approx cost for an engine swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

G

I've been looking pretty hard for an FJ40 over the last few weeks. I'm working with a fairly fixed budget, so I'm trying to add up costs of mods/repairs so I can figure out what I can afford.

Can someone give me an approx cost of doing an engine swap (not including the cost of the engine)? It would be into a 70s FJ40 (probably mid to late 70s). My first choice, at this stage of the game, would probably be a S/C 3.4L V6 out of a 3rd gen 4Runner with an auto tranny.

I'm just looking for a ball park figure. Any help would be appreciated.

The adapter from the auto to a FJ40 t-case will be the expensive part....not even sure that one is made, and have heard of no one doing that swap....you MAY be in unexplored (read $$$$$) territory.

Adapters and misc stuff for a V8 swap (350/auto to Cruiser case) with all the misc junk usually adds into the $1k range, plus the motor. Can be done cheaper, but as I'm finding with a "simple" 350 carb swap to a 350 TBI swap, the misc junk can add up quickly.

Is the problem the 3.4L Toyota motor, or the auto tranny? If it's the auto tranny, I might be in trouble as I really prefer autos. If it's the 3.4, is there another toyota engine popular with FJ people?

I'm a 4Runner (IFS) guy looking for something a little less practical, a little more capable, and a lot more fun. Bare with my beginner questions.

Thanks.

AFAIK, no companies have made adapters that mate a newer Toyota motor or tranny with the older FJ40-era trannies or transfer cases. The common swaps are the Chevy 4.3 V6 or 350 smallblocks, and some are getting into the newer 5.3 and 6.0 V8's now. Ford motors are not as common, but are done. Toyota-type swaps usually involve a newer Cruiser motor (3FE or whatever from a 62/80 series) since those retain the offset diffs and newer t-cases with the auto tranny.

If you want to do the 3.4 V6 with the auto, keep the t-case, swap in a centered rear axle from a toyota pickup, and you'll need to source a drivers-side drop front axle (FJ40's are passenger side drop now) or plan to swap the housing around....

if your a 4runner guy buy a late model runner and do a soild axle swap

G'day,
First of all, I doubt that a 3.4 V6 would have the power you would want for a 40 series: why not a Vortec 4.3 V6 or 5.7 litre V8? Much cheaper to aquire, more plentiful, and there are tonnes of installation kits.
I have a 2000 Vortec 5.7 litre in my HJ47, and it was an easy swap. This was the first one I had done, and I did it in the garage with no real specialty tools: welder, hoist and a floor jack, realy. The power is great, torque is all I could want (though not as much as my turbo diesel at extreemely low RPM, but much more available on the road and certainly plenty for off-road) and best of all: parts are all over. I love my Vortec, and would not go back (though I do miss the fuel economy I had).
Cost? US$800 for the instal kit from Advance Adapters, and then another $1200 for wireing, knick knacks, spare bits, drive shaft adjustments, etc. Then, add $500 just for fun, as you will spend it. BUT, it is worth every last penny when you are done!!
Cheers,
Josh Boltrek

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom