Audio Shop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What's up guys? Long time lurker here - have met a few of you but have never gotten off my ass and made it to a club event (always shooting for the next one!).

Info on here has been great - hoping someone could offer some advice on my 06 LX. The Levinson system is past its prime and the previous owner blew a few of the speakers. I have read countless threads on this site about speakers, Bluetooth, etc but I would like to go to a reputable shop and actually talk with someone. During my inspection, I found evidence that my truck use to have some sort of sound system in it (4 gauge wire running to battery, etc) and I am worried that if I try to tackle this, being an audio novice, that I may get over my head.

That being said, does any one on here have a shop in the Atlanta area that they really like? Alternatively, if anyone on here is looking to make some easy cash, I would be happy to pay for your time if you feel comfortable doing my install. Not looking for anything too fancy - want to add Bluetooth audio, replace all speakers, and maybe replace factory sub. Also would like to clean up any wires left over from old system. Ideally I would like to help if an individual volunteers - I like this kind of stuff but have no experience.

Any help appreciated. See you guys at the next club meeting (hopefully!).

Rob

Sir,
I am in a similar boat when it comes electronics. Consequently when my bride wanted a new stereo in her BMW a few years ago, we used Aera41 in Kennesaw. They were highly recommended to us and they did a good job on the new stereo for the car (their work and service passed inspection with the bride which is not an easy accomplishment).
Kennesaw may be too far out for your needs, so this may be just a data point in your search. Good luck

Area 41
area41caraudio.com
(678) 594-0141

Thanks Larry, appreciate the info. Was hoping to find someone closer but I have driven farther for less!

Any other input appreciated. Thanks

-Rob

Man, I'm still spinning my wheels here. Multiple quotes to add Bluetooth streaming, replace front and rear speakers plus factory sub - range from $1250 to $1500!

I'm willing to pay for labor but those prices seem ridiculous. Anyone had their done at a shop that can verify? Thanks!

-Rob

Ok, so are you looking at replacing the factory head unit or just adding a bluetooth adapter to the existing unit? If your display is all tied into everything like our 08 GX is then I suspect just looking to upgrade the speakers.

Our GX has bluetooth, so I would be curious if you could possibly upgrade to a newer OE head unit with bluetooth built in. With all the nav and climate control features and other stuff that these screens run these days, it makes it harder to just swap in a new head unit and throw an amp and speakers at it like a few years back.

Speaker install/ replacement would not be too difficult as long as you are just installing new one-for-one. Same with the sub, although you would want to match the power and impedance of the new sub to the existing factory amp otherwise the sound quality will suffer, or might not even work at all. They also make a number of in-line bluetooth and ipod adapters that could be added to the OE head unit without a lot of issues. If you want to use the factory head unit, but upgrade and add amps and such, there are adapters that will take speaker feeds and convert them to pre-amp signals so that you could add new amps and speakers, you will just need to get a wiring diagram and make sure to intercept the proper speakers to make sure the channels are correct (front to back and left to right and all)

Now if you are looking at upgrades to the head unit and adding new Amps, speakers and all that, and you have the fancy factory head unit with Nav and climate control built in, then I am tapping out as that kind of integration is way over my head. You will want someone like @radioridge or someone who has more experience than me to offer assistance on that.

Thanks Jynx. I'm not looking to do anything fancy - no replacing head unit. Just replacing speakers, sub, and adding Bluetooth streaming.

About 7-8 years ago, I was working on a 1973 Jeep JTruck I used to have. Very simple design. Wires were crusty and I trying to replace, rerun, etc. Long story short, I set the engine bay on fire. Almost had the truck blow up in my driveway. After that, I swore off all electrical. I know that soldering wires to speakers is very low impact but I have an irrational fear of electrical.

If I ordered all parts to do it myself, I would just look at them for 6 months before taking it to a shop anyway. Ideally, I would find someone/some shop that would let me order my own equipment and just charge me for labor. But I am having a hard time finding that.

Ah well, the search continues!

-Rob

Benchmark Soundworks in Alpharetta did my GX470 and it is fantastic. Custom surround too. Top notch.

I'll look into them Dan, thanks! I'm looking to have a single 10 inch sub and head unit installed in my LX450

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom