ATF Problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had an ATF line burst and throw ATF all over my undercarriage, so much I was cleaning it off the back windshield… long story short, I’ve tried soap and water and degreaser… still smoking when I travel on the Hwy etc… should I be concerned about a fire or just keep short tripping it till it smokes off?

ATF is highly flammable. If it get onto a surface that's hot enough, it will burn. Acetone will remove it.

FWIW, and this has nothing to do with that, alcohol removes brake fluid.

Last edited:
had the same thing happen. cooler line sprung a leak due to a sloppy radiator install by yours truly.

after the tow home, i pressure washed the under carriage after soaking everything in Simple Green. driveway took a LONG time to bring back to a respectable state!

had the same thing happen. cooler line sprung a leak due to a sloppy radiator install by yours truly.

after the tow home, i pressure washed the under carriage after soaking everything in Simple Green. driveway took a LONG time to bring back to a respectable state!
Yep. Going through that right now. Kinda scared to pressure wash the undercarriage, but might have to go that route.

Yep. Going through that right now. Kinda scared to pressure wash the undercarriage, but might have to go that route.
Use a wide fan nozzle and you'll be fine pressure washing it. Automatic car washes usually have a high pressure underbody spray and they don't hurt anything. Hell, a bunch of us end up belly deep in water quite often and smash down on rocks. If an 80 can handle what I do to mine, it can handle a little pressure washing

Suit up in your worst clothes (a hoodie may be good for this).
Park it in the street, soak the underside in Simple Green.
Verify your axle vents and any other place where water may get sprayed into, are properly addressed.
Drive to the local "pump in the quarters" type car wash with your creeper, $20-30 in quarters, a towel, and a change of clothes.
Soak the underside in Simple Green again.
Pump in $10 at a time and roll around underneath as long as needed to get it as clean as you want.
After it's dry, paint exposed parts as needed or coat nearly everything in Fluid Film, undercoating, etc. (there are threads here about this)

In my experience this is more effective than the auto carwashes with the undercarriage wash option.

Suit up in your worst clothes (a hoodie may be good for this).
Park it in the street, soak the underside in Simple Green.
Verify your axle vents and any other place where water may get sprayed into, are properly addressed.
Drive to the local "pump in the quarters" type car wash with your creeper, $20-30 in quarters, a towel, and a change of clothes.
Soak the underside in Simple Green again.
Pump in $10 at a time and roll around underneath as long as needed to get it as clean as you want.
After it's dry, paint exposed parts as needed or coat nearly everything in Fluid Film, undercoating, etc. (there are threads here about this)

In my experience this is more effective than the auto carwashes with the undercarriage wash option.
Yup! Quarter car wash for the win. We do it all the time to cleanup greasymud caked rigs before we wrench on them. Our local car washes mostly accept credit cards nowadays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom