:
ARB rear airlocker needs a rebuild
needs new wheel bearings all away around
broken axle shaft in the long side
drivers window winder stops engaging to move the window up when it'a about 3/4 of the way up
handbrake does not work
bushes in the shackles totally screwed
new tyres needed
steering rods and damper the complete banana shape
bullbar needs a new coat of paint
shocks gone
brake lights don't work
can't get the glove box open, needs new latch
the aircon belt keeps throwing itself off the pully's
window tint is faded and needs to removed
EGT gauge needs to be made into a pre turbo one (i know picky;))

and more.......:(
but before the good...... comes the story.

so about 4 weeks ago, i saw a guy post this hzj75 for sale. i got to it very quickly thankfully, because it seemed like a good deal. so i called this guy and got chatting to him asking all about the cruiser what was good, what was bad ect. he was a very honest bloke to be fair. said that it had been a excellent rig to him but it needed work and it had slowly gotten away on him. he wasn't using it so decided to regretfully sell it. (upgraded to a duel cab VDJ). so i made him an offer on the phone, what i thought was a good price and (a little to my surprise), he took my offer then and there. so i started to plan a 1600km (1000 miles) trip in a vehicle that i had never even seen. yeah, your thinking, ya mad. well i'll tell ya, i'm not because it's a cruiser:rofl: and they don't die.

so, before i even set off, i had some new shoes put on her. the old ones were USED. i went with the standard 35x12.5r15. then i needed another diff center for the rear because the one with the air locker was making horrible noises. real bad. so after doing all of that before i had even seen the cruiser, i was assured that the cruiser would make the long trek back. however, i was told that it needed new wheel bearings, really soon, especially in the rear. so, come friday morning 3 weeks ago, i set off with my mate for the 6 hour journey to pick up the old girl. just around the corner really.

some of the roads on our way:
IMG_20180209_095402.jpg

IMG_20180209_094936.jpg

so, fast forward to midday, and we arrive at a small country town in NSW. the guy worked for a transport company as such and they were an excellent crew to meet up with. however, been on a short time schedule, i was keen to pick it up and keep moving. so after a nice drink at the servo, we hit the road. the first hour was nice, except for the fact that i couldn't put my window up and at 125kp/h that gets anoying after a while. but i did learn a few things about the truck which i was impressed with. at about 120kp/h it's reving no harder than 2650rpm which is excellent. also, it has plenty of power. (turbo intercooled 1hz). however, i was nervous about those wheel bearings.

at about 4:00pm after about an hour on the road we pulled over to grab some lunch at another small town that we were passing through. i took this as a quick chance to feel the temperatures of the hubs. i started with the front ones..... they were warm but i could hold my hand on them. i called that i thankful pass. on to the rear. burnt my hand instantly on the drivers side. it was HOT. like HOT HOT. i knew at this point that i was doing wheel bearings on the trip. somehow. somewhere. the passenger rear was far too hot as well, but far cooler than the drivers rear.

i should at this point explain, we were heading another 4 hours from where i picked up my cruiser to my mates house for the weekend. so i knew that if i could hold out till i got there, i would be able to fix the wheel bearings there as his home is in a large town. so we pushed on for another hour and a half with the idea of stopping at another reasonable size town to grab a phone charger for my now dead phone. by the hour mark of this small trip, i could hear squeaking from the drivers side wheel bearing, and it was getting worse by the second. however, i pushed on for the next half an hour to make it to town, where i pulled up out the front of an auto parts store. this was 4:50pm on Friday night. i jumped out and shot into the store and brought a phone charger for my phone. phew, can't live without them these days it seems. then, i wandered out of the store and...... found my mate staring at the driver side rear wheel shaking his head. i came over and i saw the entire chassis rail and mud guard covered and dripping in diff oil. alarm bells ringing.

so, back into the auto parts store i went and sounded them out for some cruiser wheel bearings. my cruiser has the rear discs and their system came up with two part numbers, one for disc rear end and the other for drums. sorry, we only keep the drum brake type wheel bearings i was told. i said, well, a toyota is a toyota, a landcruiser is a landcruiser, so i bet they are exactly the same. i brought em:);)

however, it was now 5:00pm on a Friday night in a smallish town. and we were still 1 and a half hours form my mates house. so my mate rang a few mechanics that he found the numbers to and only 1 answered their phone, saying 'sorry we are closed now, however try these other guys, they might still be around'. called em. no answer. damn. so we decided to take the short trip around to their shop and lo and behold, they were still there.:oops: so i went in and asked if i could use the hoist and tools, i had the parts and beer:):) np matey, come in and we'll chuck ya up. killa. and hour later i was rolling out of there with new wheel bearings.:):):)

so that was a get out of jail if there ever was one. thankfully, the rest of the trip was smooth sailing and i got to find out that the new cruiser was indeed a good cruiser as in good at driving:rofl:on the highway. so we made it to my mates and stayed there for the weekend havi'n a killa time. the trip from my mates home was really uneventful, literally sailed right through the 6 hours and got home Sunday night in time for work Monday morning.

sorry about the lack of quality in that little 'story' and i missed heaps and have barley re read it so straight from my head, but i hope you get the jist. i'll get a load of good points (plenty) and what i intend to do with her tomorrow. pics then as well, as they aren't working for me right now. qunna have loads of tech questions but have started with finding a factory service manual. looking forward to the journey but i will need some tips and tricks form ya's along the way. cheers

Last edited:
so did the guy do new tyres and rear diff for you? if so... love Australia for stuff like that.

Good story mate, i get a kick out of repairs on the road. i had a similar one when i first bought my cruiser i only had to go 2 hours home but never made it cos i wimped out at how noisy the rear diff was...

most of those jobs look do-able! except for the AC belt throwing... how is the pulley alignment?

thanks for the comments, and yes it's great how Australians help each other out. he got it done before i got there so it was good to go.

i haven't had time yet to check the pulley's alignment. i will soon though because it's a pain in the rear.

so, on to the good points:

Full denco turbo kit and intercooler, running at 12psi been on there about 150,000km's and the truck has 360,000km's at the moment
boost and egt gauges
strong gearbox, shifts well the h55f
brand new 35's on american racing rims
ARB front and rear lockers
wicked sound system
overhead console with uhf
lightbar on the tray headboard
no rust
it's running a 2 inch body lift with another 2-3 in the springs and tipped off with superior engineering drop shackles
duel battery setup
aftermarket XR8 seats, super comfy
extended diff breathers
and more....

so for some bad pics, sorry but it's all that i had right now. it was dark and the camera doesn't have a good flash
IMG_20180211_175614.jpg
Screenshot_20180306-202534.png

IMG_20180306_203953.jpg

IMG_20180306_203942.jpg

IMG_20180306_203910.jpg

and that brings me to my future plans:
firstly my immediate concerns:

install my FYRLYT NEMESIS 9000 spotlights (just cos)
do the rest of the wheel bearings and install a new axle shaft in the front
do an oil change
fix the window and remove window tint
new bushes in the shackles all around
fix glovebox latch and brake lights

then the after i got the important things done:

put new steering rods and damper in
fix the handbrake
fix aircon
general maintenance
new shocks
fix the rear diff locker

my long plans:

install a factory duel fuel setup
custom tray
paint the bullbar and get some scrub rails for it

so this is obviously a long term project. i am at the moment just trying to get the bad points sorted out so that i can daily it. then will come the upgrades, inevitably before i have the important stuff done. because that's how it goes right? yes thats where i started:i brought these lights second hand in very good condition. i then brought a wiring harness to suit and installed it after work one night. i finished it up at about 11pm. to say that i'm happy is an understatement.
IMG_20180215_214001.jpg
IMG_20180215_213946.jpg
IMG_20180306_205934.jpg

G'Day Fella's,

Looking good I 47, and nice to hear you have it running well!

The "new" driving lights work well!
And I assume the thing in the middle of the road in the last photo, is a Skippy?
It doesn't look like a Sambar or a Fallow (not that I would know what they look like, under the light) LOL!

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

G'Day Fella's,

Looking good I 47, and nice to hear you have it running well!

The "new" driving lights work well!
And I assume the thing in the middle of the road in the last photo, is a Skippy?
It doesn't look like a Sambar or a Fallow (not that I would know what they look like, under the light) LOL!

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer
Wow i never got back to this thread in a long time. Thanks for the compliments though, appreciated. I have been busy on the red rocket and i had taken many pics up untill my phone completley doed the other day. Of course i hadn't gotten around to backing up my photos.

However stay tuned, updates to come soon.

So progress has been slow unfortunatly. Life seems to get in the way but i have been daily driving the truck and that has allowed me to get to know it. Recently i have done the TREs rods and steering dampner because the po badly bent the old ones. Before:
20180602_124444.jpg
20180603_115946.jpg
20180603_193454.jpg
and yes there was that one.....

And the new stuff. It made an incredible difference to the way the old girl drives. The wheel alignment was perfect before hand amazingly but there is now no slack in the steering wheel and i have really good response. So glad i did it even if that TRE bummed me.

20180602_124453.jpg

20180606_184457.jpg

20180606_184457.jpg

20180606_200004.jpg

I have to admit, I've never seen a coilover spring on a steering stabilizer before. Sheesh,
must be rough country. What brand is that? I could look it up then.

Hello,

Is that steering damper a Tough Dog?

Juan

Hello,

Thank you for the update.

Juan

Hey guys yes its a tough dog return to center sreering dampner. Absolutely awsome prosuct i reckon.

Also i need some wiring help badly. I have my spotties wired somehow so that they turn on with high beam. However as soon as i swich the headlights off with the spotlight switch on my spotlights turn on. It's pretty anoying and there must be away to fix this?

Also i have managed to get my axles sorted out eventually. I blew up my rear open diff centre when it poped out of gear badly.
20180518_220204.jpg
So seeing as i had the arb air locker setup already in the cruiser, i wanted to put an air locker back in. So i found a guy selling a fully rebuilt diff center with an air locker for $1500. I nearly brought it but then i told him it was too expensive for me. After that i decided that i couldn't afford an air locker and had resigned to getting an open diff in there so that i could drive to cruiser at least. So i went down to the local wreckers and they said that they only had 2 landcruisers in their yard. Both 80's. One had 3.7's and the other 4.1's. So i told them that I'd take the rear 4.1 after convincing them that it would work with my 4.11 front end. I then get a call with them saying that I'd have to look elsewhere because they just realised that the diff had an air locker in it:). So i told them to keep pulling it out.... i would be able to use it.

That afternoon i went in to pick it up and they had it all ready. $550. U beauty:rofl:. I put it in that night, and it has obiously just had a rebuild, super tight and brand new bearings covered in still yellowish diff oil. What a winner:):):p

So as far as the front axle.goes, it turns out that both axle.shafts were broken. So i pulled them out, put new diff oil in the diff, put new axle shafts in and did new bearings at the same time. All in all it is now absolutely unstopable off road with lockers front and rear. I am a happy camper.

P.s. no pics of all this sorry as i lost my ph with them all on it.

Well i figured that I'd touch base. So far I've been driving it mostly daily and pulling a few trailers too. The turbo and intercooler make towing a breeze, so much better than i ever expected. Also my best fuel economy so far is 536km from 88L which is about 16.4 L/100km. Bearing in mind that I'm turning 35s and was pulling around 3 ton in hilly areas for about 100 of those ks that is pretty good i reckon.

I have also taken it out on some pretty agressive trails and I'll tell you what, twin locked , 4 inches of lift and 35s make this thing stupidly capable.
20180609_150750.jpg
20180609_152731.jpg
20180609_161144.jpg
not too many pics because I've posted more on artstic cuiser pics thread.

So really been busy but keen to get some more work done to the cruiser in the next few weeks. Starting with the timing belt which has not been done since 170k. The cruiser has 373k on it now. If anyone has the 1hz toyota manual i eould be grateful for some pics of the timing belt replacement pages. I also need to fix the drivers window because its really anying now. Other than that I'm just really enjoying the cruiser for what it is but i am going to sell it when i can afford a vdj79. Fear not, that is not soon.:D

20180609_154434.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom