Anyone willing to help me up my Gaia game? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got back from 5 days with some friends in NE Montana on the Outlaws Run with Rising Sun. I was impressed with some of the guys running Gaia at an efficient level and I had to come to grips I am letting my mid-level membership go to waste. I have been a paper map guy my whole life, but there was no denying the advantages of the Gaia info when we got DEEEEEEP into the back country. When each of my paper maps info ended, we were still able to figure out a lot of needed info on both our legal route and legal camping spots.

I just bit the bullet and bought a Samsung Tablet of eBay and a new RAM Mount for it. I already have a Dual XGPS150A Bluetooth GPS Receiver that I was using with my phone. I bought the Samsung for the expanded memory slot. It will be a dedicated GPS at this point. In Colorado we nearly always had cell service, so the map downloading is a new component that is slowing me down in the learning curve. Up here I rarely have any service so I need to download all my maps before hand... that is where the water gets muddy for me.

What I would like to do is see if anyone has been running this for a while and is willing to show me their pre-trip ritual, map downloading, layers of maps used and tricks/use once on the trail... I am willing to cook up a fat steak for anyone willing to come and help me explore this a bit more. I have learned just enough to be dangerous and have set up an account.

Anyone up for something like this? My gear should be here in a week or so, no big rush... just needing some help getting to a useful level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom