April run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Klunky Chris said:
Totally!
I've had this conversation with other 80's owners and it tends to be a common issue. There are all kinds of *different* things that need addressed on an 80. Even a great 40/55/60 spotter can get into trouble if they aren't familiar.

Control arms seem to be the big issue. You don't want to be dragging them over things or beating on them. A leaf spring might take it ok and has inherent *springiness* to protect it.

Yeah it was a blast. I haven't heard any one breaking/bending those control arms, yet. I think, the only weakest point in those control arms are the bolts and the bushings (based on my wheeling style), which I check periodically and carry spares in the truck. I carry half the garage in the truck (as Dominic says :D). Now this is based on just dragging on them. If one were to heavily pound on them, I don't know what would happen. I try not to pound on them but occasionally it happens. I never got hung up on those arms thus far. I avoid sitting on them that's why I'd rather drag on them. I agree, 80 has spots where it gets hung up. I think I have discovered all the spots but some times it's inevitable. Rear bumper and the diffs are definitely the ones. However, getting hung up on the slider bracket was a surprise to me although it makes sense. Now leaf springs are also not a good spot to drag on. Their weakest link, in my experience, are the lower shackle bolts and the U-bolts. I have broken a few and seen a few broken :D.

Cool video! It sure was a lot colder than it looked!
I do have maybe 5-6 pics. will get 'em posted asap!

Man, I wish I coulda made this run, but I'm still driving around uninspected. :frown: Rausch Creek is a little too far to take a chance with that. But anyways it looks like you guys had a lotta fun. I got about 2 mins of that video, I'll have to go somewhere with broadband to download all of it. Now lets see some pics! I wanna see that truggy. :cheers:

here is one of the Ford

Ford00003.sized.jpg

there are a couple more here..

there's a few more pics here and here

-hildy why don't you just stop by sometime and see it for yourself, you're what 5 or 10 minutes away?

Last edited:
That looks like some serious fun!! Riad, I saw the title and thought about your last "major trail carnage incident" and thought the worst. Glad to see you came through this one pretty unscathed:) Let me know when you guys plan another trip and I am in. I went up to Paragon last month and wheeled with a bunch of Rubi's. I just got some new MT's and I would like to break them in.

:bounce:

BROKEROB1 said:
That looks like some serious fun!! Riad, I saw the title and thought about your last "major trail carnage incident" and thought the worst. Glad to see you came through this one pretty unscathed:) Let me know when you guys plan another trip and I am in. I went up to Paragon last month and wheeled with a bunch of Rubi's. I just got some new MT's and I would like to break them in.

:bounce:

Yeah, don't remind me of that one :D. Why do you think I don't have 6" lift :D. That would be sweet, let's hook up next time ;).

Your video makes me sea sick...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom