Are mods really necessary for dirt roads? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've taken my '99 through Death Valley, backroads of Southern Arizona, Utah and California - and quite frankly, have found that my stock LC does it all without a wimper, shutter, or slip. So am I missing something?

The only mod that makes much sense to me is a steel bumper i might want to attach winch to - but I haven't needed one - these trucks just keep going! (Got to love it!)

Do you think mods are necessary for on dirt roads, bad dirt roads, was once a road now looks like a wash roads? If so, which ones and why?

Gil
Ventura

Do you think mods are necessary for on dirt roads, bad dirt roads, was once a road now looks like a wash roads? If so, which ones and why?

Nope, stock suspension and drivetrain can handle this with ease. Only mod I would recommend is upgraded tires for peace of mind in traction and less chance of side wall puncture.

You're right, the LC is quite capable. Unless you've hit some seriously rocky our uneven terrain you're fine stock.

The first mod people usually get is bigger better tires, then sliders to help them slide across the rocks. If the roads you're traveling have no rocks or washed out roads then keep it stock.

like he said, i would upgrade tires, at max, if that is all you are doing. As far as armor, i would do sliders before front, steel bumpers (even though i did the opposite). The long wheel base of the hundy makes the breakover angle not great, thus some slider are a reassuring add on. Dirt/ gravel roads are nothing to even think about. Sorry for ending the previous sentence in a preposition.

For dirt roads, no. For medium to difficult trails, yes.

oops, patrick beat me on the response. . . . but same sentiment.

depends on your definition of a "dirt road", your willingness to turn around if a good dirt road has one, bad, impassible spot in for a stock truck, the loads you carry, etc. I went back to OEM suspension + spacer, but find the spacer nice to run the 295 tires. They make a huge difference aired down on dirt roads. I also find large loads (just had 5 Scouts and all our camping gear loaded up for an off-road campout) necessitate air bags in back. You may not. I haven't "needed" the bumper, have scraped the sliders several times, and I'm waiting on the rear bumper to get torn off (so far using the trailer hitch as a rear skid). So no, not "necessary", but if you plan to push your limits of "dirt road", then they will pay for themselves over a tow bill, rocker repair, quarterpanel damage, and unsafe handling. Heck, not only that, but see jonharis' Slee Bumper crash thread. Can benefit even on (crappy) pavement. So again, not "necessary", but neither to be scorned as superfluous, because it only takes one stick to flatten your p-metric tire, one rock to mangle your rockers, one bad sand pit to get your stuck and have a looooong walk out, and one bad breakover angle to bend up your underbits...

Come on, now. Stock, these things can handle a lot more than dirt roads. I've crossed 3' deep streams, crawled boulders, run up steep granite faces and churned through mud in a stock LX. Be careful, but you can do it.

If you want to run technical trails, the size of the 100 requires some protection.

So by "stock" do you mean you didn't raise the AHC?

I did sometimes raise it, but not usually. I even ride (my wife rides) on LTX M/S. I've had everything from a '72 CJ-5 with a 401 to a full size 3500 pick up, to a Jeep Cherokeee/Grand Cherokee. The 100 is impressive, but biggish.

upgrade tires to what? (I'm using the usual mich ltx m/s.) And this is to increase sidewall protection?

Gil

gil12 said:
upgrade tires to what? (I'm using the usual mich ltx m/s.) And this is to increase sidewall protection?

Gil

Typically upgrade diameter for ground clearance, width and tread pattern for traction. Sidewall stiffness and load carrying ability can be changed too. The stock LC suspension can handle larger tires, up to 295/75/16. Gets you an extra inch of ground clearance.

^Ya beat me to it. I bought my hundy last July and drove it from Charleston to my home in Austin and stripped of the fender bulges and running boards, changed the fluids and hopped back in it less than 24 hours later and headed to the FJ Summit in Ouray. Stock Michelins and no lift with worn out shocks and springs, the Cruiser went up and over Imogene Pass and back over Ophir without issue.

Was having this discussion w a buddy 2 days ago. I've put on Duratracs (285), tweeked the torsion bars slightly - less than an inch and added HD Bilsteins. I run forest service roads, some sand at the beach and mild trails to get to camping/kayaking spots. I'm very happy as is.

Now- I would love a an Ironman/ARB bumper out front - not for bashing boulders, but for North Georgia whitetails that are more abundant than squirrels. But then it snowballs... to do it right, I'd need new torsion bars, and a diff drop. Then the balance the rig, weight-wise and aesthetically, a rear bumper is needed, with HD rear springs. She'd need sliders because the running boards have to go, yet the kids need a way to get in. Then a winch, and tire & fuel can mounts. What is that $5,500?, for something I'm already very happy with? And it probably won't fit in my garage anymore.

I have lifted 2 Jeeps (XJ and TJ) and lowered 1 "track" car that never saw the track(325i), all of which came with some regrets - performance and cost.

Find joy in simple things.

^^ Well said! :)

Completely stock with the exception of slider steps and 285s.

I see no need to go farther than this for the type of wheeling you are talking about. Everything else does one of two things. Let's you go farther without having to turn around, and giving you more opportunity to get even more stuck. My truck drove better, got better economy and was more comfortable before I did all the crap i did yo it. Would I do it again? Absolutely.

The problem is, that it is a serious addiction. Once you get a little bigger, more aggressive tire, you will then want everything that can be bolted on, placed in or attached to the 100 etc. . .

Mudd is basically a support group where we tell each other its ok to spend more money than the vehicle is worth just to lower its value and damage it.

Yukon - You're right. Don't get me wrong, I don't knock you guys with built rigs. I'm on this site daily - dreaming, looking up things, learning.

I barely have the money to cover the things I need to do in my life, and have less for all the things I want to do in my life. If I weren't into hiking, camping, fishing, paddling and my old popup camper then I probably would go down the path of making an awesome rig into a totally awesome rig. Its almost justifiable - my rig is the vehicle that supports all of the things I like to do.

You should be good to go with taking the running boards off, and throwing an aggressive AT like your Duratracs on there in 285/75/16 (guessing you have 16 inch wheels) i think thats what you have by your sig. If you end up on the rocks more than often, throw on some sliders.

Be careful though, it is a slippery slope :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom