ARB Air Compressor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gun Runner 5

ODD IRON OFF ROAD
SILVER Star
Threads
Has anyone had issues with engine bay heat shortening the life of their ARB air compressor? Has anyone mounted the compressor in the cab of their 70 Series?
Thanks

I know the small 24V ARB I have in place of the headlight squirt reservoir gets very hot after inflating 4 tires.
I feel most of that heat is self-generated. I have to have the bonnet open to operate the compressor anyway.
I have a rubber hose attached for the first 3 or 4 feet since it can withstand higher temps.
When done, I have to apply a damp paper towel to the air hose fittings near the compressor as they are too hot to touch.

I did not want another high amp device in the cab since I have too many new wires going through the firewall already.

My old BJ70 had the arb compressor mounted under the hood for around 15 years. I only used it for lockers, but it survived.

When I got my 74 I mounted the compressor in the cab. It only gets used for lockers as well, I have a Puma in that truck for inflation duties. Yes it gets your attention when it cycles, lol!

My old BJ70 had the arb compressor mounted under the hood for around 15 years. I only used it for lockers, but it survived.

When I got my 74 I mounted the compressor in the cab. It only gets used for lockers as well, I have a Puma in that truck for inflation duties. Yes it gets your attention when it cycles, lol!
I know some of the Jeep guys place them under their seats but I would guess the carpet dampens some of the noise. I think it would sound like a swarm of woodpeckers if I tried that in my tin-can pickup. 😁

I’ve had 2 different setups under the hood and my current under the seat compressors. Both seemed to work just fine.

1 under the hood was even a hot 80 series 1fz I wheeled the crap out of. No issues.

Hello,

I hate to state the obvious, but compressing air increases temperature.

Most air compressors have a reciprocating piston in a cylinder that compresses the air. Like all pistons, it heats up from friction. Add compression heating to the stresses that said piston must endure. And this without oil squirters.

A well lubricated piston in an air compressor can last a lifetime.

In a couple of air compressors that I have had, I have put additional lubricant in the cylinder to extend the piston's service life.

I would say heat from both compression and overuse kills compressors, not engine heat.

As for mounting the compressor below one of the front seats, there is enough space in a 70 Series truck. However, in a 75/79 Series pick-up, the setup can be noisy because there is less room.

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom