Are all zerks the same? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
dizzy.ucns.uga.edu
This is driving me nuts--I'm trying to be good about maintenance, including chassis lube, but there are 5-10 zerks that I can't get my grease gun to snap on to. I'll push and push, but even when it seems to be attached, when I squeeze the handle the grease squirts out along the sides. I don't _think_ it's the gun, because there are other fittings that it clips onto just fine, but I'd be willing to buy a different gun if it would help. (Mine's got a flex hose, and I'm beginning to think I might have better luck w/ a rigid pipe.)

I thought zerks were one standard size--I haven't put a micrometer on em, but they _look_ the same. Could I have two sizes of zerks on my truck? Anybody have any tips?

Thanks

If you can unscreww them with 12mm (i think) wrench and soak them in some carb cleaner or something you might free up that little ball bearing that blocks hole. That's probably your only problem. I think all Zerks are the same on a single vehicle. They may be differnt, however, for industrial application...

The U-Joint zerks require the joint to be pointed 'just so' or the grease gun 'nozzle' won't pop onto the zirk...
On my 60, those are the only 4 that are 'position' sensitive...

The U-joint zerk 'in front' of the xfer is a PITA to line-up & get to . . .

As for zerk-ball check valve; what I've found: too much back pressure cause grease gun nozzle to become tightly bound to fitting...dang near gotta pry it off . . .

flowman said:
Could I have two sizes of zerks on my truck? Thanks

Are they the U-joint zerks? If so, I think Soggy60 is right on. Those buggers are really difficult to align perfectly. For the rear ones, an assistant could help by having the rig in neutral and ready to hit the brakes as you move the truck until the zerk is just right. Even if the gun snaps on the zerk, if it's cockeyed it'll squirt out the side.

I have three guns, two w/rigid and one with flex hose. Zirks in the shackles are easy, as are the ones of the TRE's, but the freakin u-joints are a pain in the axx...as mentioned, straight shot is critical, then patience. If it even begins to squirt around the outside of the zirk, I yank the gun off and start over. You know it's working when you hear a pop, pop, pop sound as the grease works in to the u-joint.

I've thought about buying an expensive gun, and would love to hear from anybody who's got a gun that works great. Sounds like a couple of us could benefit...

I think the u-joint zerks were the worst, although i know I couldn't get it to snap on one TRE fitting. Thanks--I'm gonna keep fighting w/ them and keep track of which ones give me trouble--maybe take them off and clean to free em up. I still think I might try to find a rigid pipe grease gun, or see if I can swap the hose for a pipe. Do they sell parts for grease guns????

Thanks yall!

there are multiple different sizes. if you are aligned right and it still won't feed, pull it and go to your local mom and pop hardware store...they should be able to match it.

HawkDriver said:
Ya I've seen at least 2 different sizes. You could just go down and buy a bunch and make em all the same size and new :eek: . :beer:

I'm trying to find flush mount grease fittings to replace the zerks in my U joints with. We have 'em on the landing gear on our jets and they're so much better than standard zerks. Stick a needle on 'em firmly and they never spray grease "outside" of the fitting.

Spook50 said:
I'm trying to find flush mount grease fittings to replace the zerks in my U joints with. We have 'em on the landing gear on our jets and they're so much better than standard zerks. Stick a needle on 'em firmly and they never spray grease "outside" of the fitting.

they sound slick, post a pic if you can take one!

flowman said:
they sound slick, post a pic if you can take one!

I'll try but I'm not sure how much luck I'll have. Cops here tend to frown on maintainers taking pics of details on our jets :rolleyes:
If I can find some in our bench stock I can compare 'em to regular zerk fittings. I know the ones on our jets are for smaller holes, so I'd have to find out if larger flush sittings are available that fit the holes for our zerks.

Anyone know the exact hole/thread sizes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom