ATF maintenance to a 2011 FJ Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My FJ is a 2011, its about to hit 110K miles. It still runs like new and I want to keep it running that way. I want to change the ATF fluid but there isn't a dipstick to the transmission and I read according to Toyota these transmissions are sealed transmissions. I'm also seeing a lot of people flushing their transmissions and changing the fluid in their FJ around 100k miles...

I'm planning an off-road trip next week when school is over so I'd like to change it before that.
Does anyone who has changed their transmission fluid know what things to be mindful of??

My FJ is a 2011, its about to hit 110K miles. It still runs like new and I want to keep it running that way. I want to change the ATF fluid but there isn't a dipstick to the transmission and I read according to Toyota these transmissions are sealed transmissions. I'm also seeing a lot of people flushing their transmissions and changing the fluid in their FJ around 100k miles...

I'm planning an off-road trip next week when school is over so I'd like to change it before that.
Does anyone who has changed their transmission fluid know what things to be mindful of??

They're not sealed, they just don't have a dip stick. There are drain, fill, and level-check plugs on the side and under the transmission. Locations and instructions on how to check the level are all in the Factory Service Manual.

If you're going to change the fluid, you really want to flush it, not just drain and fill the pan. When you drain the pan and re-fill, you are only changing out about 10-20% of the fluid in the system; the rest of the dirty old fluid is still sitting in the torque converter and the pump, etc. A complete flush will take 11+ quarts of ATF. I do mine with fully-synthetic ATF; but YMMV. The Toyota "World Standard" stuff is not cheap anyway, so you might as well spend a little more and get the really good stuff.

The flush can be done at home; it is easier with a helper but possible to do by yourself. Complete instructions are available on the blue forum. It's basically the same as the "Rodney Flush" that you can find for 80-series Land Cruisers here on Mud.

Since the fill-level check plug takes the place of the dip stick, you'll want to read up on it in the FSM or the blue forum. The working of the level-check plug is temperature dependent; to be accurate, the transmission needs to be fully warm, but not overly hot. You can short some pins in the scan port under the steering wheel, and get lights in the dash to flash/indicate when the trans. temp. is in range or too hot or too cold.

Thanks for the info 1911, it didn't sound rite that these transmissions would be sealed. Makes sense to flush out the transmission instead of just drain and refill the oil pan too. The only issue is that I've never flushed a transmission before. If you or anyone else has any info about how to flush the transmission and what to use to flush it I'd appreciate it...

Thanks for the info 1911, it didn't sound rite that these transmissions would be sealed. Makes sense to flush out the transmission instead of just drain and refill the oil pan too. The only issue is that I've never flushed a transmission before. If you or anyone else has any info about how to flush the transmission and what to use to flush it I'd appreciate it...

Quite a bit of reading here: DIY Auto Transmission flush? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum but all the info is in there. You flush it with new ATF of the proper spec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom