Anza Borrego exploring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Recently spent 5 days exploring the 600,000 acres of Anza Borrego State Park. Needlessly to say I only touched the tip of the iceberg.

Stats
5 day 4 nights
Solo with my wonder dog Sam
1069 total miles traveled
~200 miles of dirt
12.7 overall MPG
12 tire air down/up
20 miles hiked

Just north of Ocotillo, CA on Hwy 8

IMG_2214.jpg

Camped at Dos Cabezas Train Station

IMG_2220.jpg

Morning light

IMG_2260.jpg

More of remains of the station

IMG_2272.jpg

IMG_2278.jpg

Last edited:
The team for the 10 mile+ hike.
In the background the main reason for my travel - Goat Trestle Bridge
The largest curved wood trestle bridge in the world. Over 2 football fields wide and almost 1 field deep built in some of the most difficult terrain. The trestle bridge completed in 1919 and was part of the "impossible railroad" 11 miles of track in 12 years along with the main trestle there are several other with 17 tunnels. A magnificent display of engineering, built when men were men.
IMG_2469.jpg
IMG_2498.jpg
IMG_2386.jpg
IMG_2498.jpg
IMG_2532.jpg

Last edited:
Day 3

Borrego Springs, Galleta Meadows Metal Sculptures placed randomly in the middle of the desert. All metal with incredible detail and a must see if you are ever in the area.
IMG_2588.jpg
IMG_2638.jpg
IMG_2644.jpg
IMG_2664.jpg
IMG_2696.jpg

Last edited:
Day 4

Annual stop at Slab City. Run down Painted Canyon to trail and a quick hike to the end. After dark super narrow canyon run looking for the ideal camp spot.:rolleyes:

IMG_2737.jpg
IMG_2741.jpg
IMG_2745.jpg
IMG_2760.jpg
IMG_2762.jpg

Last edited:
How cold did the evenings get?

I know, man - what a tease!

That's what we call artistic tension via a slow roll. :popcorn:

Awesome place! So many really neat areas. Let me know next time you are out, maybe I can drive out and join you for a day trip or overnighter.

Awesome place! So many really neat areas. Let me know next time you are out, maybe I can drive out and join you for a day trip or overnighter.

Looks like a return in 2 weeks for another trip to Goat Trestle and check off some metal sculpture in Borrego Springs that I missed last time? Have a little un scheduled time any suggestion in the NE part of the park or Salton Sea area. Off road capability is limited traveling in the Lexus.

I rarely get up to the NE part of the park, usually stay south of the 78. If you will be up north I highly recommend Lower Coyote Canyon. The trailhead is just outside of town at the end of DiGiorgio Road, very close to the sculptures. You can camp in Sheep Canyon, do some hiking up to the palms, and drive a bit further north and then hike to Bailey's Cabin.

Here is a nice map that shows most of the highlights.
http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/638/files/abdspmap.pdf

I rarely get up to the NE part of the park, usually stay south of the 78. If you will be up north I highly recommend Lower Coyote Canyon. The trailhead is just outside of town at the end of DiGiorgio Road, very close to the sculptures. You can camp in Sheep Canyon, do some hiking up to the palms, and drive a bit further north and then hike to Bailey's Cabin.

Here is a nice map that shows most of the highlights.
http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/638/files/abdspmap.pdf

Cool I will definitely check out you suggestions. I stop in the visitors center and made my contribution and picked up the everything you wanted to know about Anza Borrego Desert Region and an off road recreational map to add to the PDF.

Updated pics
Anza Borrego State Park - With over 600,000 acres, Anza-Borrego Desert State Park is the largest state park in the contiguous United States. 500 miles of dirt roads, 12 wilderness areas and miles of hiking trails provide visitors with an unparalleled opportunity to experience the wonders of the Colorado Desert.

Much more to follow in the next couple weeks with another 4 day trip scheduled for this coming weekend. Then the following weekend I will be meeting 125 American Adventurist members for another 4 days Anza Borrego experience in the hopes I can get my fill on the area.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Then the following weekend I will be meeting 125 American Adventurist members for another 4 days Anza Borrego experience in the hopes I can get my fill on the area.

Have you been to the mud caves? I am considering heading out that way, but would require going up the diablo dropoff which can be interesting if it recently rained.

diablo dropoff

Didnt have time to get to the mud caves last year with you guys

I youtubed diablo dropoff and Im all in! looks like fun

Coyote Canyon - Looking to do it this coming weekend for some water crossing fun. Any info?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom