Anyone using a rhino rack with a rooftop tent? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
We picked up a small camper that has rhino rack bars, free spirit rooftop tent and a rhino rack 270 degree awning. It works out great with the family, but there will be times where it might be nice to mount it on the land cruiser and go without the trailer. Does anyone have a similar setup? What mounting changes do you make when moving from the trailer to the cruiser? Do you have a special rack setup on the cruiser, or do you mount to the factory rack rails?

Last edited:
The factory rails i don't believe are rated for anything as heavy as a RTT. You'd need to get either Thule, Yakima, Rhino, or other cross bars. Other option would be to do a full roof rack like Frontrunner. The only other part you'd have to figure out is lifting the 150lbs+ tent from trailer to 200. I also have a small offroad trailer with RTT for the family. For smaller trips i have slept in the 200, sometimes consider using a ground tent. usually it's easier just to grab the trailer since all the stuff is already packed. Kinda hard to have multiple setups

I had a Tepui Autana Ruggedized mounted to a Pioneer Platform on my 2006 Range Rover. I didn't like the way the tent mounted to the Pioneer add-on bars, so I just drilled through the platform and mounted directly to the planks. It was lower profile, looked better and I suspect it was more solid mounting. I added washer on the underside to ensure the nuts didn't rip through the plank. It was very solid.

Thanks for the info.

I've got Thule bars for the LC, so may try them.

I recently decided that at my age, I am over ground tents unless absolutely necessary.

I'm debating a garage roof mounted setup to lift the tent off the camper for winter storage, so if I do this, I could use it to swap the tent over as necessary.

I think maybe in retrospect, I'm just looking for an excuse to buy a platform... :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom