Anza Borrego club run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Attached is a map of AB with possible trails highlighted in green. I've circled possible camp spots in red.

Possible Trails (or combination)
a) oriflamme canyon from Banner down to Blair Valley. Scenic cruise past working private gold mines, then technical down hill. Depending on timing can set up camp @ Blair valley. RISK: gate @ banner could be locked (hit or miss). Can recovery by heading further south to....Bow willow camp spot.
b) Bow willow into "great over land stage route" which will dump into Seco Del Diablo (w. diablo drop). Pass through Fish Creek. to....
c) Grape Vine Canyon trail up to Ranchita.

Most all can be done in stock rigs (or aggressive Subaru's). Unsure of Diablo Drop off as never done. Primitive camping allowed all through the park, fires require a metal pan.

This route can also be broken up over several days/trips. Note that this can be an aggressive 2 day/1 night or relaxed 3 day/2 night loop

Open for discussion/research......

Attachments

• proposed SoCal LC borrego trip map.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 167
Forgot to mention, for the hardcore, there is the pinyon mountain trail, through "fat man's misery" (too narrow for full sized rigs) into the "heart attack hill" (possible front/side rolls on this). Merges into Fish Creek which merges w. b above.

Dates again please.

Forgot to mention, for the hardcore, there is the pinyon mountain trail, through "fat man's misery" (too narrow for full sized rigs) into the "heart attack hill" (possible front/side rolls on this). Merges into Fish Creek which merges w. b above.
Never heard it called fat mans misery, just 'the squeeze'. There have been 1 or 2 that have managed an 80 thru the squeeze with some very accurate spotting!!

Hi Gals/guys,

I can only do the Anza Borrego run the weekend of 4/23-4/25.

If the club decides otherwise, I can forward appropriate gpx routes to who ever is trail boss.

I did do a scouting trip this past weekend on one of the trails I suggested....the diablo drop off. Did not make it to the drop off due to time constraints (about 1/4 mile shy). the part I covered is subaru friendly and very scenic. Plenty of dispersed camping spots on this section. If more radical terrain is desired, the narrow rig crowd can do the squeeze which meets up w. the diablo trail. plenty of dispersed camping spots on this section.

That's all the news that is not fit to print.

P.S. traffic is increasing on highways. did run into several backups yesterday (sunday). First I've seen this since the C*&^ word.

With the large number of 80's and 100's on the Last Chance run, I'd skip planning on the Squeeze on top of Pinyon Mountain. Not a chance we'd get through there. Nice run from either side to either the top of the Squeeze or to the bottom of the drop off below the Squeeze, but not through it! LOL!!

With the large number of 80's and 100's on the Last Chance run, I'd skip planning on the Squeeze on top of Pinyon Mountain. Not a chance we'd get through there. Nice run from either side to either the top of the Squeeze or to the bottom of the drop off below the Squeeze, but not through it! LOL!!
Hi Gals/guys,

I can only do the Anza Borrego run the weekend of 4/23-4/25.

If the club decides otherwise, I can forward appropriate gpx routes to who ever is trail boss.

I did do a scouting trip this past weekend on one of the trails I suggested....the diablo drop off. Did not make it to the drop off due to time constraints (about 1/4 mile shy). the part I covered is subaru friendly and very scenic. Plenty of dispersed camping spots on this section. If more radical terrain is desired, the narrow rig crowd can do the squeeze which meets up w. the diablo trail. plenty of dispersed camping spots on this section.

That's all the news that is not fit to print.

P.S. traffic is increasing on highways. did run into several backups yesterday (sunday). First I've seen this since the C*&^ word.

Tell me about the traffic. It took 3 hours to get home from Twenty Nine Palms to Anaheim. Most of the traffic was through the Banning Pass construction area. The secret is to stay in the fast lane, it splits to the left and separates from the main traffic behind a K Rail and flows faster than the other traffic for a little while.

Hm...did not think of Salton sea RT 86 to 10 as a possible route for the north OC crowd.

The referenced traffic was 78 into 5 north on way back to south OC.

I will check both routes today/tomorrow (Sunday) for early/late afternoon traffic.

Just saw the 4/1 email push for the April Club Meeting Reminder & March Club Run Report (could this be april fools :doh: ).

Anyway, as mentioned above, I will be mia for that weekend (10th year anniversary trip to big sur in wife's subaru...no softroading due to area closures:bang:).

I also mentioned that I could do the following weekend.

All that being said, let me know who the trail boss is for the official April Club Run - April 17-18, Anza Borrego, and I can work with them on a few routes.

Finally, remember the 1st rule of off-roading...never put her in reverse😅.

Still not getting emails

Hi all - Here's an update from Yesterday's club meeting.
Just saw the 4/1 email push for the April Club Meeting Reminder & March Club Run Report (could this be april fools :doh: ).

Anyway, as mentioned above, I will be mia for that weekend (10th year anniversary trip to big sur in wife's subaru...no softroading due to area closures:bang:).

I also mentioned that I could do the following weekend.

All that being said, let me know who the trail boss is for the official April Club Run - April 17-18, Anza Borrego, and I can work with them on a few routes.

Finally, remember the 1st rule of off-roading...never put her in reverse😅.
Hi David,

First of all, thank you for all the work you put into planning this run! I'm so sorry, but a couple of other members also had scheduling conflicts for the weekend of April 23-25, so we are keeping the club run on April 17-18. Again, I'm very sorry that you can't make it that weekend, but I completely understand. I hope you have a great Anniversary trip! Big Sur should be absolutely beautiful. I printed the map you attached on the original post. Between that map, my SoCal Trail Guide book, Trailsoffroad, and GAIA GPS, I should be able to function as trail leader that day.

Anyone interested in camping Friday night?

Won't be able to make the run this month, something about my wife's birthday. If someone can record the route and share that would be awesome.

Won't be able to make the run this month, something about my wife's birthday. If someone can record the route and share that would be awesome.
I'll be recording on GAIAGPS.

As our plans for Saturday include Blair Valley and hopefully a hike up Ghost Mountain to the Marshall South house, here's a link to some of the history surrounding Marshall South and his house on the mountain as taken from Desert Magazine. I hope you find the read enjoyable. I had the privilege of taking this hike in 2016 with the author of a book on South and while up at the homestead, we called Rider South, who at the time was alive and well living in San Diego County.

Details finalized at our April club meeting as follows:

This will be a day run, with optional overnight camping. We'll meet at The Friends of Julian Library (1850 CA Highway 78) at 9:30 AM. We'll caravan up to Banner, for the trailhead for Oriflamme Canyon to air down and hit the trail (if the gate is unlocked - if it's locked, we can head over to Grapevine Canyon). We will make up the rest of the day's itinerary as we go along, based on vehicle/driver capabilities. Our tentative plan is to run Oriflamme Canyon, and maybe another trail or two in the area, before camping in either Blair Valley or Little Blair Valley, for those who are making it an overnight trip. Sunday, those who've camped can run another trail, if so inclined.

If you're planning to attend this run, will you please check-in on this thread and indicate if this will be a day trip for you, or if you're planning to camp Saturday night?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom