Builds Aussie 95 HZJ75RP, red rocket build-up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In a few of the pics it looks like you are running revolver shackles in front? I see one pic with normal shackles in front. Are the revolver shackles something from past days?

Cheers

In a few of the pics it looks like you are running revolver shackles in front? I see one pic with normal shackles in front. Are the revolver shackles something from past days?

Cheers
yes they are different shackles but certainly not from past days. they are actually called drop shackles and the idea is simple. i'll do a post with pics shortly but for now i can tell you that they make a massive difference in offroad flex in a leaf spring vehicle. yes they are expensive but they were on the cruiser when i brought it hence i have em. the other shackle is a temporary one till i get new bushes for the drop shackles. here is the link: Superior Drop Shackles Suitable For Toyota Landcruiser 76/78/79 Series Rear | Superior Engineering

Here is how the shackles work:

Closed position for on road use:
20180715_163927.jpg

Pin that is removed to alow shackles to drop:
20180715_163947.jpg
20180715_164020.jpg

Fully extended:

20180715_164034.jpg

And the difference:

Stock height:
20180715_164150.jpg

Pin out offroad use:
20180715_164124.jpg

160mm (6.3 inches) total deference in the 2 different application's

Years ago the Revolver shackle was designed and built by Curt Hilderbrand who was a Jeep owner.
These shackles will give you a lot of droop on the trail, but were discovered to be very squirrely when used for daily driving.
After several accidents by Jeep owners; the shackles lost some of their popularity, but you will still find people using them.
The original design has been modified several times and are beings sold by Tereflex and a few other off road parts manufacturers.
The ones shown above provide a pin that removes the possibility of opening the shackle when braking.

Well it's been awhile since i have updated. All is going well and i have just being using it. I have now put some ks on her and she has being pretty darn good. Got some stuff planned to get done on the old girl this weedend so hopefully can update then.

Out cutting firewood. Thats heavy that trailer
20180809_145902.jpg

Painted the bullbar black
20180809_082449.jpg

and finally drove it some more:
20180804_213520.jpg

Well the stacks are no longer on the old chariot... I've put a side pipe on it since this pic..... quiet in the cab and loud outside. Just perfect

20181110_184601.jpg

Years ago the Revolver shackle was designed and built by Curt Hilderbrand who was a Jeep owner.
These shackles will give you a lot of droop on the trail, but were discovered to be very squirrely when used for daily driving.
After several accidents by Jeep owners; the shackles lost some of their popularity, but you will still find people using them.
The original design has been modified several times and are beings sold by Tereflex and a few other off road parts manufacturers.
The ones shown above provide a pin that removes the possibility of opening the shackle when braking.

Absolutely spot on info!

They are also known to unload on hills climbs or decents. If I recall correctly it was a decent that was really bad.

Cheers

Absolutely spot on info!

They are also known to unload on hills climbs or decents. If I recall correctly it was a decent that was really bad.

Cheers

YES.... You are correct.
During a very steep decent the Jeep ended up going too fast, the rear unloaded when brakes were applied which caused a rollover down a rocky hillside.....
The accident was gruesome...
Most Jeep owners I know consider them unsafe to use....

YES.... You are correct.
During a very steep decent the Jeep ended up going too fast, the rear unloaded when brakes were applied which caused a rollover down a rocky hillside.....
The accident was gruesome...
Most Jeep owners I know consider them unsafe to use....
I'll be honest here, but these particular shackles are absolutely rigid in the closed position. Whenever i have driven with them i haven't noticed any difference at all over normal shackles. However in saying that in the open position in my application the cruiser has to flex along way to make the shackles open right up. Just get coils in my opinion, heaps better all around.

Ironically it's probably just a heep issue.

Hi
Bit off topic but I'm.stuck with a hzj75 rear diff that decided to retire suddenly
.. I have hzj79 series I bought for parts my question is can I change the front diff from my 79 to the rear of my 75?
P.s I found out the long hard way that the rear diff in the 79 wouldn't fit my 75
Cheers

Hi
Bit off topic but I'm.stuck with a hzj75 rear diff that decided to retire suddenly
.. I have hzj79 series I bought for parts my question is can I change the front diff from my 79 to the rear of my 75?
P.s I found out the long hard way that the rear diff in the 79 wouldn't fit my 75
Cheers
Hi there, the front diff is different on the hzj75 and 79 to the rear so you will not be able to swap them in as far as i understand. However I'm not sure why the rear diff wouldn't work but i have never looked in detail at a 79. However, any rear diff off of any cruiser older then a 75 will work, even the late 40s. Just make sure that it has the same ratio, the rear diff in my cruiser is from an 80 with 4.10 gears. It still works fine with a front at 4.11. Hope that helps. Cheerz

Hi there, the front diff is different on the hzj75 and 79 to the rear so you will not be able to swap them in as far as i understand. However I'm not sure why the rear diff wouldn't work but i have never looked in detail at a 79. However, any rear diff off of any cruiser older then a 75 will work, even the late 40s. Just make sure that it has the same ratio, the rear diff in my cruiser is from an 80 with 4.10 gears. It still works fine with a front at 4.11. Hope that helps. Cheerz
Cheers..
I found that the 79 springs were too long for my 75... bugger

Cheers..
I found that the 79 springs were too long for my 75... bugger
Going the next avenue I think... changing the 79 series front diff centre into 79 series rear housing then slide the 75 series axles in it to put it on the 75 series rear .... is that possible or am I just one confused daydreams??

... another dream maybe ... are the 75 and 79 series rear diff housings the same?
They should be. As far as i know, there is no difference in the rear axles. However, i definitely would not use the front diff center in the rear housing, and i am pretty sure that it won't fit. Can you just swap the 79 rear axle into the 75?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom