ARB Skidplates (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have these? They look to be a great value. The stock plates on my GX are kind of beat up and ragged looking; I'd like something a bit more protective for a trip to CO and Moab this summer. I won't be hardcore wheeling but hitting up a lot of rocky trails, as I do with the GX here in Missouri.

Those are pretty much the same thickness as the factory plates. I'd recommend budbuilt or RCI or you're just replacing like with like that covers a tiny bit more. Not worth it IMO.

Those are pretty much the same thickness as the factory plates. I'd recommend budbuilt or RCI or you're just replacing like with like that covers a tiny bit more. Not worth it IMO.
Thanks, if they are indeed similar in thickness to the factory plates I'll actually save up for a welder and replace the factory with Coastal Offroad weld-it-yourself plates.

I have the ARB skids purchased through Metal Tech 4x4 and I'm really happy with them. They've been out rock crawling and have been trail tested. Yes there are better ones for twice the money but these are a good compromise. Way better and thicker than factory. My stock skids looked like someone took a giant can opener to them.

I too have the ARB skids for the GX470. They are definitely thicker than OEM skids. I believe somewhere around 1/8" thick. They have served my needs well. I don't play around large rocks and if there is one then I go around it or put a tire over it. It all depends on the type of wheeling you intend on doing.

I have a set in the garage ready to install.

They are easily double the thickness of the thin OEM skids. For 99% of GX owners they are perfect. I wouldn't trust them to hold the weight of a truck on top of a rock like the Budbuilts will, but my GX is not a hardcore trail rig. For the usual sticks/rocks kicked up on mild trails these are great and a serious improvement over stock.

Thanks for the replies and positive feedback. I won't be doing any hardcore wheeling in the GX (it's primary focus is kid hauling and getting us to the trailhead/campground), but the OEM plates seem inadequate for the medium- to light wheeling I actually do. So it's good to hear these are an improvement over OEM. I'll pull the trigger on some later this spring prior to our trip out west.

Actually they are much thicker than stock. Just installed a set. Stock skid is 1.5mm, ARB 3.5mm, Bud Built 4.76mm. ARB indeed covers further back and includes a transfer case skid. I am mostly running rough old logging and mining roads and rough gravel roads, I think they are sufficient while not weighing the rig down.

There are a few drawbacks:

1) No oil filter access
2) On the 460 the mid plate sits lower than stock plates, basically comes down to where those low support arms are. The advantage of this is they are the lowest point on the vehicle, also creates a flat transition from front to rear with fewer spots to get hung up.
3) I had to auger out 3 of the mounting holes with a dremel to get the bolts in, PITA since you don't know which holes are off until you are under there, but otherwise install was easy.

Last edited:
qq for the 470 (KDSS ideally): do these plates cover the cat? Seen thefts skyrocket lately and was hoping that this would help with theft prevention in addition to protection

Ordered a set from Amazon (free shipping) on Monday and put them on tonight. Wrenching is always a good Friday afternoon stress relief.

Overall, they are much thicker, stiffer, and beefier than stock. Protection for the transmission and transfer case are greatly improved. Fitment and instructions were so-so, and the powdercoating was chipped in a few places. I was able to get the front, middle, and rear skidplates in without any adjustments, but had to partially install the small transfer case skid and then hit it a few times with a 5-lb BFH to get all of the bolts in. Luckily, these allow for oil changes without dropping the front plate (not the case with the factory front plate), so I won't be taking them off very often. I also had to trim the front plastic splash guard.

See the picture below. Ignore the rusty underbelly, that's the next project after rock sliders and headers.

20210319_191219.jpg

I need some skids so this helps me thank you.

Yeah this has been an awesome thread. Saved me ~$600 on buying a full set of fancy pants KDSS skids. Ordered last night on Amazon. Would have loved to support metaltech but that $100+ shipping - no thanks!

One thing I forgot to mention is that the two forward-most bolts (front plate into the radiator core support) were M6 in my GX, but the bolts provided by ARB were M8. They are relatively long bolts (70 mm). I ended up drilling out the factory core support and tapping it to a M8x1.25. Alternatively, you could find some M6x70 mm bolts and retain the stock threading. Those bolts were broken in my GX when I bought it, and I subsequently broke another one tightening it with a 1/4" impact driver, so they were too small and had already been drilled out and re-tapped twice, so it was time to upgrade to larger M8 bolts that hopefully won't break off.

Ordered a set from Amazon (free shipping) on Monday and put them on tonight. Wrenching is always a good Friday afternoon stress relief.

Overall, they are much thicker, stiffer, and beefier than stock. Protection for the transmission and transfer case are greatly improved. Fitment and instructions were so-so, and the powdercoating was chipped in a few places. I was able to get the front, middle, and rear skidplates in without any adjustments, but had to partially install the small transfer case skid and then hit it a few times with a 5-lb BFH to get all of the bolts in. Luckily, these allow for oil changes without dropping the front plate (not the case with the factory front plate), so I won't be taking them off very often. I also had to trim the front plastic splash guard.

See the picture below. Ignore the rusty underbelly, that's the next project after rock sliders and headers.

View attachment 2619777
sorry to dig up an old thread but do these work with a diff drop? and no issues with oil change?

Sorry, can't answer your question as I don't have a diff drop nor a lift. Oil changes would likely require removing the front skid, but you can access the drain pan from the mid-skid.

This is on a 460, but I think the skid sets are the same between all the 120s/150s with KDSS. Wanted to show the thickness compared to stock. While they're definitely not as robust as a BudBuilt skid or an RCI skid, they're definitely thicker than stock and offer a bit more coverage down the length of the vehicle.

I had similar experiences as the others noted. Not all the bolts fit in the holes without reaming/adjustment (two, one on the front skid and one on the transfer case skid), and the paint? (I think it's paint) was scraped away in several spots due to shipping. The box wasn't great. That being said, I paid $630.49 shipped to Nevada, which to me is good value especially given I don't plan on bouncing the thing off rocks. I'll replace these when I do.

PXL_20211106_195045864.jpg
PXL_20211106_174024262.jpg

PXL_20211106_174027354.jpg
PXL_20211106_174052568.jpg

Last edited:
sorry to dig up an old thread but do these work with a diff drop? and no issues with oil change?
I'm not running a diff drop either (hasn't been an issue so far with a 2.5" lift). For the oil change, it's a bit tricky and I've found it easier to date to just drop the skid to remove the filter (draining the pan is NBD as it has a cutout under the drain plug). Next time I do the filter I'm might experiment with a different pan to catch the oil that drains out and ty to skip dropping the skids.

Here are some pics after mine. Prior to getting the lift, I hit these HARD on some rocks, both locally and out in CO/UT. They definitely got bent up but did a great job of protecting the underside of the GX. They also let the GX slide over stuff really well. I've only hit them a couple of times since lifting, and it's been sliding over steep soil slopes, rather than banging down on a rock. I really don't care that they are bent as they still function just fine. I would get them again. They were only ~$450 shipped when I bought them.
20211210_135319.jpg

20211210_135330.jpg

I'm not running a diff drop either (hasn't been an issue so far with a 2.5" lift). For the oil change, it's a bit tricky and I've found it easier to date to just drop the skid to remove the filter (draining the pan is NBD as it has a cutout under the drain plug). Next time I do the filter I'm might experiment with a different pan to catch the oil that drains out and ty to skip dropping the skids.

Here are some pics after mine. Prior to getting the lift, I hit these HARD on some rocks, both locally and out in CO/UT. They definitely got bent up but did a great job of protecting the underside of the GX. They also let the GX slide over stuff really well. I've only hit them a couple of times since lifting, and it's been sliding over steep soil slopes, rather than banging down on a rock. I really don't care that they are bent as they still function just fine. I would get them again. They were only ~$450 shipped when I bought them.
View attachment 2860940
View attachment 2860941
Do the skids use the same factory bolt holes on the crossmember? Mine have a bolt broken off in one of the holes, unfortunately.

View attachment 2860940
View attachment 2860941
thanks for the pics! looks like exactly what i need.

Do the skids use the same factory bolt holes on the crossmember? Mine have a bolt broken off in one of the holes, unfortunately.
Yes, they do. It's not a huge deal to drill out the bolts with a cordless drill and re-tap them (to a same or larger size), just go slow and use a lot of lubricant. You'll break a few bits in the process but they are pretty cheap. I had to drill out the front two bolts on mine and switch them from M6 to M8.

Yes, they do. It's not a huge deal to drill out the bolts with a cordless drill and re-tap them (to a same or larger size), just go slow and use a lot of lubricant. You'll break a few bits in the process but they are pretty cheap. I had to drill out the front two bolts on mine and switch them from M6 to M8.
Yeah, guess I'll have to drill them out. Oh well. Needs to be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom