April 2022 rolling out now: check 1st post. 3 Models 25% so far. (7 Viewers)

What temperature do you set your fridge at?

• 0°F - I like using it for Meats, Ice Cream and other Frozen Foods!

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • 27°F - Just seafood for me!

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • 40°F - I use it as a normal refridgerator (drinks, vegetables, fruits, leftovers and etc).

Votes: 50 82.0%
  • 45-65°F - Why would anybody waste that precious refritgerated space on anything but Wine!??

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@SharpeCat - Thanks for organizing! After going back and forth the last couple of days deciding on which model to go with, (we) decided to go with the vl45pro. I really wanted to take advantage of the vl65 dual deal, but I think when the tailgate is extended, it would prevent cover to open up all the way as the fridge will be sitting on my drawer system which is about 8" off the floor. The removable cover on the pro was the deciding factor. Now have to figure out how to provide power for it for 3-4 day trips =)

@SharpeCat - Thanks for organizing! After going back and forth the last couple of days deciding on which model to go with, (we) decided to go with the vl45pro. I really wanted to take advantage of the vl65 dual deal, but I think when the tailgate is extended, it would prevent cover to open up all the way as the fridge will be sitting on my drawer system which is about 8" off the floor. The removable cover on the pro was the deciding factor. Now have to figure out how to provide power for it for 3-4 day trips =)
My pleasure brother!

Short answer: Get a 500-1000 watt hour portable power bank (Like a Jackery) with DC pass-through charging & low-voltage cutoff, and a 100-120 watt solar panel (i like the Flexible or the Foldable ones for easy storage) that can connect directly into your power bank; fully charge the bank before trip.

Power consumption is similar across all models, due to them all using the same compressor. As you get bigger in volume, you will consume more but the difference is not significant. Also, DC is generally more efficient as converting to AC will usually come at a loss (as high as 20-25%). I did try both AC and DC during testing and using the adapter(s) they provided.

When compressor is off, it uses just a few watts of power to keep electronics on (as low as 1). When compressor is on it is about 45-60W continuously (DC). Most of the time (unless heavy use/lots of lid open events), the compressor will be off. It will come on and bring the temp to about 3 below what you set it as, and then shut off until the temp is around 3 above what you set it as (that's the entire cycle).

How much time the compressor spends being on versus off will depend a lot of personal mileage: some people will open the lid 20 times to grab 20 things over 2 hours, and some people will open the lid just a few times. Some people/their pets might just leave the lid open to get a whiff of cool air/stick their head in it for a few minutes, and that's going to be very costly in terms of power consumption. Personally, i averaged about 20W continuous over the long run.

Lets say its 30Watts hours per hour is your average during the day/heavy use hours. When you are sleeping/not using it, it's way less (cooler at night). It's probably not far off to guess the entire day's average use to be around ~20watt hours per hour.

Now, 24 hours at 20Watt hours per hour (compressor on ~1/3rd of the time) = ~480watt hours per day:
- a 100W solar panel (plugs directly into power bank) will get you about 60watts continuous while the sun is out, so 8 hours of sunlight = 480watts hours.
- Your AC port in the back of your LC is 100W continuous, so 5 hours of driving/alternator charging will refill 500 watt Hours.
- Your starter battery has excess charge left after a drive, so transfer that to your bank after you park (via 12V DC).

So on days where you can't get 8 hours of sunlight, chances are you'll have enough battery saved up in the power bank (Assuming you charged b4 trip). Worst case and everything is drained/no sunlight, just drive around for a few hours (unlikely that you'll need to unless it rains/cloudy the entire 3-4 days).

I have gotten by with one similar to the 250wH one on ICECO's site (mine was a jackery 240), but for you guys i'd recommend a 500-1000 watt hour bank. They're all pretty similar but if you ever see a Group buy or good discount on a Jackery 500 or bigger (20% ish is their sale discount), then i'd grab it! With no discount then just get whichever one is the best deal (Renogy banks are good as well, and there are many many others that i haven't researched).

Last edited:
Thanks for the info but I just wanted to mention Wh / h = W.
20watt hours per hour.
Watt is a rate, basically joules / second. Like miles per hour.
Watt hours is basically a measurement of how much. Like 20 mph * 1 hour = 20 miles. 20 watts * 1h = 20 Wh.

So 20 watt hours per hour is like saying (how much) per hour which is a rate again, 20 miles / hour = 20 mph. 20 Wh / h = W.

Last edited:
My pleasure brother!

Short answer: Get a 500-1000 watt hour portable power bank (Like a Jackery) with DC pass-through charging & low-voltage cutoff, and a 100-120 watt solar panel (i like the Flexible or the Foldable ones for easy storage) that can connect directly into your power bank; fully charge the bank before trip.

Power consumption is similar across all models, due to them all using the same compressor. As you get bigger in volume, you will consume more but the difference is not significant. Also, DC is generally more efficient as converting to AC will usually come at a loss (as high as 20-25%). I did try both AC and DC during testing and using the adapter(s) they provided.

When compressor is off, it uses just a few watts of power to keep electronics on (as low as 1). When compressor is on it is about 45-60W continuously (DC). Most of the time (unless heavy use/lots of lid open events), the compressor will be off. It will come on and bring the temp to about 3 below what you set it as, and then shut off until the temp is around 3 above what you set it as (that's the entire cycle).

How much time the compressor spends being on versus off will depend a lot of personal mileage: some people will open the lid 20 times to grab 20 things over 2 hours, and some people will open the lid just a few times. Some people/their pets might just leave the lid open to get a whiff of cool air/stick their head in it for a few minutes, and that's going to be very costly in terms of power consumption. Personally, i averaged about 20W continuous over the long run.

Lets say its 30Watts hours per hour is your average during the day/heavy use hours. When you are sleeping/not using it, it's way less (cooler at night). It's probably not far off to guess the entire day's average use to be around ~20watt hours per hour.

Now, 24 hours at 20Watt hours per hour (compressor on ~1/3rd of the time) = ~480watt hours per day:
- a 100W solar panel (plugs directly into power bank) will get you about 60watts continuous while the sun is out, so 8 hours of sunlight = 480watts hours.
- Your AC port in the back of your LC is 100W continuous, so 5 hours of driving/alternator charging will refill 500 watt Hours.
- Your starter battery has excess charge left after a drive, so transfer that to your bank after you park (via 12V DC).

So on days where you can't get 8 hours of sunlight, chances are you'll have enough battery saved up in the power bank (Assuming you charged b4 trip). Worst case and everything is drained/no sunlight, just drive around for a few hours (unlikely that you'll need to unless it rains/cloudy the entire 3-4 days).

I have gotten by with one similar to the 250wH one on ICECO's site (mine was a jackery 240), but for you guys i'd recommend a 500-1000 watt hour bank. They're all pretty similar but if you ever see a Group buy or good discount on a Jackery 500 or bigger (20% ish is their sale discount), then i'd grab it! With no discount then just get whichever one is the best deal (Renogy banks are good as well, and there are many many others that i haven't researched).
Bluetti is running a sale at the moment. They have a 700W power bank and 200W solar panel combo that would work great for this.

Bluetti is running a sale at the moment. They have a 700W power bank and 200W solar panel combo that would work great for this.
That’s another good brand. It’s been over a year since I dug around for power banks and researched Market prices, but I did figure out that the industry standard is about $1 per wH (watt hour). For off brands you can sometime see as low as 50 cents per watt hour (Bluetti Kickstarter projects were some of the best deals), and it’s rare to see name brands at below 75 cents per wH (Bluetti, renogy, Jackery, Goal Zeros and etc). That should give you an idea of what a good deal is.

Solar panels were also similar, as in about $1-1.5 per watt with off brands, with name brands going as high as $3 per watt (Jackery panels).

I purchased a Ecoflow River Pro last week from Costco... they are running the Ecoflow River Pro + Expansion battery for $699... It's a total of 1400wH ($0.50/wh)... 700wh for the pro and an additional 700wh for the expansion.

They also have the Ecoflow river pro without the expansion for $429... ($0.61/wh).

The River pro features a quick charge ability that allows you to charge from 0-80% in about 60 minutes... and to full in about 100 minutes. Reviews are generally positive with people comparing the brand favorably to Jackery/Bluetti

Special ends 6/20.

I purchased a Ecoflow River Pro last week from Costco... they are running the Ecoflow River Pro + Expansion battery for $699... It's a total of 1400wH ($0.50/wh)... 700wh for the pro and an additional 700wh for the expansion.

They also have the Ecoflow river pro without the expansion for $429... ($0.61/wh).

The River pro features a quick charge ability that allows you to charge from 0-80% in about 60 minutes... and to full in about 100 minutes. Reviews are generally positive with people comparing the brand favorably to Jackery/Bluetti

Special ends 6/20.
Judging from the picture on their site of the Solar panels hooked up while it is powering devices, I assume it at least has DC pass-through charging; if not both AC and DC pass through. I have had one power bank without pass-through charging (Renogy 72000 mah laptop bank) and likely will never buy another.

I Also assume it has low-voltage cutoff so that it can be charged by car battery while car is off, which may be important to some mud members.

If that’s the case I wouldn’t hold my breath for a better deal. Thanks for sharing!

Hey @SharpeCat thanks for organizing all this!

I kind of really like how the VL Pro looks, could we possibly add that as an option for the next group buy? Maybe by then they'll have the trays/covers available as well.

Hey @SharpeCat thanks for organizing all this!

I kind of really like how the VL Pro looks, could we possibly add that as an option for the next group buy? Maybe by then they'll have the trays/covers available as well.
My pleasure boss and ty.

It is a limited option for this time around, and i will do what i can to make sure the next one goes more smoothly. I did send you a coupon for 20% off, i assume it still works as no one has told me otherwise. Gl!

Special ends 6/20.
That’s a great deal through Costco! Good find. I looked @SharpeCat and it does appear to offer pass through charging. It also has a regulated 12v port which is a great feature that a lot of these solar generators fall short on.

@SharpeCat Any word when Iceco will start contacting folks on the list to take our money for the TRs and VL60 duals?

I’m hoping to test mine out on a trip next weekend the 18-20th (but not the end of the world if it’s not here in time)

@SharpeCat Any word when Iceco will start contacting folks on the list to take our money for the TRs and VL60 duals?

I’m hoping to test mine out on a trip next weekend the 18-20th (but not the end of the world if it’s not here in time)
I actually didn't see a form from you, but i will pass your info along to Lu and ask him to check the list.

Should we confirm to make sure we are on the list to be contacted. Just in case something went wrong with the online form.
Here is what i have so far, going by mud usernames. Non visible names are @BovEteRT @Luckysdad @plurpimpin @Radski @TNhunter @dualstation @tritonl @MiamiC70 shows twice because he is interested in multiple models.

Tagging visible names to confirm there is a form from you. @4jbird @Finges @MiamiC70 @purpony @SION1771 @dittothat @peetul83 @typester

If your name isn't listed above, i do not have an order form for a TR45/TR60/VL65 Dual from you.

Also, if you did not add a phone number, i would edit it into your form; you can message me and i will edit it into the form for you as well. It might make things easier.

For those interested in other models, message me for a code for 20% (limited supply).

orders.PNG

Last edited:
I actually didn't see a form from you, but i will pass your info along to Lu and ask him to check the list.

Should I resubmit the form? I did it immediately after you put the form up last week. Wanting to get a TR45.

I've just been patiently waiting to hear back trying not to bombard you or Lu.

Should I resubmit the form? I did it immediately after you put the form up last week. Wanting to get a TR45
Was a mistake, i found the form and forwarded it to lu anyways. Let me know if they contact you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom