At it again, third time... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I really dont know what to say with this one... This is the third time ive had timing related issues... Its not my mechanical abilities... I think its just got to be a cursed 22R.

If I fix this, itll be the third time in 3months that i will have my engine torn down to the block. 2/3 were do to timing, one was a leak.

This time around its the half moon key that holds the timing gear cog on the crank shaft.

Small fix, until you add the fact that theres a high chance of bent valves, which is a hassle, and frankly, its a 4cyl and isnt the best for my DD needs...

I have two options sitting in my garge a 5.7 or a 4.3.

Now, I will be hated for this, im positive, but because of recent financial issues and the fact I just dumped a ton of money into a trip to Alaska that I cannot refund, I am going to carb the 4.3 and adapt to the toyota tranny because I know the 4.3 runs, I do not have a chevy tranny, nor the money for lengthed driveshafts, wiring, etc.

Will the transmission hold up to a 4.3? Any recomendation on a HD clutch?

Theres no way this is going to be cheap, but it will be an upgrade in my opinion. They toyota gods have frowned upon me, but the chevy gods rejoice with my decision.

I have to say, this is one tough thing to do... I had so much respect for the toyota line, maybe its just my ****ty luck... Happens to be very prevalent lately :bang:

Last edited:
Hmm... I really dont know, according to toyota my truck should be EFI, which would be the W56, but the stupid thing is carbed and judgeing by the hack job wiring, its not the original engine... Its got the removable bell housing, any other way to identify it?

Hmm... I really dont know, according to toyota my truck should be EFI, which would be the W56, but the stupid thing is carbed and judgeing by the hack job wiring, its not the original engine... Its got the removable bell housing, any other way to identify it?

Marlin has a bunch of info that should help.

Rebuilt Complete | Marlin Crawler, Inc.

Thank you, i knew marlin had that... Just Kinda hard to tell from the bottom i guess...

way i do it, from the driver side, if it has a switch with a wire harness coming out of it with a hold down clip real close to it, its a W series.

if not, its a G series. only the g52 and g54 have the gear drive case. the g 58 has the chain case.

Alright, its gear driven case, i know that, so... After I wake up more Ill climb under her and see whats going on!

I have run a 350 in front of Gs and Ws (lockers and 36s downstream)with no problems attributable to tranny strength.

That said, I have no doubt that I could destroy the tranny if I tried... :) a few high rpm clutch dumps on pavement should do the trick :)

Drive it with a modicum of common sense and it will be fine. abuse it and it won't.

Mark...

whoa............slow down. What happened to the key. You sure the valves are bent?

The key literally sheered, and yes im sure. No pressure holding in cylinders 1&3... All the valves can be warrantied, but... I just cant justify doing this AGAIN! Especially when i have a good-to-go 4.3 sitting in my garage...

Plus, with me going to school and all... The 4.3 will allow for highway driving with more ease than the 22r and give me jsut a few mpgs less...

Honestly I have no freaking clue. I was at idle, talking to my buddy after a 30 minute drive, he shut the door and it died. Cranked her over, VERY familiar sound... Stopped, pulled the cap, bumped the key, no turney of the rotor... Pulled the cover, key is sheared. Explain that one to me? Im stumped...

Wrong bolt in the guide and it backed out? No matter damage is done:frown:

I must be lucky mine went without major issues the first time.....well one pipe that decided to leak on the back side of the timing cover.Which I did need to pull the cover for that to fix.

I did use a bit of Indian Head:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom