Anyone running without doors? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lol

"Cattywampus, or How I completely screwed up a perfectly good 80 series wagon," by Eric Hagan.

hahahahahahaha.... not really.
After you posted this, and you reached down for your twig and berries, was it hard? Did you get off by this? What trails did you run at the Crawl last month, I missed you there. I'm sure you were there since it was a TLCA event literally 10 miles from your house.

The discussion that 80's are ridiculously cheap these days has been beaten to death, so I won't get into the whole resale value of these things and lowering resale value by wheeling them.
What I will get into is this: I laid in the hospital for the better part of 6 months this year almost dying from meningitis, then leaking cerebralspinal fluid, then an infection of cerebralspinal fluid, an infection that I was the third person to ever have at UAB medical center and the FIRST to walk out having survived, an infection that over 95% of people die from. The antibiotic is not even made unless a person needs it from pfizer. So you posting up trying to make yourself feel big by laughing at my junk, hmm, makes me laugh.

While I laid there, I promised myself that if I ever got the opportunity to ever again get to do whatever the hell I wanted to do, then I would. I'm enjoying wheeling right now as my main hobby, and my junk was not where it needed to be to take it to the next level body-wise. I used to watch people do trails I wanted to do, and really wanted to do them. My drive train would do it, but the body of the 80 would not. So I chopped what I needed to to make it through tight trails. I'm now to the point that I need to be able to peer out and lean out a little more than I can now with doors on, so what do I do?.... remove the doors and make tube doors.
The 80 is no buggy, but like I said before, they are cheap now, and out of the box the best vehicle to build up that Toyota ever made.

I'm about done with this 80's forum, I guess what I do is too stupid for most people here. I needed examples of how to do it like wire plugs and stuff and most of you here just wanna hate. I'll ask woody to make a theory forum for those who want to hypothesize rather than provide people with real info.

After you posted this, and you reached down for your twig and berries, was it hard? Did you get off by this? What trails did you run at the Crawl last month, I missed you there. I'm sure you were there since it was a TLCA event literally 10 miles from your house.

The discussion that 80's are ridiculously cheap these days has been beaten to death, so I won't get into the whole resale value of these things and lowering resale value by wheeling them.
What I will get into is this: I laid in the hospital for the better part of 6 months this year almost dying from meningitis, then leaking cerebralspinal fluid, then an infection of cerebralspinal fluid, an infection that I was the third person to ever have at UAB medical center and the FIRST to walk out having survived, an infection that over 95% of people die from. The antibiotic is not even made unless a person needs it from pfizer. So you posting up trying to make yourself feel big by laughing at my junk, hmm, makes me laugh.

While I laid there, I promised myself that if I ever got the opportunity to ever again get to do whatever the hell I wanted to do, then I would. I'm enjoying wheeling right now as my main hobby, and my junk was not where it needed to be to take it to the next level body-wise. I used to watch people do trails I wanted to do, and really wanted to do them. My drive train would do it, but the body of the 80 would not. So I chopped what I needed to to make it through tight trails. I'm now to the point that I need to be able to peer out and lean out a little more than I can now with doors on, so what do I do?.... remove the doors and make tube doors.
The 80 is no buggy, but like I said before, they are cheap now, and out of the box the best vehicle to build up that Toyota ever made.

I'm about done with this 80's forum, I guess what I do is too stupid for most people here. I needed examples of how to do it like wire plugs and stuff and most of you here just wanna hate. I'll ask woody to make a theory forum for those who want to hypothesize rather than provide people with real info.

:eek: WOW!

LandCruisers have always been merely an excellent starting point for those who really want a durable trailworthy rig that meets their very specific individual needs. For the rest of us, the 80 is an excellent DD vehicle that can outperform lesser rigs on the trail even after they've been modified. There's room for both, and beauty in each.

DougM

This thread would have been real interesting if the following 3 things were true:

1. Woody had NOT posted that warning about personal attacks
2. This thread were in sChat
3. Atticus felt like fighting.

I was really expecting to see the Atticus body slam after that smart ass comment.

Amen. I am glad to still have your funky ass around. You could always do a half door b/c bill riley will have one cheap to cut up.

no doors no roof.

I like the way you did that. I havent really seen a cut up 80 that I like the way it looks. (Besides Slee's) It is like the fj55, they don't make astecially pleasing buggies imo.

LS, I think you are taking opinions too much to heart. It is great to see people trying new things and seeing how it improves the vehicle to their use. I have the same problem with tight trails in Pa. My rear pillar is dented right now. I would rather cut the top off once it get bashed in than do what you did. Not to say your solution isn't cool.

Last edited:
now thats sexy...............

Truck looks good too :D... did you just pick that up in VA or is that an older project?

Amen. I am glad to still have your funky ass around. You could always do a half door b/c bill riley will have one cheap to cut up.

Good looking out! Me and Bill Riiiiiiley have already chatted about said doors, he's knows I'm gonna buy them. They sold, just haven't decided price!

no doors no roof.

pics saved! That's exactly what I eventually want... the truck too!
Who did the cage? I'm curious if you or him have more detailed pics you can email.

LS, I think you are taking opinions too much to heart. It is great to see people trying new things and seeing how it improves the vehicle to their use. I have the same problem with tight trails in Pa. My rear pillar is dented right now. I would rather cut the top off once it get bashed in than do what you did. Not to say your solution isn't cool.

Broseph, My rear end was banged up, that's why I cut it, because I physically could not take the lines I wanted to. (Not saying you don't because it sounds like you do) But if you wheel your 80 to the extreme in tight places you quickly learn theat the back top part is the most vunerable.
As far as personal attacks, When someone calls you out like I was called out, what you gonna do? shake a hand and congratulate them?

This thread would have been real interesting if the following 3 things were true:

1. Woody had NOT posted that warning about personal attacks
2. This thread were in sChat
3. Atticus felt like fighting.

I was really expecting to see the Atticus body slam after that smart ass comment.

First off, I said nothing to Atticus prior to him personally attacking my junk. Period. People shouldn't talk s*** unless they expect it flung back at them, cause i'm a monkey. This ain't chat, this is tech, I wanted tech help not chit chat patty wack.

Let's get back to doors, my chit-chat section is at my local club meetings.

LandCruisers have always been merely an excellent starting point for those who really want a durable trailworthy rig that meets their very specific individual needs. For the rest of us, the 80 is an excellent DD vehicle that can outperform lesser rigs on the trail even after they've been modified. There's room for both, and beauty in each.

DougM

Once again Doug puts into words exactly what I'm thinking.

I love the trend toward 'hardcore' 80's, but the majority of the people on this forum don't quite 'get' it.

I've watched this evolution before on other forums, and I'm sure it will all work out fine in the end, but it's usually a tumultuous transition.

The body on an 80 will flex enough that you can literally pop the windshield glass out of place if the gasket is not glued to the body and the glass (both sides).

I can believe this since the glass can carry major shear load if installed properly.

I've seen reports from folks who did wheel without the doors...and then had trouble getting them back on.

Admittedly, I have not read these reports. But, trouble with installation does not imply a permanent distortion from strain around the door jam.

80's are designed with the doors are a key part of the structure.

I have to respecfully disagree here. My 1st structures mentor taught me, "the load goes where you put it." The door latch mechanisms on the 80 do not have under-body-frame-like stiffness; therefore, while they may contribute some to the overall torsional stiffness of the vehicle, they are not a significant source of stiffness for a true frame-like load path.

...my $0.02.

-KK

Eric:

I am stoked to see that you are doing what you want to with your rig. Sorry that you are so sensitive to being teased about it.

You and I use our 80s for different things. That is one of the best features of the 80 platform: its flexibility. For my part, I think it is kind of strange to take a perfectly functioning, relatively straight 80 wagon and butcher it. If it were a rollover or something, then absolutely. Then again, I am not, and never have claimed to be, a "hard core" wheeler. I need my truck for daily driving, sometimes hundreds of miles in a day, driving off-road to hard to get places, driving the baby around, throwing a wet dog or dead deer in the back, and taking six people to football games, etc. To me, it's like a go-anywhere, take-anything station wagon. People on this site definitely like to look down on the web wheelers, but it's all in good fun, so there's no need to have a stroke over someone else's opinion. I guess one of my points is that there is not one single other vehicle that exists that could do everything that I do in mine with the ease and comfort that it does it, but there are lots that could do what you are trying to do. To me, the chop jobs kill the best part of the 80. But, if it makes you happy, go bananas. I'm cool with it, but that doesn't mean I can't have a contrary opinion.

Not all of us can take the weekend off from our job and our young family to go drive around outside for two days. If you can do it, awesome. I love to read about it. It's fun for me to live through y'all. But, I can't go myself.

Anyway, glad that you're getting better, and glad that you like what you've done to your truck. If it makes you happy, it makes me happy.

Cheers,
Jay

There's a world of difference between repeated flexing causing problems and opening the doors occasionally.

Also, when you open the doors the rig isn't flexing any more. It's static. It's when the truck is getting flexed that you'll have problems.

Now I understand, so when all 4 tires are on the ground, but with slightly different weights there is a body flex problem and when all of the weight is on 2 opposing tires, the other 2 are in the air the body jumps back to straight? Do you use somo’s calculator?:D

The doors will prevent the body from flexing past a certain point. Even if the body goes a little past that point, it won't actually hurt it because it will "snap back" into shape.

It's when the body gets twisted a lot beyond that point when it starts to deform.

If you've ever bent tubing, you'll see exactly what I mean in practice. If you want a 90* bend, you cannot bend it just 90*. You need to bend it 100+* (depending on the tubing) because it will snap back some.

I’m no were near an expert, but have bent tons of metal, have used frame machines to straighten frames, bodies, have done enough body work to be well aware and critical of body lines and gaps. Have spotted bunches of rigs off-road, some of which (mostly domestic rigs) have big frame/body flex issues, body gaps opening and closing, big creaking from body panels hitting, rubbing on each other, doors that are hard to open and sometimes cant be closed until the rig is back on flat ground. But have never seen this on an ’80, their frame/body appears to be well designed, matched to have very little body flex, I have never seen one where the body flex was even detectable to the eye.

Anyway, the doors do take a fair amount of stress. It's not just the hinges and the pin. As an oversimplified example, the doors are (roughly) square, this means that when the body is flexed the doors will contact the frame at 4 different points.

Where are the points where your doors hit the body, how big is the area that is dented/paint warn off, does it creak, bang when it hits? I have seen this on other brands of rigs, but never on an ’80, has your rig been in a big accident, had frame repair?

Tools, you're thinking like me, I've never seen mine or anyone elses paint rub in the jams because they've rubbed.
I was helping a friend with his front axle on his 60 yesterday and his convertible was there, he showed me his frame supports on his door (not lathces) because of potential warp, I remember these on my old convertible, we don't have these on 80's because we have pillars that connect to a roof.
If my doors won't go on after I wheel it, I doubt that's it's because flex, more because the huge bolder was harder than my pillar!

Running 37" bias swampers means I'm not daily driving this that much anymore, but it still gets up to speed amazingly.

Heading to paint the door jams....

IMG00197.jpg

IMG00196.jpg

^ Nice! Now Lets go wheeling!!! ^

Now I understand, so when all 4 tires are on the ground, but with slightly different weights there is a body flex problem and when all of the weight is on 2 opposing tires, the other 2 are in the air the body jumps back to straight? Do you use somo’s calculator?:D

Hey now, them's fightin' words. :p

Seriously though, forces are different when a vehicle is in motion then when it's static. That's simple physics.

Where are the points where your doors hit the body, how big is the area that is dented/paint warn off, does it creak, bang when it hits? I have seen this on other brands of rigs, but never on an ’80, has your rig been in a big accident, had frame repair?

No accidents or frame repairs.

My point about the doors was not that it's going to wear/dent. The weather gasket alone will largely prevent this (not to mention the shape of the doors). Simply put, if you put a square object into a frame, and tweak the frame, the square will prevent the frame from bending past a certain point.

There is only a few millimeters between the door frame and the door. You don't think that the body is going to flex even that small amount?

I can't give you an obvious examples from the doors, but I can give you an example elsewhere.

DSC_0170.NEF.jpg

(Larger version)

The picture was taken to show the contrast between the duplicolor bedliner and the factory color, but I did catch something else there.

At the end of the flare there is a metal tab that the mud flaps attach to. This tab points straight down. You can see the tab right below the weather seal strip that is between the rear quarter panel body cladding and the flare.

If you follow where that tab points (down and to the left a bit) you can just make out a faint line.

This line came from ONE wheeling trip at McGrew. At the time my truck was basically stock (the picture has a 1" body lift, which is why the tab isn't close to that mark), but I had removed the flares and running boards for the trip.

The tab was approx 1/4" away from the bumper. Maybe a bit more, maybe slightly less, I didn't measure it, but there was a fairly large gap between the tab and bumper.

Now, on that trip I avoided all of the major obstacles as it was my first trip out and I was still learning the capabilities of the truck (did hit up plenty of stuff that flexed the truck nicely though). Plus I didn't want to beat it up too bad. So absolutely nothing hit my rear bumper to cause it to get pushed up into that tab (the only thing I hit was the bottom of my rear diff and my rear lower control arms).

My bumper was unmarked before that trip. After the trip it had matching grooves/marks on each side.

Now if nothing hit my rear bumper to cause it to get pushed up into the flare, where did the marks come from? The tabs simply weren't close enough to dig into it....unless my body flexed.

That tells me that, at the very least, the body flexes close to a quarter of an inch at that spot.

Now if my body can flex a quarter of an inch there, why wouldn't it be able to flex that much around the doors? And if the doors were removed, it's certainly possible that the body will flex further than with the doors on the truck. (Again, an object inside a frame will limit how much that frame flexes.) And it's ceratinly possible that if the body flexes beyond the capacity of the metal to spring back into the original shape (beyond the elasticity of the metal) then the body will actually deform slightly.

Considering how narrow the gap between the doors and the door frame (body) is, it would only need to take a couple MM of deformation (which will be nearly impossible to see visually) for the doors to be difficult to remount.

That right there is enough to decide for me never to run without doors. Between that and Dan and Slee saying it's a bad idea, it's just not worth it to me.

But that's just my experience and my two cents. Go ahead and try it for yourself, I'd love for someone to run without doors (well, someone to run without doors who hasn't rolled or cut the top off :lol: ) and report back on the effects of doign so. Who knows, maybe you'll run without doors all year and report back that it didn't make a difference, and the flex of the body isn't enough to overcome the elasticity of the metal.

My point about the doors was not that it's going to wear/dent. The weather gasket alone will largely prevent this (not to mention the shape of the doors). Simply put, if you put a square object into a frame, and tweak the frame, the square will prevent the frame from bending past a certain point.
Come on :rolleyes:, you have to admit that if the body flexed enough the doors would completely smash, rip, tear that rubber/foam around the door. No way the paint would stand up to that much pressure and there would be definate signs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom